PDA

View Full Version : Fabric and Lexan?

Mermaid_Sarah
07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi! I'm making a fabric tail and I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites or stores that sell swimsuit material by yards. I'm also making my own monofin out of lexan and I don't exactly know how to cut it (my dads going to help me cut it) and I have a pretty good amount of tools to cut it. Also, how do you attach foot pockets onto the lexan? Thanks guys! :)

LittleTreasure
07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I think spandex world sells it by yards... A bandsaw works pretty well on Lexan. Some people bolt ready made foot pockets onto the monofin, and others use swim shoes. I think with the ready made ones bolts are best but there are probably other ways. I used shoestrings to tie the shoes onto mine! :p

ShyMer
07-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Careful with whatever tool you use that you don't cause the lexan to melt from friction. Also, hot bits of lexan flying around stings and is no fun. What foot pockets are you using?

Mermaid Dottie
07-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Make sure you bevel the edges of your lexan with a dremel so that they're rounded. The lexan I used in a fabric tail shredded the spandex. You can also try duct-taping the edges with the same color as your fabric. Also, some silicone (makes your fabric darker, mind you) works well as a kind of "sole" or "treading" on your tail, to keep holes from wearing into it as fast. I mean this specifically for the fluke.

Mermaid_Sarah
07-31-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm probably going to glue the sides so it doesn't tear the fabric as easily. I think I might just use some water shoes for the foot pockets.