PDA

View Full Version : Taking Inspiration from others

AniaR
07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Inspiration seems to be a sticky subject in the mer-world. We go back and forth on when it's okay to copy when it's not, how to pay hommage, how to give credit etc. There's never really any answer.

I think the biggest chip that gets in people's shoulder, is when others try to hide the fact they've taken inspiration from someone else.

I follow an artist on deviantART, so I was surprised to see a well known mermaid photographer do a photo version of her image. I actually think the photo it amazing and well done. But was sad to see no mention to the original artist anywhere. I left a comment, letting the photographer know the work was amazing, and that they really nailed it, and I left the credit for the original artist. The comment was deleted. I was sent a PM acknowledging using the image as reference, and the hard work that went into it, but then... no credit.

I really like the photographer, but I lost a little respect I have to be honest. Their work is AMAZING and jaw dropping. No doubt about it. Top of the line. But, why not credit the original artist? Why delete comments that point to their work? The sad thing is, this particular art piece has been stolen and redone so many times that the original artist actually posted a rant about it on their deviantART she writes about it (and you can see the work in question here: http://nina-y.deviantart.com/art/The-Screaming-Sea-339510369) I replied to the photographer insisting they should give the original artist credit. I mean, the photographer credits everyone involved in the process in the tags on FB in the description The original artist has a FB page, so an extra tag shouldn't make that much of a difference. Especially when it's respect to someone else.

Here's the photograph, shared by the original artist with her commentary

The photo link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201340280886769&set=a.2646387196683.144517.1165753630&type=1&theater

The original art piece (which the photographer admitted to using as reference to me in PM, which if needed obviously I could post here)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/179312_392919750784158_699375597_n.jpg

In conclusion:
The photographer is amazing. The photo they did is amazing. No one is arguing that at all. And I love the model, she's one of my mer-friends and a super cool lady. But if he's not going to credit the original artist, I will. So please go like her FB page, and show her some support for her amazing and unique idea. <3

edit: I'd like to add, this swing both ways. I have contacted this photographer MANY times because people have stolen his work, manipulated, tried to sell prints of it etc. We've had many conversations about people stealing his work and me helping get it removed from sites like deviantART. That's why I'm so surprised at this. But obviously, I'd advocate for anyone when their work is used without their permission.

AniaR
07-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Just an update that the original artist has decided to take legal action. She's really upset about the refusal to give credit to her, but at this point, even that wont change her mind.