PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush?

emma11
07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I have an airbrush, and I'd certainly love to use it on my tail, I think there could be a lot of good coming out of that.

however, my concern is that the latex will clog up the airbrush and render it... well useless.

Any help/knowledge?

ShyMer
07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
what kind of airbrush do you have? depending on how easy it is to take apart, it will be easier or harder to clean up.

I have a cheapo Master, a slightly better Master, and a Badger. Neither of the Masters are easy to clean because they don't come apart as nicely as the Badger, so I have trouble keeping them clear. Even so though, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

I mixed my latex with the paint and diluted it with water. I don't know if this is technically correct, but it worked just fine for me. I mixed my paint in an empty plastic water bottle so that I could shake it thoroughly, then I strained it with a fine mesh material (cheese cloth, netting, panty hose, whatever I happened to have, because I forget stuff.) If you strain the lumps out, you won't have nearly as many problems, but it will clog up eventually. If it seems to be having trouble coming out of the brush, check to see if there are lumps in the well, or if it's still having trouhble, take it apart the best you can. I used a flashlight to see and a toothpick (sometimes the airbrush needle, which probably isn't recommended) to pry out all the latex. It does tend to create a dried layer of latex on all of the inner surfaces, so watch for that, especially in the tip.

Definitely make sure you clean it thoroughly after you're done. You should be fine :)

emma11
07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
I have a few, though the one I wanted to use was this fairly cheap Dinair airbrush my mother bought for me last year. It hasn't had much use as of yet, and I don't mind breaking it, lol.

However, there are a few other options, also one that my father has had for a long time that comes with an air canister which essentially makes any liquid a spraypaint. If it's going to clog, I know I can take that one apart to clean it.

yay for latex! haha. Thank you so much for the help! I'm glad water will work to thin it out. :]

Thalassa
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I think Dinair is made more for makeup application than painting, isn't it?

emma11
07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
It can be used for some very large body painting pieces, which I've seen that are awesome. However, whether or not it can handle latex I do not know.

Though there are a few other options that I listed, haha.

ShyMer
07-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I was using my old master brush earlier with just thinned acrylic paint and it's giving me so many problems... the problem is that I can't take it apart enough to clean the entire inside, and there's something in it I can't get out. Make sure that whatever brush you use can be taken apart completely, or latex could cause some major headaches. I don't know what I would have done if I had to use this thing for my tail.

emma11
07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
haha, good points for sure. I think my father has a disposable airbrush that's an attachment to an air canister. Odd for sure, but it'll work, lol. Hopefully. If not, I'll hand paint the darn thing. A lot of work, but might be a little relaxing as well!

Elle
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Check out the smooth-on website.....They suggested some kind of paint thinner for airbrush application of one of their silicone options (I think)
It took me a while to find but i'd definately do some research

emma11
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Smooth-on is pretty darn awesome! Any other ideas for what airbrushes work best? And perhaps what paint to use with them?