PDA

View Full Version : MAKING 2 NEOPRENE TAILS FOR SALE!!!

LindseyLu
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
MAKING 2 NEW SPANDEX TAILS FOR SALE!!!

SORRY - THESE ARE SPANDEX, I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE :(

I am in the process of making two adult size painted spandex tails which will be up for sale on eBay once completed. I will post them on mernetwork first though, as I'd prefer one of you get them! ;) I'm currently in the process of gathering all the materials, but will begin posting progress pictures asap.

Here are the tail measurements and concept info:

★Purple Tail★
The plan for this tail is LOTS of shades of purples. The idea at this point is the tail will be a lighter shade of purple (lavendar) at the top gradually getting darker to the deep purple fluke. Considering blue accents, but not 100% on that yet.

Measurements are...
Waist = 33 inches
Hips = 38 inches
Thighs = 32 inches
Knees = 23 inches
Calves = 24 inches
Ankles = 15 inches
Belly button to toe tip = 48 inches
Finis Rapid monofin cut in fish fluke shape

★Aqua Tail★
This tail will be different shades of blue with sea green accents. I plan on having some creative fun with this one, so there is no real "plan" yet as to how the colors will be laid out.

Measurements are:
Waist = 33 inches
Hips = 38 inches
Thighs = 38 inches
Knees =24 inches
Calves = 32 inches
Ankles = 14 inch
Belly button to toe tip = 43"
Finis Rapid monofin cut in fish fluke shape

Feel free to contact me with any questions or interests! ;)

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Aqua Tail sounds coolio! Might hava look into that one : )

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Ooo and my friend likes the idea of the purple tail. She says she is definatley a potencial buyer! (gotta get through her parents first LOL)

Mermaid Hamant
08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Around how much would they be?

LindseyLu
08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks Aqua! :) I really do hope someone from the forum ends up with them! :)

CrazyHamantz - I haven't determined a set price yet because I haven't finished purchasing materials... :( The best estimate I can give right now is pretty vague, but I would estimate between $150.00-$500.00. I will only charge what I truly believe the tail is worth. If it doesn't turn out as well as I want, I obviously would sell it for a lesser price, but if it turns out ecxeptionally well, it will be closer to the $500.00 range.

I should also mention that the tails are neoprene, they will be hand painted, they will have a zipper in the back and at the fluke for the monofin, as well as extra details (possibly fins) and fringe. They are very laborous pieces of work, but I am really excited about them!!! :)

Mermaid Jewel
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Oo sounds exciting! I'm tempted but if I keep going like this, idk how many tails I'll have! Keep us updated though :)

LindseyLu
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
LOL!!!! I will for sure Jewel! Thank you! :) (ps...I totally thought of you while brainstorming for the purple tail!!!)

Spindrift
08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Your spandex one for Bella Blue was amazing! I would definitely be interested in your tails, but I don't think they'd fit me. :(
Good luck though! They'll probably turn out awesome.

Mermaid Hamant
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Awesome thanks! I am definately interested! I have never owned a neoprene tail before!

mermaid hannah
08-29-2011, 09:32 PM
hmm i may be interested as well! can't wait to see how they turn out! i wish people would do like contests for free tails!

happyguava
08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Ooooh, definitely interested :) Can't wait to see them!

Mermaid Jewel
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Why did you say that, Linds??? Now I want that tail!!!! D: haha

LindseyLu
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Awe Spindrift! Thank you, these aren't the last tails I'll be making so hopefully one of the next will be closer to your size! You're both beautiful (stil thinking back on you SeaSparkles avatar pic:)) and I would love to make either of you a tail! :) Especially with all your traveling, omg...you could get so much use out of it!!!

@ Mermaid Hannah - I think that's an AWESOME idea! I have thought about doing that as well...and I actually plan on doing a contest after selling couple tails so I can get ahead enough to afford the materials, etc! :) I promise I will be doing some kind of contest in the future to win a tail!

LOL Jewel! It's only the truth! When we were discussing a purple tail for you I got this image in my head and just had to do it!!! If you love it I can try to make one similar in a smaller size for you! Although I think your right, if you keep this up you'll have a better tail selction than Hannah Fraser even!!! LOL!!! :)

Thanks for your interest guys! I'm super excited for these too!!! Will be posting lots of updates to keep everyone up to date on progress! There is a fabric store nearby I can get black neoprene for a good price, but I'm looking to work with white so the colors really pop. Just having a hard time finding cheap white neoprene (NOT neoprin, don't think that will hold up well with lots of chlorine). Any suggestions there? I really want a white or colored canvas for these!

