View Full Version : Did anyone see this? o_o

Ariel-Starfish
07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Just watch! :o

The Woman Who Dives The Deepest - My Shocking Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PguCG4scrp0

deepblue
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm so envious of people who can do that.

I can hardly breathe half my life, maybe it can translate to breath-holding... hmm... lol

Kumori Kitsune
07-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Holding my breath can some times be hard I'm getting better but my doctor says I have small lungs

Kumori Kitsune
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Thats amazing she can do that

Gem Stone
08-09-2013, 01:07 AM
my dive instructors wife (and family friend) can hold her breath for five minutes. even in the early stages of pregnancy, she would go down for three or four minutes just to keep up her ability, doctor allowing of course.

Nausicaa
08-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I wish I could do that. I've always been envious of free divers, I can only imagine having that kind of amazing ability!

It reminds me of the time my housemate was watching something on TV about Lance Armstrong that had to do with competitive cycling and this VERY attractive young man was being interviewed about how he felt after learning that Mr. Armstrong had admitted to using performance enhancers and she says something along the lines of;
"Wow he's so hot!"
And without even realizing it, the mermaid in me jumped out and I said "Oh gawd yes, he must have the sexiest lung capacity!"

Kuda de la Mer
01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
The video's been taken down. :confused:

AptaMer
01-24-2014, 11:18 PM
You can see it here

http://youtu.be/f6VKelSBXZw http://youtu.be/f6VKelSBXZw

Mermaid Jaffa
01-25-2014, 12:22 AM
She's so thin... Are all free divers meant to be so bony?

Mizuko
01-25-2014, 04:35 AM
She's so thin... Are all free divers meant to be so bony?

Like most athletes freedivers try to have a very low fat percentage; but because they dont have obvious muscles like gymnasts or sprinters they look even skinnier. (marathon runners are a good example of very little fat percentage with lean muscle)

Mermaid Adriel
01-25-2014, 05:51 AM
shocking, really x_x

Mermaid Jaffa
01-25-2014, 10:06 PM
If I didn't know better I would've thought she was anorexic. I wonder if there are any long term effects on the body, when diving so deep.

MerEmma
01-25-2014, 10:15 PM
If I didn't know better I would've thought she was anorexic. I wonder if there are any long term effects on the body, when diving so deep.

Wow, that's just a little bit judgmental. She's thin yes, but there's no reason to make assumptions like that. She's fit, and although a healthier weight is a bit more than where she's at, there are many other reasons for why she would be that thin and it's not anyone's business but her own to guess why. There's a whole lot more to her story than how thin she is. Mizuko explained a bit above for why she might be as she is.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Wow, that's just a little bit judgmental. She's thin yes, but there's no reason to make assumptions like that. She's fit, and although a healthier weight is a bit more than where she's at, there are many other reasons for why she would be that thin and it's not anyone's business but her own to guess why. There's a whole lot more to her story than how thin she is. Mizuko explained a bit above for why she might be as she is.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that. I've always thought athletes, no matter their expertise, would be bulky and muscley. But I have been proven wrong as shown here, sometimes you don't need all that muscle and bulk. One can be lithe and athletic at the same time.

Echidna
01-25-2014, 11:54 PM
er.
bulk muscle that's very visible and obvious is in most cases due to anabolica.
(and yes, most athletes who compete in anything do use anabolica)

Normal, usable muscle doesn't look bulky.
Best example: dancers.
You get an idea of what sort of muscles a ballerina must posses if you watch some ballet.
Is she bulky? Nope.

Freedivers don't need anabolica, because bulk would just decrease their output.
Therefor, freedivers are muscular but lean.

Anahita
01-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Because we all know ice-skaters, swimmers, and gymnasts are known for being bulky and muscly.... :P

Mermaid Jaffa
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
So how do free divers keep from being squashed by water pressure at those depths? I know there are special diving suits that one can get, but there is still a limit to what a suit can do, and how thick its got to be, but still allow for free movement.

Sorry if I seem like a noob, I'm new to all this mermaid stuff. Asking silly questions is the only way I'll learn, and perhaps not go so deep! Atm, I can't stand to be in water where my toes can't touch the bottom. But its helpful to learn, should I have to go that deep one day.

Echidna
01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
So how do free divers keep from being squashed by water pressure at those depths?

The biggest problem with "squish" are air-filled cavities, not solid tissue.
That means sinus cavities, ears, and lungs.
Ears need to be equalized constantly. If an equalization fails at any depth, you have to turn back or risk your eardrums.
If you watched the video, she somewhere mentions her ears during the dive feel like an elephant is stomping on a needle embedded in her eardums, or something like that.

The lungs have to be gradually adapted to new depths.
If you're an experienced freediver, the so-called bloodshift will pad the lungs up, but you still have to be slow and careful or you'll get a squeeze regardless.

I'm not sure if everyone can achieve such adaptations in their bodies though.
Probably only experienced freedivers with many years training.
And of course you need an impeccable health.

Miyu
01-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Ireneho, I was actually very scared to be in water that was more than a foot deeper than my height... so at about the 6' mark I usually stop... But since borrowing a monofin from Morticia a couple of times, I've discovered that I am WAY more comfortable in the deepest deep end I've been in WITH a monofin than without. Our local pool is something like 16' deep, and as long as I have a monofin I'm fine... But I was having issues swimming over there with just a paddle board (or whatever those things are called). I tend to roll face-up with those, and my swimming without a monofin is definitely not as strong, so without a 'fin I just stay in the shallow end. I could hang out in the deep end forever with a monofin on, though... I really can't wait to get my own 'fin! :D

As for pressure for freedivers... I'm not sure! I am also very new to all this athletic swimming scene, I knew freediving and such existed but I never really knew much about it... But I'm loving learning so much about freediving, fish, the ocean, etc. that comes with being a mermaid :P

Mermaid Jaffa
01-30-2014, 08:29 PM
This is all so interesting!!! I wish I was a professional swimmer.

Once I receive my custom goggles, I'll start going to the pool and just do short laps with freestyle leg kicking, to build up leg strength. Cos I'm so out of shape, haven't swum since high school sports days and those were 25 years ago! And hopefully, by the time the new MerFins are released, I can get one and then I won't be floundering in the shallows and can swim properly.

AptaMer
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
So how do free divers keep from being squashed by water pressure at those depths?

Here's a video that explains some of the adaptations we have to go very deep.

http://youtu.be/zcLd1uUBp4E http://youtu.be/zcLd1uUBp4E

Mermaid Jaffa
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Neat.