PDA

View Full Version : The official HOW TO PUT ON YOUR MERMAID TAIL thread

AniaR
08-04-2013, 06:08 PM
From my series: What to expect with your first mermaid tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

How to put on your mermaid tail:

Fabric or ONLY NEOPRENE With Swim Fins or Monofins.

1.Put your monofin or swim fins in the fluke pocket by rolling the fabric down as far as it goes. You may need to slightly bend your monofin to get it in. Don't apply too much pressure- you don't want the monofin to snap. You may find it helpful to have a second pair of hands. One pair to hold the tail open, the other to put in the fins.

2. Once the fins are in roll the fabric down so that it's folded and not bunched, as far down as it'll go, CAREFULLY. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your fabric or neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

3. Once the fabric is rolled down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIP: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too.

Latex or Silicone with Neoprene Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, or make the neoprene separate from the silicone or latex. I find it worked best for me when I folded it down in increments. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the neoprene is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 3. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIPS: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too. Neoprene can separate from silicone or latex because of general wear and tear, because of the way you're rolling it up or down, or if it's forced to stretch too much.

RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Use a towel to help you pull up the tail, pull the waist, or smooth out wrinkles on silicone tails. Just put the towel between your hands and the tail and grip THROUGH the tail. Gives you a better grip than bare hands, and prevents you from poking holes with your nails or accidentally tearing.

Pure Silicone or Latex With Mesh or No Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, cause cracks in the silicone or latex, or little holes. LONG NAILS WILL CAUSE HOLES IN YOUR SILICONE OR LATEX. They poke through. Silicone and latex are also very sticky, and will stick to anything around you like sand. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your tail, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the tail is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help.

3. At this point you'll either need to be wet, or lubed, or both. Silicone and latex will stick to your skin and bathing suit. You can lube up with different things depending on your tail. Sex toy lube is great but make sure you buy the right ones. Silicone lube can't be used on silicone products or it'll bond. Simply read the labels or the websites to find out which type works for which material. You can also use diluted mineral oil, or all natural body lotions and creams. Get them all over your entire legs and bathing suit bottom. Alternatively, you can try a pair of tights that have a sheen and get them soaked first. The sheen will often allow you to slip in, but also give them silicone something to stick to when you swim and prevent gaping.

4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants. The best way to get in on it either right in the water, or lying down flat and pulling it up.

RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Use a towel to help you pull up the tail, pull the waist, or smooth out wrinkles on silicone tails. Just put the towel between your hands and the tail and grip THROUGH the tail. Gives you a better grip than bare hands, and prevents you from poking holes with your nails or accidentally tearing.

MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

Don't bug other mermaids to make videos of themselves putting tails off and on. Most people look awful doing it because we have to crouch all over. There are already several videos online for putting on tails you can google.

Edit: another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrjqh_IJNI

Also, You can see mermaid Ama put her tail on in this video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6ekCVwr7k

And see Naida put the same tail on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bjRRivYMk

Mermaid Varshana
08-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Also, I cannot stress how much easier water-based lube has made getting my neoprene tail on!

Winged Mermaid
08-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Good tips!

Normally neoprene tails are put on better dry. However the really tight ones (like [what I've been told] Merbella Studios basic tails are) you can use the following- cheap v05 hair conditioner, water based personal lubricant, or Suit Slip (http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/msuitslip.htm). You can also use those 3 things on a full silicone tail, but I'm not sure about the wear that may occur from using conditioner or suit slip, so I personally stick with water based lube.

DO NOT use anything petroleum based on a neoprene and/or latex tail! It WILL damage it! This includes Vaseline! This can sneak into other products, so I suggest you research what other names and shapes petroleum products take form as on an ingredient list and make sure any lotion you use doesn't have that.

My research has lead me to believe that using anything with mineral oil in it is not good for full silicone tails. This includes baby oil (mineral oil with scent is what baby oil is). If you want to use a cream or lotion, I suggest you research what other names mineral oil can be called on an ingredient list and make sure any lotion you use doesn't have that.

Water based lube + spray bottle full of plain water = full silicone tail putting on ease. Easier than putting it on in the water, even :)

I recorded the very first time I put on my Merbella Studios full silicone tail. It was also the first time I'd ever put on any full silicone tail! It's the most popular video on my channel at the moment.

http://youtu.be/g698povG0T8

I also made a video of me putting it on "dry" (with lube and water) that I may post. My advice for anyone who has a full silicone tail is to chop your nails off. I check my nails every time before I swim and cut them short and file any rough edges. Then I use a towel to grab the waist to pull it up so there's a very small chance my nails will do any damage at all.