OH!! AND...I am leaning more towards making custom monofins for these instead of Wave monofins... I have the perfect foot pockets (much more comfortable then a Finis monofin!), and am going around this weekend to a few plastic stores to find a good flexible plastic. This way I can make the fluke in the shape I want! And if you'd like a reference, think of the finis mermaid monofin in an adult size :) In my opinion, that's the best looking fluke so that's what I want in my tails! I'll keep you all updated on my progress there as well!!!! TTFN! :)

mermaid hannah
08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
well! it sounds great but im deffs going to wait it out for the contest!!!!

so excited!

Mermaid Jewel
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm actually close to the size of the purple tail, I think my waist is a tad smaller though. But I'm gonna hold off for now, I'm already planning two tails and two more possibly coming my way... i don't even want to think about how many that'd be!! Haha

RêveD'eau
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
DEFINITELY put me down for the purple one :)

LindseyLu
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
LOL! It appears everyone wants a purple tail...I have recieved so many messages about that one!!! Maybe I should make two purple!?! I also want to let you all know the purpe tail foot pockets are for a women's size 8-10...but I am making them this size for a reason.l It would be better to have the foot pockets a little on the larger side so that you can wear neoprene socks and make the monofin more fitting. If the foot pockets are too small there is no way to fix this...I have even seen mers having to sell their expensive and personlized tails because the foot pockets were too small making the tail very uncomfortable and useless :(

Just a thought for those of you who are interested in the purple tail :) I haven't purchased the foot pockets for the aqua tail yet, but they will most likely be a little smaller as that tail is for a shorter person :) TTFN!

LindseyLu
09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Latest update!

I have most of my materials and am starting on the monofins this weekend :) I'm using a polycarbonate plastic which will be about the size of a competitor monofin cut into a fish fluke shape. The polycarbonate is about the same stiffness as a fiberglass fin, and being totally flat will not have the raised ridges like the wave/rapid. The foot pockets will also be placed very close together to narrow the width of the ankle and calf area. They are open toe and rubber so they should be comfortable while swimming.

I have also decided to stick with spandex for these tails. Finding the right neoprene for a reasonable price has been exhausting and I've had no luck. This will make them more affordable and more accommodating for different body types. I've already bought the material, they are a nylon spandex which is nice and thick so you won't have problems with chlorine eating the material!

The paints are metallic and yes, of course there will be glittery details. I will also be sending a bottle of fabric glitter so you can reapply more when needed ;)
Very excited! Will post pictures as soon as I can! <3

RêveD'eau
09-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Mermaid Loki
05-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Wow, those are almost exactly me. Someone's gonna be very happy with those tails~!

Is the aqua one still for sale? XD

MerAnthony
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Would you consider a trade? I make hard wood small boxes. Out of oak, american cherry or walnut. Shape and picture of what you want.

Patches
09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Can't wait to see what these look like. (:

NatalieMermaid
09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Have the tails been finished are there pictures? I am very interested!!! Whatever happened with them?

Mermaid Saphira
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Have the tails been finished are there pictures? I am very interested!!! Whatever happened with them?

I believe LindseyLu is still in the process of making them, she has done alot of research to make the best neoprene tails to sell. Patience is a virtue ;)

MerEmma
09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Can't wait to see them!

Ashe
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
You're very committed to be making a pair of neoprene tails for over a whole year! I hope they turn out great, and two little mermaids are gonna be very happy! :)

LindseyLu
09-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the interest in these tails guys! :) Sorry it's taking me so long to complete them...lot's of trial and error over the past year, and with loss of half our household income it's been a struggle to finish them! The good news though, is that they should be complete within the next month or two.

Here's the latest:
The monofins are not going to be polycarbonate. Although this thought is nice, perfecting them is not so much, and I will not sell something that I'm not 110% satisfied with. I just don't trust the plastic enough against snapping. I know magictail.de uses small polycarb fins, but the larger design just doesn't perform like I hoped it would. So, that being said, I am using these rapid monofins instead...

Also, I had mentioned before that I am not using neoprene on these, and have switched back to spandex. Although I do expect to be making neoprene tails in the future. Also, I will not be using a zipper at the end of the fluke, but velcro instead. The zipper is heavier than I want, and the heavy duty velcro will not weigh down the fluke at all.

Besides that, the designs are almost exactly as originally planned (size, color schemes, etc.) I am mostly excited about the scales on these, I think everyone will love them! Oh, and I have decided to add side fringe (similar to the fringe I did on Bell's fluke below, only more, and longer for flow effects) and am debating on fluke fringe...I guess we will all be surprised on that one! :)

Mermaid Saphira
09-25-2012, 03:09 PM
^ Taking your time results in better things :) I can just imagine how beautiful these tails will be! I love the monofin shape :D looking forward to the most amazing tails ever ~Saphira!

