PDA

View Full Version : My test tail!

Maple
08-29-2011, 03:29 AM
I am so happy and excited that I could burst! My Mum and I have been working on making a test tail for myself before I go ahead and make the orca tail I want. We measured last week and since I've been working insane hours, my Mum set to work.

The first test tail, which was going to be blue, didn't go as she planned, and ended up with no real fluke. The fabric wraps around the fin slightly but it's open on the sides. Taking what she learned in stride, she re-designed and we produced a purple tail with black ruffles on the side!

My Mum was so happy and excited we decided to give it a go right away - the top hadn't been hemmed yet. So we went to my Aunt's place across the street for the first test-swim...much to the interest of my immediate family. Good news: they don't think I'm nuts!

Testing out the water...

Colder than I thought!!

It took me a couple moments to get myself adjusted. I've been using the monofin a couple times a week since I got it, but having my legs pressed right together was very different than what I was used to. So I floundered around a little...

But in the end, I got it! I found the tail heavier than I thought - I didn't account for the spandex's weight in the water or that it does create a bit of drag. My Mum didn't think the fluke would pull down as much, hence why it looks like a ruffle at the bottom instead of a proper fluke. We're already planning on making the fluke start higher on the orca tail. After my Mum puts in the waist band (it blew down a couple times) I'll be sure to pose more photos. I am just SO EXCITED to finally have a tail to swim in!!

Odette
08-29-2011, 05:02 AM
i love it. even with the little issues, it looks nice and the ruffles are different than many i have seen.looks really neat.

inactive account
08-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Your tail is so beautiful Maple! I LOVE the color :D

Spindrift
08-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Wow, looking good. Maple, out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer if you don't want to), how old are you? For some reason I thought you were like, 14, or something. Weird.

Little_Orca
08-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats! :) You look great in it.

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Really like the unique black fins!

ivoryleopard
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Nice colors! it looks great!

Maple
08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow, looking good. Maple, out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer if you don't want to), how old are you? For some reason I thought you were like, 14, or something. Weird.

I just had to laugh at this! I guess I come off as very young at heart? :lol:

It's actually my birthday today! I have officially entered my late 20's. This terrifies me a little - when did I become a grown-up? I guess at my age I can't call myself a 'young adult' anymore either...eek!

And thank everyone for their wonderful comments. I was very nervous about posting pictures on here and very nervous about my tail - even though it's just the 'practice' tail.

Mermaid Saphira
11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Did you ever do your next tail?