PDA

View Full Version : strange ideas for how to get 3D scales on spandex...

melodicsiren
07-31-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm thinking of trying using a thick layer of white, puffy fabric paint over top of the spandex and a layer of chicken wire. Wait for it to get tacky then pull off the wire to make the scales. Paint it with metalic acrylic paints, then cover the whole thing with a water-proof sealer. I'm making scaled tights with inserted, home-made short flippers for my siren!

Anyone know any reasons why that might not work?

OrcaMatt
07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
This doesn't feel plausible to me. You're just going to pull the paint off with the wire if you cover the wire with the paint first. You'd need to stretch the spandex on a frame before you put the paint on, as you would with ALEX, but I think it's just going to crinkle up when it contracts.

melodicsiren
08-01-2013, 06:32 AM
erg.... Thank you! That makes sense.

Mermaid Momo
08-01-2013, 11:42 AM
It may not stretch anymore either. Once the layer of paint dries, while the spandex is stretched, it may be stretched permanently since the layer of paint would be really thick.

Aziara
08-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I've done some testing with puff paint on nylon/spandex, strangely, the areas that are painted tend to sink lower than the rest of the fabric instead of staying raised (so opposite of what you would think). Still a cool effect, but something to keep in mind. Also, make sure there are some areas left with no paint, (between the scales, etc) or you will have no stretch whatsoever. The painted areas will not stretch hardly at all. I did a swatch test where I used a fabric marker between scales, and that seemed to work out ok.

aWittleNoob
08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Take some clear sealaent or something, and a fishnet and then aplly the sealent, now you have clear scales that match your tail. (I saw this on youtube, and see it here and there with self made fabric tails)

melodicsiren
08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
clear caulking seems to make the most sense I think! Thank you all for your help!