Raina's right about care too. I seriously spend hours caring for my tail after a swim sometimes. No less than an hour total usually because I have to rinse it, I usually do a baking soda rinse or soak after the initial rinse, rinse it with more fresh water and go over it with the soft side of a virgin sponge, then dry it out completely with towels. You can find more about caring for you tail here- ☆ Tail Care and Maintenance, The Official Thread ☆ (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3108-%E2%98%86-Tail-Care-and-Maintenance-The-Official-Thread-%E2%98%86)(Which I will update shortly.)

Winged Mermaid
10-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Linked this thread in the tailmaking reference index under "basics" as well :)

AniaR
10-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah I should put it in the prothread too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Oshun
12-17-2013, 09:09 AM
From my series: What to expect with your first mermaid tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

How to put on your mermaid tail:

Fabric or ONLY NEOPRENE With Swim Fins or Monofins.

1.Put your monofin or swim fins in the fluke pocket by rolling the fabric down as far as it goes. You may need to slightly bend your monofin to get it in. Don't apply too much pressure- you don't want the monofin to snap. You may find it helpful to have a second pair of hands. One pair to hold the tail open, the other to put in the fins.

2. Once the fins are in roll the fabric down so that it's folded and not bunched, as far down as it'll go, CAREFULLY. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your fabric or neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

3. Once the fabric is rolled down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIP: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too.

Latex or Silicone with Neoprene Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, or make the neoprene separate from the silicone or latex. I find it worked best for me when I folded it down in increments. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your neoprene, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the neoprene is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help. 3. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants.

IMPORTANT TIPS: Sometimes neoprene is easier to get on dryer. Wearing a pair of tights underneath can help you slide it on, or putting baby powder on your legs too. Neoprene can separate from silicone or latex because of general wear and tear, because of the way you're rolling it up or down, or if it's forced to stretch too much.

Pure Silicone or Latex With Mesh or No Backing

1. Roll the latex or silicone down. THIS IS TRICKY BECAUSE IT'S THICKER. If you're not careful and pull too hard, you can cause fraying at your waist line, cause cracks in the silicone or latex, or little holes. LONG NAILS WILL CAUSE HOLES IN YOUR SILICONE OR LATEX. They poke through. Silicone and latex are also very sticky, and will stick to anything around you like sand. Do not do this over a rough surface, as when you begin to move around you may damage the material. Put a yoga mat or tiled floor beneath you. If you have extra fins on your tail, be very mindful of how you fold things down because you don't want to damage them, and also, you don't want to damage them when you unroll it either.

2.Once the tail is folded all the way down, start with one foot. Put it into the fin pocket. If there are straps, be sure they're adjusted to fit comfortably. Monofins and fins can be uncomfortable to a degree- that's normal. If the straps are too uncomfortable you can put a thin piece of foam on them. Once one foot is in- expect the second to be more difficult. Put it in like before. You will find it harder because of the narrow space- THIS IS NORMAL. Take your time. Don't rush. Wiggling around too much is what ends up damaging a tail. If you need to tie a piece of string to the straps that you can use to pull the strap out for your heel. If it's really tight, lubing up your feet can help.

3. At this point you'll either need to be wet, or lubed, or both. Silicone and latex will stick to your skin and bathing suit. You can lube up with different things depending on your tail. Sex toy lube is great but make sure you buy the right ones. Silicone lube can't be used on silicone products or it'll bond. Simply read the labels or the websites to find out which type works for which material. You can also use diluted mineral oil, or all natural body lotions and creams. Get them all over your entire legs and bathing suit bottom. Alternatively, you can try a pair of tights that have a sheen and get them soaked first. The sheen will often allow you to slip in, but also give them silicone something to stick to when you swim and prevent gaping.

4. Start unrolling the tail once both legs are in. Slowly, take your time, and smooth out wrinkles as you go. Get a second pair of hands as you need to. This is not a race. You will learn to get your tail on faster as you get comfortable, for now, take it slow or you WILL damage it. IF you get your tail to your butt and have trouble (getting over bathing suit fabric can be hard) you may want to get some help to carefully stand or lean in your tail. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR TAIL IS STRONG ENOUGH TO BE STOOD IN. Then you can have someone help you pull the rest of the tail up like a pair of pants. The best way to get in on it either right in the water, or lying down flat and pulling it up.

MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

Don't bug other mermaids to make videos of themselves putting tails off and on. Most people look awful doing it because we have to crouch all over. There are already several videos online for putting on tails you can google.

Also, You can see mermaid Ama put her tail on in this video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6ekCVwr7k

And see Naida put the same tail on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bjRRivYMk
An excellent post

spottedcatfish
12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Admins: This thread should be stickied.

Mermaid Lorelei
12-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Admins: This thread should be stickied.

Agreed.

AniaR
12-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm glad people enjoy it :)

Seatan
12-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know if JLube is safe to use with your tail? It's the lube that comes in a powder form and you can dump it in a water bottle, shake it up, and get lube. One bottle of powder makes gallons of lube (you don't even want to know what kind of club I was at when I discovered this stuff, LOL, but as my friend JLube Jack said "you can never have too much lube!"). I am just not sure if it is okay for silicone. It's fine on latex clothes and other special latex things, though!

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Jorvet-J0109-J-Lube-Obstetrics-10-Ounce/dp/B006G2S17A

Mermaid Oshun
12-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Jlube sounds wonderful! But the PEG in it is water soluble silicone I think. So it is probably not good for silicone tails. Just a thought.

MermanZen
12-24-2013, 12:07 PM
This really helps, I know with a neoprene/latex tail I would have had to roll it down but this gives you a lot of tips to put your tail on correctly thanks for the advice

Seatan
12-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Jlube sounds wonderful! But the PEG in it is water soluble silicone I think. So it is probably not good for silicone tails. Just a thought.

How do you tell the difference in the lube types? I don't know what to buy...

AniaR
12-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Some lube will bond to latex or silicone. You need to read the info on the bottle to know what its safe for.

Seatan
12-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Someone said on here that JLube is silicone based but everywhere I read it says it is water based. In fact, people have posts on JLube vs silicone lube. Where did you find that it has silicone in it?

Seatan
12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Okay, found my answer... JLube is safe for use with silicone. So in case you are looking to get six-eight gallons of lube from a ten dollar bottle, here is what the experts say about JLube:

J-Lube is a concentrated lubricant that comes in powder form. According to the bottle, it is manufactured for Jorgensen Laboratories in Loveland, Colorado and consists of 25% polyethylene polymer (polyethylene oxide) and 75% dispersing agent (sucrose, according to the MSDS which you can find here in ASCII text format and here in PDF format). When mixed with water, it produces a thick, clear, extremely slippery lubricant whose intended purpose is to aid in gynecological examinations for farm animals and to assist in cases of dystocia, or abnormal/difficult labor during childbirth. However, it is, without a doubt, the best lubricant I have ever encountered. It is inexpensive (around $10 for two to six gallons of lubricant, depending on the recipe), easy to mix (just add water!), and contains no extraneous chemicals or preservatives (unless you put them in when mixing it). And since it's water based, it's fully latex condom compatible as well as being safe for use with silicone toys.

yes, I am aware that URL is terrifying. But there are no pictures or sexual details on it, just a fairly clinical FAQ about everything you could ever need to know about JLube!

AniaR
12-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I think there's different types of Jlube, the first one I bought had silicone in it >.> and I actually didn't read all the ingredients because I was told it didn't. But I took it back (can you imagine that conversation?) and got the water based one instead.

Seatan
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
LOL... "Hi I need to return my lubricant..." Yeah, I bet that was amusing haha.

AniaR
12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
it thankfully did not have a broken seal, lol

MermanZen
12-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I hope I can get my tail on without damaging it, all I can do is take it slow

Seatan
12-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I bet you'll be okay, Merman Zen. I have a teensey tinsey waist and big, child bearing hips, but I'm not too worried about getting it on. I haven't heard of anyone who measured properly and had a tail made in the proper size not be able to get it on. I have worn a lot of clothing (mostly latex dresses and catsuits) that requires lubrication to put on because it is so tight and rubbery, but in the end the upside to tight and rubbery is that it does stretch enough to get on then it springs back into place. Since mermen usually have a closet waist-to-hip ratio, it will probably be easier for you than a lot of women who are smaller in the middle. The ladies at FinFolk say that after I get used to it, I should be able to get it on with just water, so that means it must be easier to get on than latex clothing. (There is NO getting into a latex catsuit without lubrication or body powdering... It will just frustrate you for hours!) So I wouldn't worry about it!

shimmygoddess
04-24-2014, 01:40 PM
hey there, a bit confused now: Raina said diluted Mineral Oil, but Iona said not to use that? Someone mentioned Coconut oil to me, is that safe? I just got my tail today, and have a gig on Sat, so I don't have enough time to order something online. It look me 30 min to get my tail on without anything..LOL...

