PDA

View Full Version : First tail help

Merrow Erie
07-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Hey guys. So I'm brand new to all this and I've run into several brick walls. The biggest one being money D:

I want a fabric tail really bad. Dropping money on a sewing machine I will probably only use once is just not an option, so I'm going to have to suck it up and order from somebody. The second-biggest challenge is the monofin. I'm chunky for 5'3, and while magictail looks awesome, I don't think monofins like that would propel me much given their size and mine :/ I was also born with hobbit feet, and I won't chance anything smaller than a womens 9 1/2, which a lot of tails don't go up to.

So yeah, not a ridiculously expensive fabric tail and/or a flimsy monofin. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm brand new to all of this, I'd appreciate the help...

Miyu
07-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi there! If you really want to custom-make it yourself, sewing by hand really isn't too hard, and something without a lot of details, like a tail, could be done fairly quickly (and, it's portable, so you can work on it at places). I totally understand not wanting to hand-sew, I think I'm crazy for sewing most of my clothing by hand :P But it is a great way to get a totally custom, perfect fit.

As for being short and having hobbit feet... yep. Long toes + wide feet means that there are very few shoes that fit correctly (I wear flip-flops a lot, LOL). I'm working on the monofin issue by planning to make my own possibly, since I can't afford the $350 one I want :P Just trying to track down a source of plastic... I'd be interested in finding a good commercial monofin for myself as well, though.

Mermaid Tasia
07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey there! I just finished my own custom tail earlier this month! I used an online bought Finis Monfin (i cost me about 50 bucks) and then bought swim suit material with a coupon from JoAnn fabrics, so it added up to about 30 bucks, including thread. I bought some elastic at walmart (about 3 bucks) and then rubber sheeting from Lowe's, about 12 bucks. You will have to spend SOME money since you truly can't get something for nothing...

I ended up wishing I had checked fabric size first because I could have saved money on rubber sheeting since I couldn't make it as wide as originally planned.

Using the video posted by Sasha, which is under "making tails" and this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLqf7ZritI I ended up making my own tail. I do have some tweaks that helped...

The first thing is to get your monofin. I saved up several months for mine. Every time I wanted something that I didn't need, I thought about my tail and it kept me from splurging.

Next, get paper bags to use for a pattern. I used about 8 before I got the design outline right for my fluke. I traced my monofin and added the design from there. This gave me a rough idea. As I said, I had to edit it down for material size, so get an idea of what the material width is. I am not sure if you have any idea about sew, if you need help feel free to contact me through messaging :) One of my aunt's was a seamstress.

It truly isn't too hard to hand sew, but you could see about borrowing a machine. (I "inherited" my aunts old one when she got her new one). Some high schools still have them for life school/ home ec classes and may be willing to let you use one there. It never hurts to call and ask :)

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Hey there! I just finished my own custom tail earlier this month! I used an online bought Finis Monfin (i cost me about 50 bucks) and then bought swim suit material with a coupon from JoAnn fabrics, so it added up to about 30 bucks, including thread. I bought some elastic at walmart (about 3 bucks) and then rubber sheeting from Lowe's, about 12 bucks. You will have to spend SOME money since you truly can't get something for nothing...

I ended up wishing I had checked fabric size first because I could have saved money on rubber sheeting since I couldn't make it as wide as originally planned.

Using the video posted by Sasha, which is under "making tails" and this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNLqf7ZritI I ended up making my own tail. I do have some tweaks that helped...

The first thing is to get your monofin. I saved up several months for mine. Every time I wanted something that I didn't need, I thought about my tail and it kept me from splurging.

Next, get paper bags to use for a pattern. I used about 8 before I got the design outline right for my fluke. I traced my monofin and added the design from there. This gave me a rough idea. As I said, I had to edit it down for material size, so get an idea of what the material width is. I am not sure if you have any idea about sew, if you need help feel free to contact me through messaging :) One of my aunt's was a seamstress.

It truly isn't too hard to hand sew, but you could see about borrowing a machine. (I "inherited" my aunts old one when she got her new one). Some high schools still have them for life school/ home ec classes and may be willing to let you use one there. It never hurts to call and ask :)
Way to go making your first tail!
For next time, and easier way to do patterns is to pick up some wrapping paper at the dollar store, unroll it the length of your tail, and trace your pattern onto the white side. then fold it in half and cut it out to get a symmetrical tail pattern.

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Tasia is right, you can borrow a machine.
As far as monofins go, I'm a size 9 1/2 as well, and my Finis Rapid is actually WAY too big.
I would go with a Wave, if I were you. I would offer to make you a tail, But I ALWAYS end up having to take them in. The fabric is sooo soo stretchy that when you get in the water, the tail is suddenly too big. 0.o

Mermaid Tasia
07-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks Dottie! I liked using the paper bags because they are tougher since I have a niece and nephew that like to mess with things. Wrapping paper never lasts well in this house. But I still have my paper bag pattern :D Also, it worked well so I could adhere it to trace the pattern onto the rubber.

Mermaid Tasia
07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
I have the wave. They are sized a bit big since I have size 6 feet and my whole foot can about fit through the toe holes. After I finished my tail, I had to take the waist in about 2 inches, and the rest was perfect since I added a double seem for strength. I also found stretching the material as I went helped it from breaking the thread since I did not want to use elastic thread. I ended up sewing my rubber around the monofin with fishing line, but I did NOT put holes through the monofin since I still want to use it alone. I ended up adding a stitch on either side of my monofin curve at the ends to keep it in, but I can curl it up and take it out to let the rubber fully dry.

Mermaid Dottie
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Very nice! Yes, I have big feet and that's my problem with the rapid. Since she has the same size foot as me, I was thinking it would be a good idea to go down to the wave, since they do run big. For you, maybe a foil, or even an Oceanika if you wanted to splurge, would likely be a much better fit than the wave.

Mermaid Octavia
08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
As far as monofins go, I'm a size 9 1/2 as well, and my Finis Rapid is actually WAY too big.

Really? I'm a 9 and it fits me pretty well... Although I didn't buy it (Morticia did). I wonder what happened there? A friend of mine is a 9/9.5 and my Rapid fits her well enough that she's ordering one herself but I hope she doesn't run into this problem!