MerAnthony
09-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Oh FYI LindseyLu . I you buy Lexan ( aka polycarbonite) to make monofins. You would have to basicly fold the polycarbonite in on its self before it would break.

LindseyLu
09-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I keep hearing, and I still plan on playing with the idea more, but another issue I'm having is bonding the polycarbon to the rubber foot pockets. I'm concerned it won't hold after repetitive use :( If it was just a tail for myself I wouldn't worry too much, but since I'm selling these I don't want the mers that buy them to run into problems :)

Mermaid Saphira
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
^ That is very considerate of you :) I am currently in the process of making a polycarbonate fin for myself, I have been working with it for two years O.O perhaps we can help each other lol ;)

MerAnthony
09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
^ That is very considerate of you :) I am currently in the process of making a polycarbonate fin for myself, I have been working with it for two years O.O perhaps we can help each other lol ;)

I would be more than happy to help you out. Plus I was thinking maybe about selling my home made monofin it works great but it is a little small for my feet. I think when I made this I got the wrong size flippers. But other than that not a problem with it. I wear a size 10 1/2 male foot which would be a womens 12 foot but it most likely fit a smaller foot than mine. But if you need any help just let me know. Any time for another mer.

Moongazer
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I would be very interested in the blue tail, thought it will not fit me in the slightest, haha. Will just have to wait for more! XD

NatalieMermaid
09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I believe LindseyLu is still in the process of making them, she has done alot of research to make the best neoprene tails to sell. Patience is a virtue ;)

Considering her original post was 08-29-2011 I didn't think there would be a problem asking if there were pictures or what was happening with them. I am just s super excited to hear her progress. And I also believe she is no longer making neoprene tails, but spandex ones... Knowledge is Power :D

LindseyLu I am so sorry if i offended you with my excitement and questions. However your recent pictures look beautiful. What great detail you have put into these!

Mermaid Saphira
09-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Considering her original post was 08-29-2011 I didn't think there would be a problem asking if there were pictures or what was happening with them. I am just s super excited to hear her progress. And I also believe she is no longer making neoprene tails, but spandex ones... Knowledge is Power :D

LindseyLu I am so sorry if i offended you with my excitement and questions. However your recent pictures look beautiful. What great detail you have put into these!

I already knew she was making spandex tails. Patience is a virtue ;) thanx any whoville

LindseyLu
09-28-2012, 05:05 PM
OMG!!! I would never be able to put into words how much I love all the support we all give each other on this forum! Seriously, I love me some mernetwork peeps!

@ Saphira, Aqua, my darling, you are so fabu and have always been so awesome to me (although I think you may give me more praise than I deserve;), thank you! One day we'll get these freagin poly monofins figured out! LOL!

@ Vallee33 - I would love any input you could give on bonding fins to the poly! That's been my main issue :) and thanks for being so generous w/ your knowledge!!!! It's so nice of you to try and help all of us!

@Moongazer - I'll be making more :) Plus you're in my pod darling (I'm near Portland) so we could always get together to make you a tail!

@ Natkins - No worries, I'm not offended at all!! It's annoying to myself and others in the forum that these are taking me so long, so I totally understand wanting to see pics! $$ has been tight this year and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a procrastinator on top of that! Plus I have a full time job so spare time is not something I have ample amounts of :( As far as posting progress pics, I don't like posting pics of anything I haven't completed yet. People who make tails, even if it is just for hobbys sake like myself, spend a lot of time and brain power coming up with their designs, and I would be pissed as all get out if someone turned around and made my concept tails before me... Infact, the fluke pictures I've posted are from a childs tail I made last year, not the tails I am currently working on. I was just using the pics to show an example of the fringe I make at the fluke ends. :) But I'm glad you like it! These adult tails will be a bit more sophisticated than the childrens tail :)

I am working hard on these at the moment guys. I'm as tired of waiting as everyone else, so I've plunged back in to them trying to use aas much of my spare time as possible to get em done already!! Again, should be done within the next couple months :)

Again, thanks for all the interest and support everyone! <3<3<3

MermaidIvy
09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Would you happen to have any pictures? :)

Patches
10-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Those look really awesome so far!

starlite
10-09-2012, 11:48 AM
wonderfull job :) are they finished ?

Ayla of Duluth
10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Those look really awesome so far!
Question, how is Ariel smoking...underwater? O,,o

MerEmma
02-05-2013, 02:37 PM