PDA

View Full Version : Raina's Second Book

AniaR
08-04-2013, 11:59 AM
It's true, I am working on a second book. I learned a lot from doing the first one and feel I can streamline this process a bit better to have some much better results with the end product. I thought I'd start a thread to keep updating on my process!

This book is a continuation of Fishy Business, and looks in depth at each gig, photoshoot, and event I do. Each chapter is a different moment, set up diary style. I tell you what I do, how I do it, and all the funny stuff in between! I'm actually proud of myself for keeping so many of the funny stories and details to myself so I have the material. I'll also be filling in holes along the way with material I realized I'd left out of the first book after the fact. This one will read more like an autobiography, and wont have a reference section in the back obviously.

I'm still going back and forth on the title. I want to keep "Fishy" in there somewhere. But I haven't decided yet :)

Books don't make me loads of money. I've sold over 200 copies now, and made a little bit. The goal here isn't to make loads of money. I just really enjoyed the process of the first book and having it out there. It makes me happy that it's made so many others happy, and yes, I'm aware it's A VERY NICHE market, hehe. I think this second book might appeal to more people as it's less of a how-to more of a true story, but even so, I don't have these grand delusions that'll be selling 1000's of copies ;) I do it because I enjoy it :)

So far I have 8 chapters drafted, I am working on drafting another 5. I anticipate at least 5 more after that, and then we'll see what life throws me to add in. Everything I wrote about it starting where Fishy Business has left off. There's no old/reused material here. I have some big high profile gigs and bookings and filmings coming up too, and they'll all be written about as well! This one is taking much longer than before. I wrote my last one during a few months of unemployment and could get up and type all day. Now I am trying to squeeze it in every chance I get, so I am writing it out by hand first as I'm able to take the draft books with me anywhere. I write on breaks, at coffee shops, on the bus, before bed... haha. So I'm not expecting this one to come out quite as quickly :p I do expect it'll be published in 2014 :) I am hoping earlier rather than later but we'll have to see!

As always I'll keep you updated, post fun behind the scenes, and take community input to be sure I'm really putting something out there others will enjoy! <3

MerEmma
08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
EEE! So exciting, I love your first one so much and I can't wait for the second. :D

Ariadne
08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Yay, looking forward to reading it!

Goldie
08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
OMG! I luv you Raina! This is going to be awesome. Where do you find the time for everything? If we checked you closet we'd find Wonder Woman's costume I know it ;P

Merman Arion
08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi Raina,

I hope that you are doing well at this moment. :)
I believe there is something you could add on your second book : Mermen.

I read your first book and didn't find much things that could represent me (of course because you are a mermaid so it kinda makes sense but still...). Yet, you talked about Mertenders which is a good start in my opinion. Antonio Padilla, Mermaid Melissa's boyfriend, was one before becoming her merman.

I believe that we are a minority since most of the people think that mermaiding is girly (which in fact isn't true...) but we exist. I can name a few for example : Merman Jesse, the Mertailor, Mike Van Daal, and others who are a part of this community like Christopher Chandler, Marlin, Coradion, MerAndrew, Merman Aeolius, me and so on..

Your book may encourage lots of boys and men to enter in our world. What do you think?

xoxo.

AniaR
08-04-2013, 05:38 PM
its a good idea French Merman, but as a mermaid, it's hard for me to write from the perspective from a merman. Also, this one is more of a diary of my mermaid life. And finally, in my first book I tried to avoid using materials I had already written about and I have covered mermen a lot in my magazine Tail Flip ;)

Maybe you should be the one to write something about mermen? ;)

Goldie- I don't get enough sleep and it's a problem. LOL I have crazy dark circles all the time because I want to DO ALL THE THINGS.

Goldie
08-04-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Goldie- I don't get enough sleep and it's a problem. LOL I have crazy dark circles all the time because I want to DO ALL THE THINGS.[/QUOTE]

Well we are all a little taller cause you let us stand in your shoulders, by doing all the work you do, so thank you :)

mermaidwhisperer
08-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Where can I find the first book Raina?

shimmygoddess
08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
so exciting...good luck!

AniaR
08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Click the link in my Sig