PearlieMae
04-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Coconut oil won't eat into silicone...Mineral oil? No idea.

AniaR
04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Lube isn't so much a concern if you're going right in the water. The water dilutes it and washes it away. Its more an issue when it sits in the tail. It can cause mold growth and eat away at silicone.

shimmygoddess
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM
what do you recommend for dry events then? I tried using the powder and was able to get it on in about 15 min...but had a hard time getting my feet all the way in the foot pockets

Lube isn't so much a concern if you're going right in the water. The water dilutes it and washes it away. Its more an issue when it sits in the tail. It can cause mold growth and eat away at silicone.

AniaR
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
is yours neoprene on the inside? dry is better for neoprene. try shiny tights! like the ones that look like fake leather. I always found those helped me slide into my neoprene lined tail (well, neoprin, lol)

shimmygoddess
04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
is yours neoprene on the inside? dry is better for neoprene. try shiny tights! like the ones that look like fake leather. I always found those helped me slide into my neoprene lined tail (well, neoprin, lol)

No, it is pure silicine, though it has a texture on the inside....but I have never seen the inside of a silicone tail, so it is probably normal. LOL

AniaR
04-24-2014, 09:10 PM
oh likely mesh. then in that case you wanna be wet and use some sort of lube!!! I find aveeno hand cream the easiest for me. dont get discouraged over it taking a while, you'll get the hang of it.

shimmygoddess
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
should I bring like a spray bottle? and spray my legs down? LOL

AniaR
04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
if you aren't near water then yes, but if you're at the pool just hop in first and then get out, put lube on, and wriggle in!

shimmygoddess
04-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks Raina! I wish there was a pool! It is a Fantasy Festival in the middle of a grassy field ;)

Mermaid Lorelei
04-25-2014, 06:02 PM
@Shimmy Goddess - Make sure you stay in the shade! The last thing you want in a dry event is to be in a silicone tail while sitting in the sun. You will literally BAKE! And keep a lot of water nearby to drink. You'll sweat like nobody's business. XD

Mermaid Dottie
04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Absolutely! Have a parasol, sunblock, and lots and lots of water to dump into your tail and on it. No fried mermaid legs, okay, shimmy? Be safe! <3

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lorelei
04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I made the mistake of getting a tent that only covered me for part of the day at my last festival and the sun baked my fins so terribly! The event director brought out a small rubbermaid of water for me to put my fin in and the kids loved splashing me with it.

-Annwyn-
04-27-2014, 12:17 AM
I use ordinary hair conditioner to get my tail on. It's cheap, smells pretty and doesn't wreck the silicone. :)

AniaR
04-27-2014, 01:13 AM
^ another good idea, though when I tried it I got a rash all over my skin so I'd suggest people do a patch test to be sure. People often suggest using conditioner to shave your legs too and different chemicals can be hard on your skin. So test it out :)

-Annwyn-
04-27-2014, 01:21 AM
^ another good idea, though when I tried it I got a rash all over my skin so I'd suggest people do a patch test to be sure. People often suggest using conditioner to shave your legs too and different chemicals can be hard on your skin. So test it out :)

Funny you should say that because I DO shave my legs with conditioner! I find it causes less nicks (also helps to shave along the grain, too. And I use a safety razor, not store bought plastic razors.)

MerMatt
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Hey, quick question. I put my silicone tail on for the first time today and noticed that after pulling my tail up, normally it should stick to skin from what I have read. Since I put it on myself I couldn't pull it up as I wanted and it wouldn't come up as high as I expected. Does anyone know material that silicone will stick to even when wet?

Thanks
MerMatt

Mermaid Jaffa
04-29-2014, 01:27 AM
For new mers with fabric tails.

I've taken to dipping the fluke end of my tail with my Wave inside into the water, and wetting my feet, before I put the tail on.

It helps so that I can make the straps really tight, so I don't have to stop to adjust if I had put on everything dry.

Mermaid Adriel
04-29-2014, 03:49 AM
@Ireneho thank you very much!

