PDA

View Full Version : Making a Monofin

coral_sybil
07-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey, I'm new to mermaiding and I've been looking at making my own tail. And as I've also been looking at making a monofin. To which I've found this: Making a Monofin for $20 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaDYmGUhbA) It's a youtube video.

However looking at it, I'm honestly not sure if that would. So I was wondering what you all think. Would this work or is there a better pattern out there I should use?

Thanks!

Miyu
07-31-2013, 11:01 PM
I've been looking at using plastic office chair mats, as well as rubber mats. It seems pretty floppy, though, and I would personally want the fluke to be larger than the rubber mat tutorial. But from what I hear, swim shoes work just fine as foot pockets!

coral_sybil
07-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I'll try it and share what happens.

MerAnthony
07-31-2013, 11:22 PM
In my opinion I would use Lexan. A polycarbonite. Get it thin enough it is flexable an will NOT break. You can fold it onto itself an still will not break. It is the same stuff they make bullet proof glass out of. I made a monofin out of lexan an it works pretty good.

coral_sybil
07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
In my opinion I would use Lexan. A polycarbonite. Get it thin enough it is flexable an will NOT break. You can fold it onto itself an still will not break. It is the same stuff they make bullet proof glass out of. I made a monofin out of lexan an it works pretty good.

Where would you get that?

MerAnthony
08-01-2013, 06:44 AM
You can buy it at most hardware stores. True Value, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's.

Miyu
08-01-2013, 06:46 AM
If you have a problem finding it, I think it's used in windows instead of glass sometimes. But from what I hear, it's just worth it to shell out for Lexan.

MerAnthony
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
But when you do buy some make sure it is. NOT plexi glass it will shatter like glass when used( can not take the stress)

Mermaid Momo
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I created a thread about this somewhere too, I posted links to videos and materials froths monofin, let me go find it really quick.

Mermaid Oshun
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
I find the polycarbonate very un fish like. Too hard to imitate a life form on any level. But it depends on what youre going for.

Mermaid Momo
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3859-new-monofin-making-video!
Here it is, I also put a link to a site where you can get polypropylene (what the hydra monofins are made out of) in different colors and cut to a size you want (only square sizes) I think I do have a few more sites saved in my bookmarks too. I still haven't found out what those marveled foot pockets were (I'm thinking he recycled some rubber and made them himself) I'm sure you can make some yourself by making a cast of your foot for fit.

MerAnthony
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Pearl you can shape the polycarbonite in any shape you need to. To make more mermaid like an it will stay flexable.

coral_sybil
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
So what would be a good material to use to make a flexible monofin?

Mermaid Momo
08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I like polypropylene. Which is what these monofins are made of.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FH3y_Pmi8OM/UN-c70O_JqI/AAAAAAAAA0w/iR1ZceVETCs/s400/myfin2.png
I haven't seen one swim yet and can't find any videos, but from reviews i've read, It's really flexible.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I really love my Triton (smaller version of the Hydra), I love the shape and how it swims :)

coral_sybil
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
What make good foot pockets?

Miyu
08-03-2013, 03:12 AM
You can order pre-made foot pockets online, but I also hear that water shoes make good foot pockets as well - a lot of the homemade Lexan monofins have them, from Wal-mart type shoes to those from a sporting goods store. Bonus - they're soft and flexible, so I can find a pair that will fit my wide feet :)

coral_sybil
08-05-2013, 01:51 PM
So when it comes to the lexan how do you cut it?

MerAnthony
08-05-2013, 02:17 PM
You can use a scroll saw or a jig saw with a fine blade. But be sure to mark it out before you cut it.

Aziara
08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I used tin snips and gave myself a million blisters, lol.

Mermaid Oshun
08-07-2013, 11:55 AM
the triton and the hydra really looks great for the price and would save a lot of work !

PearlieMae
08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Heavy duty trash cans are made of the same kind of polypropelene, but a little floppier than these fins... I was thinking of experimenting with that, too...maybe sandwiching two layers with opposing curves to flatten it from it's barrel shape.

Also, I've found that a pair of cheapie Crocs from Five Below make decent foot pockets, are lightweight and comfy, and you can bolt them to lexan! Just use wide washers on either side of your flat (countersunk) bolt.

pyrana
08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
PearlieMae- what an an excellent idea on the big trash cans being made out of polypropelene.

I wonder if the BIG tupperware storage boxes like you use to store garage/attic type stuff would work. You could maybe even use just a large lid, and those are really cheap.

PearlieMae
08-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks!

Re: plastic storage bins: I thought about that, but I have some of the cheap storage bins and they, and their lids fracture fairly quickly. The garbage cans are more of a rubbery plastic. I had wanted to use a plastic storage bin for a translucent fin, but they can't take the stress of swimming. They don't shatter like plexiglas, but they will break into a big mess. The lids are a little more flexible. I suppose if you were making a fabric tail to last one season, it would be alright. But for a full-on tail that you would want to last years, not so much.

Kumori Kitsune
08-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I was thinking that t should at least last a while till you get a fin just depends the plastic thickness. Pl;us if you dry your fin off

MerAnthony
08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
the triton and the hydra really looks great for the price and would save a lot of work !
One of these would be nice, but being shipped from France can be expensive. I wouldn't mind having one, but the shipping can be a killer.

Mermaid Oshun
08-08-2013, 09:42 AM
look for other vendors online who are local....amazon?

coral_sybil
08-08-2013, 08:41 PM
I've found some pretty cheap ones on ebay.