PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Drill?

Ciesl2ja
07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
I need a drill that would be good for drilling holes in rock, shell, and glass. Any suggestions fellow Mers? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated :)

MerAnthony
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
A dremel tool would work perfectly. I would get the one that has different speeds an a cord.

Ciesl2ja
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the advice ;)

deepblue
07-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I just recently acquired this rotary tool- better price than Dremel, works great, and on low is very quiet. I did have to buy bits seperately, because it didn't come with them. But the diamond bits were only $10 for a big set, and I've been drilling shells easily.

Seriously, you cannot beat this price on Amazon. $35 dollars at 56% off at the time of this post. The battery pack Dremels have a terrible rep for the power running out fast, and the batteries dying, so I bought a corded model, regardless of maker.

Here is the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GUDRI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ps- don't pay attention to the reviews about the collet and collet nut, those people didn't put enough effort or thought into removing it the first time, it works fine.

And this is the bit set I bought for it and have been using, on sale for under $7 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BK9URM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MerAnthony
07-24-2013, 04:05 PM
deepblue you are 100% correct on the batt powered dremels. I had one an it was garbage. Everytime I went to use it the batt was drained. But eather way the best way to go is a tool with a cord not a batt.

deepblue
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
MerAnthony, I think you're the one who told me that on the thread I'd asked about bits on. Thanks, all your advice was totally sound! And backed up by reviews. :)

MerAnthony
07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Deepblue you are more than welcome. I have alot of experience with using a dremel or something like it. Plus I do alot of wood working an using a dremel for some of my projects.

Ciesl2ja
07-24-2013, 04:31 PM
This stuff is awesome! I'm excited to get to work :P

Miyu
07-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Dremels are nice, and cheap. I drilled a hole in a shell with my knife while I was camping a couple of weeks ago...

Ciesl2ja
07-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Lol now that takes some effort! My dremel is on its way to my apartment and should be here in just a few days :D

Miyu
07-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Haha actually it was a lot easier than I thought! My shell already had some dimples from erosion, I just worked on it while walking around camp :) We were camping in a spot where a creek ran right through camp, and I wanted a shell necklace dangit! :P I just wiggled the tip of my knife around in the dimple (giggity) I wanted to use as a hole, and after a short while, I had a perfect hole :)

Also, I hear that if you're using a dremel, use a diamond bit/engraving bit (smooth to sand through, not sharp to cut through like a drill bit), otherwise your shell can break. My bf says that if it's a really special shell to do it manually (like I did) so you don't break it, because apparently, eventually you will break a shell (that's the only shell I've drilled so far).

deepblue
07-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Dremel is just one brand of rotary tool, though- remember that when looking at parts. Dremel makes accessories for rotary tools, too.

Handy tip- people reccomend putting the shell in water and drilling into it, but I prefer to reduce chances of electrocution. I wet the shell, stick it into a lump of Fimo clay (Plasticene works well, too, apparently) to hold it still. Then I wet the drill tip. If you don't wet the diamond bit tip, the bonding can wear down a lot faster. And as I go, I rewet the shell if it warms up, and the tip to keep it smooth. The hole drills faster when it's wet, and it won't overheat. If you don't use water, or you hold it with your hands, not only can you overheat and break the shell, you can burn your fingers. Not to mention, my ex drilled through his finger with his Dremel while customizing Hot Wheels because he was holding the car with his fingers... I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone working on their mer-creations.

I've seen vids of people holding shells while drilling... personally I wouldn't take that chance.

Miyu
07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Ooh yeah I was wondering about that whole holding the shell problem... but I have tons of fimo! That's really helpful, thank you! And I wsa also wondering how I could possibly do it wet... guess I'll just have to be patient lol!