Ayla of Duluth
04-29-2014, 02:39 PM
@Shimmy Goddess - Make sure you stay in the shade! The last thing you want in a dry event is to be in a silicone tail while sitting in the sun. You will literally BAKE! And keep a lot of water nearby to drink. You'll sweat like nobody's business. XD

Are UV rays bad for silicone? I remember hearing somewhere that the sun's rays can break down the silicone if it's left out too long, so you should always try to keep your tail in the shade on really sunny days.

AniaR
04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Basically everything is bad for silicone lol. Everything will wear away eventually. UV fades most colors on any surface over time

Mermaid Wesley
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
"Basically everything is bad for silicone" hahaha I'm starting to realize this

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Vicky Mermaid
06-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Well i found it the easiest way to put on a neoprene tail dry... For the Thom Shouse Wettail i found a very simple solution. Just regular hair shampoo mixed with warm water.i would pour some in the tail and on my legs before i wiggled myself in the tail. Inside the wettail was a rapid monofin but without heel straps. That way you could slip into the tail with stretched legs. I do'nt know if this will work when my silicone tail arrives

AniaR
06-08-2014, 06:38 PM
this is a thread for putting on a tail. you'll have to go to another thread or into the tail making part of the site for those questions

Mercelien
06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry I got confused :(

Winged Mermaid
06-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Well i found it the easiest way to put on a neoprene tail dry... For the Thom Shouse Wettail i found a very simple solution. Just regular hair shampoo mixed with warm water.i would pour some in the tail and on my legs before i wiggled myself in the tail. Inside the wettail was a rapid monofin but without heel straps. That way you could slip into the tail with stretched legs. I do'nt know if this will work when my silicone tail arrives

Don't you mean conditioner? Shampoo would probably make things even more difficult, what with the stripping of oils and lathering and whatnot. Conditioner is the slippery stuff ;) Also yes, you can use hair conditioner, but honestly it isn't made for that, and becuase of what's in (silicones, fragrances, ect) it it can damage silicone over time. I'd advise you to stick with either water based lube, natural oils like coconut oil or mineral oil, or something specific like suitslip (http://speargearshop.com/accessories.html).

Vicky Mermaid
06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
No no we really used shampoo with hot water. It worked perfectly! But a wettail by Thom Shouse is made from urethan with a latex paintjob. But silicone is different indeed. But thanks for your tips Iona

AniaR
06-10-2014, 10:27 PM
when I met Thom at Merfest he also told me many of his tails are equipped so you can flush them out with water while wearing them, to get rid of different lubes right away, to get rid of pee (haha) or debris/sand.

Vicky Mermaid
06-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Yep that is true hihi. He makes little tubes in the fluke of the tail so that the water can get out. In some of the pictures you can see them.

AniaR
09-14-2014, 10:09 PM
a vlog about putting tails on

http://youtu.be/ttrjqh_IJNI

MerMatt
10-11-2014, 11:45 AM
I just re-read this thread looking for a specific brand of water based lube to use and couldnt find any. So my question is simple, what specific brands of water based lube work for silicone tails? Since my tail was made with Dragonskin Silicone, and in the welcome letter I received from Jesse, he doesnt mention a specific brand, so thats why I am asking for specific brands. Thanks

AniaR
10-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Slippery stuff is great

MerMatt
10-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Thanks Raina.

Chrissy
10-14-2014, 08:19 AM
I use astro glide and a little spray bottle of water to spread it around

Yulia
10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Is it best to put on a latex tail in or out of water?

Sherielle
10-15-2014, 10:02 AM
I found a hair conditioner that doesn't have silicone in it and it's worked pretty good for me.

PearlieMae
10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
I've been using coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe's (their version of PAM) and it works great and washes out easily! I've tried spraying my legs, and another time, spraying inside the tail, and both are perfectly fine for slipping into a tight silicone tail! Plus, it doesn't take very much at all. :)

Sherielle
10-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I've been using coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe's (their version of PAM) and it works great and washes out easily! I've tried spraying my legs, and another time, spraying inside the tail, and both are perfectly fine for slipping into a tight silicone tail! Plus, it doesn't take very much at all. :)I'll bet that smells pretty good, too.

PearlieMae
10-15-2014, 10:43 AM
You smell like a cookie and your skin loves it!

Yulia
10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
What are som big no-no's lubewise when you're swimming in a chlorine pool?
Don't want to clog up the system...

AniaR
10-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Coconut oil is great. As long as your lube either absorbs or is diluted by water youre fine. It mostly stays in your tail anyway

Mermaid Isabel(:
10-19-2014, 04:48 PM
What kind of coconut oil does everyone use? Whenever I leave it on my skin for too long it starts to smell..odd. Also I'm struggling putting my feet in the foot pockets and I only got one foot in, I'm concerned about being able to take the tail off once I get it on.

