PDA

View Full Version : Mers In Pittsburgh?

Sparkling Shores
08-02-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi everyone,
Just curious if I was the only one in the area... I hope not!!

malinghi
08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I have family in Pittsburgh and go there occasionally. Also, Gary Antol Jr is originally from Pittsburgh, but according to his facebook profile he lives in Florida. (https://www.facebook.com/mermanjr)

Beyond that, I'm not sure who else is near Pittsburgh. According to the member map (http://mernetwork.com/index/dcMembermap.php), it looks like there's a fair number of people east of you, closer to the coast.

Sparkling Shores
08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. At least I'm not the only one in the state, so that makes me feel better! :)

Mermaid Varshana
08-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I live within driving distance.

Sparkling Shores
08-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Very cool! :D

Mermaid Alki
06-21-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm working on moving to Pittsburgh soon. Waiting on hearing from the Housing Authority. Sparkling Shores, know anything about any Pittsburgh pools that allow tail usage?
~Alki.

Sparkling Shores
06-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm working on moving to Pittsburgh soon. Waiting on hearing from the Housing Authority. Sparkling Shores, know anything about any Pittsburgh pools that allow tail usage?
~Alki.

Hi Alki,
Welcome to da' Burgh! Sadly, I do not! All of my swimming is done with a private family pool so I haven't had the experience of swimming elsewhere. I'm sorry! I shouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding a place that should allow it though, let me know how it goes for you! Again, welcome to the area!

Sincerely,
Sparkling Shores

Dancing Fish
01-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Hey! I'm in Pittsburgh! :) My daughter and I often swim in tails at the Bellvue public pool (North Hills)...where are you?

I don't know any other public places that allow tails. U. Pitt allows tails but I work there. :) Upper Saint Claire has an **AWESOME** indoor and outdoor pool, but tails are a no-no.

Mermaid Alki
01-26-2015, 11:31 AM
I haven't been able to move yet unfortunately... I'm putting out applications, but with a limited income, im being forced to deal with dreaded waiting lists.
Right now my best bet is that I'm going to end up in the Highland Park/East Liberty area, but im also on lists for places in Swissvale, Edgewood, and Rankin.
As soon as someone offers a place, I'm taking it though. I hope to move this year...but i guess anything goes. Its really depressing LOL
I will definitely look into the Bellvue Pool though, and maybe Pittsburgh University. Thank You!
~ Meralki Sparks

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Pittsburgh is a bit of a drive from here in Philadelphia, but it's an awesome city that I want to visit again... I still have to go through all the cultural classrooms in the Cathedral of Learning and get me some more Peace, Love and Little Donuts! And the proximity to Falling Water is awesome, too.

Mermaid Ciela
01-26-2015, 04:22 PM
I go to school in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon, right by UPitt), but I'm on a gap year this year so I'm home in NYC. I'm coming back in the summer, maybe we can do a meetup then! :)

Sent from the engineering wonder that is my shellphone using Tapatalk

Dancing Fish
01-31-2015, 09:34 PM
AAk, I thought I'd set up my account to get replies on this post. Awesome, I'm so happy there's other mermaids nearby! Once the pool opens up again it'd be great to have a meet up! :)

Mermaid Blossom
07-17-2015, 05:51 AM
I live really close! It's just a 45 minute drive from where I live. Buuut... I'm currently license-less and tail-less. But I know a pool in my area that allows tails.

Mermaid Ciela
07-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I'm tailless but in Pittsburgh with a monofin! :)

Sent from the engineering wonder that is my shellphone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Alki
07-17-2015, 05:24 PM
I lost all of my progress with moving to Pittsburgh due to a mix up with things...now if i move to Pittsburgh within the next few years I'll be officially grotto-homeless. So I doubt ill be able to swim with you guys any time soon within the next few years... :(
~Mermaid Alki

Dancing Fish
10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
I wanted to resurrect this post because I'd love to meet up with other local merfolk. It's getting on winter time and I only know of one mer-friendly pool (university only) but there may be others we could ask. I also have this crazy urge to help people if they want to try making their own silicone fails. I've been through the process and while I wouldn't want to commit to making a full tail for someone else all myself, I would be very happy to consult for free. :) Mostly I just want to meet new friends.

Dancing Fish
03-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Bump! Still seeking Pittsburgh mers to hang with! Summer is coming and I'd love to have more companions. The public pool in Bellvue PA is friendly to mers. Also happy to help you make your dream tail out of silicone, if you're willing to do the work but are just daunted by the whole process and having trouble getting started!

Mermaid Aria
03-23-2016, 02:25 PM
We need to have a PA mers meetup! I don't mind driving over to Pittsburgh on a weekend or something since I'm pretty sure I'm the only mer up in these mountains in Central PA.

Dancing Fish
03-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Sure! That'd be fun! Early June-ish? The local pool opens on Memorial Day weekend.

malinghi
03-24-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm originally from Pittsburgh! Unfortunately I live on the west coast now, but maybe I'll see you guys sometime while visiting.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Aria
03-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Sure! That'd be fun! Early June-ish? The local pool opens on Memorial Day weekend.

Yea! That definitely works for me!

MariLwyd
03-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Lived in Pittsburgh for a year (absolutely hated it), but I'm only about 3 hrs away now. I'd be willing to go back for a short visit if it meant haning out with other mermaids and maybe a visit to Dobra :D Also, the LA Fitness in Bridgeville has a saline pool and LA Fitnesses supposedly allow tails. I don't have a tail of my own yet-- want to get my breath hold longer before I invest-- but the LA Fitness here in Columbus allows them.

Dancing Fish
06-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Hey all, I didn't forget about a potential meet-up, I just got really distracted with life. :$ Is there still interest in arranging a meet-up at my local mermaid-friendly pool in Bellvue PA sometime this month? (The LA fitness thing probably won't work for me-- you probably need a membership to swim there, right?)

eclectic.ems
07-15-2021, 09:15 PM
Hi! I'm near Pittsburgh. I'm 40 from the city depending where you're talking about, Pitts kinda big haha. Though I have no issue driving in to meet up with fellow mers. I don't have a tail yet, though I do have a monofin. I'm currently in the process of making my first silicone tail. I've made fabric ones in the past. I'd love to talk and eventually meet up with anyone in Pitt and def swim!

DivineWaterlily
07-26-2021, 09:36 PM
I'm also in (well, near) Pittsburgh! I'm currently trying to scope out some pools that allow tail use with the hope to get a few swims in before the summer ends. A previous reply in this thread mentioned Bellevue Memorial Pool, but it was a few years ago so I need to check and see if that's still a thing. Would be awesome if it is - I go to that park regularly for badminton so as it is.