PDA

View Full Version : 75 year old sewing machine, Help!!!

Neptunie2
08-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Ok I am working on making my first mermaid tail, and my grandma said I could use her sewing machine. The problem is her sewing machine is around 75years old and only does one stich, straight. It is a beautiful singer 15-91 machine here are some pics.

It comes with tons of assorted attachments that seem to do everything.13375
Those are all of them , here is a list of all the attachments names:

1. The Foot Hemmer
2. The Adjustable Hemmer
3. The Multi-Slotted Binder
4. The Edge-Stitcher
5. The Gathering Foot
6. The Ruffler

I am wondering if there is any way I can use these attachments to sew my tail because there are no other stitches.
The manual👆
Please help!!!
Emily

Echinacea
08-07-2013, 05:50 PM
I have one that is very similar, I think, from my mum. I would look at the edge-stitcher attachment, if it does what I think it does, which is kind of like a blanket stitch on edges. I have no idea how to use it, sadly. :( I got a more modern machine when I started working on sewing stretch fabrics, so I could use a zig-zag stitch. What kind of material are you planning to use? Stretch fabrics like spandex or stretch velvet?

deepblue
08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Coveting your machine there... omg that is a beeeeauty.

But yeah, the type of fabric is the main thing here.

Neptunie2
08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I have one that is very similar, I think, from my mum. I would look at the edge-stitcher attachment, if it does what I think it does, which is kind of like a blanket stitch on edges. I have no idea how to use it, sadly. :( I got a more modern machine when I started working on sewing stretch fabrics, so I could use a zig-zag stitch. What kind of material are you planning to use? Stretch fabrics like spandex or stretch velvet?

Ok here is the manual for the edge stitcher you can see if it is what you are thinking of!!

Is it the one?

Miyu
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm so drooling over that machine, and it still has the manual! *swoon*

If all else fails, blanket-stitching by hand works :P Which I may be doing if I don't learn to stop being afraid of my tiny, awesome, modern sewing machine my dad gave me...

MerEmma
08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
OH MY GOSH. THis looks exactly like ours!