AniaR
10-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Virgin coconut oil. Its always hard to get off and on when you first start. Like hella hard lol

Mermaid Isabel(:
10-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Ok thanks it's definitely very hard haha i was grunting just to get one foot in! I don't know how you do it

AniaR
10-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Practice and lube hehe. Don't be discouraged!

Mermaid Isabel(:
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks! I accomplished to get both feet in this time but couldn't get it above my knees. It's a step further than yesterday though

Yulia
11-05-2014, 10:51 PM
My tail has a pair of hipfins, that restrict me from rolling it down.
It makes it harder to reach down to the footpockets.
Do you have any tips/tricks/substitute for rolling it down?

Sherielle
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
My tail has a pair of hipfins, that restrict me from rolling it down.
It makes it harder to reach down to the footpockets.
Do you have any tips/tricks/substitute for rolling it down?
Can you fold it down past the hip fins?

Yulia
11-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Can you fold it down past the hip fins?

I tried, but it doesn't really work. The fins sit on the side and go almost down to the knees.

AniaR
12-26-2014, 12:20 PM
another video we made a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrjqh_IJNI

Mermaid Jaffa
12-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Hehehe! Sean face plant into the water!:lol:

Good try for first time in a tail.:cool:

Mermaid Wesley
12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Such a cure vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Silverlilly
12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
This thread will be perfect for when i can finally save the cash for my perfect (design not on here) and first silicone tail will probably try in water without lube though will also probably have to do it on my own lol. Which I can ee will be difficult but in the meantime I hope to get a fin and have practice swimming with a fin! Can't wait!

AniaR
02-25-2015, 07:34 PM
RECENT TRICK I LEARNED:

Mermaid Jaffa
02-25-2015, 07:43 PM
I've got swimwear lining in two of my homemade tails...

Boy, it is a pain in the rear to put on wet or dry! It involves 15 mins of tugging and shoving my hands inside front and back just to arrange that extra fabric just right and to make sure the tail sits right on legs and fluke.

The reason I have lining is that, the seams made me itchy and I thought having lining would also stop me from feeling chilled when I'm on a long swim, which it does. But bleh! For the sake of not feeling cold in and out of the water, it is worth it!:lol:

Mermaid_Kira
07-07-2016, 09:34 AM
For new mers with fabric tails.

I've taken to dipping the fluke end of my tail with my Wave inside into the water, and wetting my feet, before I put the tail on.

It helps so that I can make the straps really tight, so I don't have to stop to adjust if I had put on everything dry.

Oh! Thank you very much for posting this tip! Most of the tips on this thread are for silicone tails, but I'm just starting out with my fabric tail. I've been looking for advice for taking it on and off safely. :)

OpheliaImmortal21
10-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to pull your tail up higher? It seems to slip down on me when I swim at even a medium fast speed. Is this normal? Today was my first day with my silicone tail, so I had lots of drama and I have lots of questions... lol

AniaR
10-09-2016, 10:19 AM
it could be you have lube hanging around once you get in the water. I try to use something all natural so if I rinse it- it wont hurt any wildlife. So when I go in the pool the first thing I do is open the waist line and let in some water and try to swish things around a bit.

For me the only thing that 100% keeps my tail from coming down is having the waist up high, and tight. But there are disadvantages to that too. If you have a tight waist you still need to get it over your booty and it can cause wear and tear.

Sometimes increasing the surface area the tail can grip to will keep it from coming off. I used to do that with my first silicone tail that was a bit baggier on me. I'd wear tights, or bike shorts inside it. Super hard to get on, but once it was on the silicone had something to grip on instead of slippery skin. Kept it from slipping or falling down.

danger369
08-01-2020, 02:11 PM
my tail has a large dorsal and hip fins so rolling it down isn't exactly an option, any tips for that?

K Swim
08-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Is it silicone? I keep seeing tails that fit your description and wonder how others carry and store them. Mine is just a basic tail with monofin and I have struggles with it as it is.

danger369
08-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Is it silicone? I keep seeing tails that fit your description and wonder how others carry and store them. Mine is just a basic tail with monofin and I have struggles with it as it is.

yes it's a full silicone tail, and most people carry them in tail bags like waterways or finfolk ones. as for storing i know that some people hang them up or just lay them somewhere flat since folding them for long periods of time can cause damage i believe