PDA

View Full Version : Tail Falling Apart :/

Merley
08-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Alright guys, I'm not sure where else to turn. I got my mermaidsrus tail in the mail a week ago and I love it, I do. It's my first tail and it's all pink and sparkly and I couldn't have asked for a nicer first tail BUT I feel like it's falling apart on me and I've only used it a handful of times. Little pieces of silicone are constantly falling off, some scales are smeared and messed up and most of the edges of them look like they're peeling off. I found a small rip at the bottom middle part of the fluke that has me worried is only going to get worse the more I use it. Can I glue it back together with craft glue? It's a small tear at the moment, but I rather nip it in the bud now.

The tail was supposed to be a 'silicone tail' with a light liner, but it's definitely more liner than silicone, which bothered me at first and still does because all the pictures I saw were definitely silicone scales, and I couldn't see the liner peaking through. It fits pretty snug everywhere, but it's too long in the front, so it comes up right under my breast and flaps open in the back. I went to take it in to a tailor to see what could be done about it, whether she could take it in or cut it for me, but she didn't leave me feeling like it would be something she could easily fix so I left. I'm just torn about what to do. Plus, while I was trying it on I noticed the seams all along the right side are coming up. What to do; what can I do? Fellow mers, please advise.

halesloveswhales
08-07-2013, 10:25 PM
MerNation has a tail repair service!!
http://www.themernation.com/M/e-MER-gency_Clinic.html

Mermaid Oshun
08-07-2013, 10:34 PM
the tail does look too large for you. Is the tail the exact measurements you sent them or were your measurements off? Maybe the fabric stretched?

Merley
08-07-2013, 10:59 PM
halesloveswhales: That looks promising, except I'm sure the shipping cost combined with the repair will probably be as much as I spent on the tail. If I had known I was going to end up spending so much I would have just saved it all and gone for a Merbellas tail. I really wish the silicone was more durable. I'm afraid I'm destroying it every time I use it and the ripping seams are definitely a concern.

the tail does look too large for you. Is the tail the exact measurements you sent them or were your measurements off? Maybe the fabric stretched?

It's my exact measurements, but I'm worthless when it comes to numbers, so I'm sure it's my fault it's off. I think the problem is my butt and hips are larger than my waist, so if the waist was smaller i wouldn't be able to get it down over my hips, so she made it bigger. Not sure how to fix that :/ She recommended cutting the front, but I'm sketched out at the thought of altering it myself. I only get one shot and I know me enough that I'll screw it up. While the measurements being off is my fault, I feel like it's disintegrating at an alarming rate. I find so many pieces of silicone when I swim.

Mermaid Oshun
08-07-2013, 11:07 PM
maybe a seamstress at a local dry cleaner or something could put a zipper up the back, take it in and reinforce the seams.
I just cut a chunk out of a corset/bustier to take it in and sewed it back up myself by hand! Worked like a charm and I did it myself! Maybe you could even sew in a zipper yourself and reinforce the seams yourself by hand if you know how to sew. According to Mermaid Cascada (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2448-Latex-tail-tutorial) , you can glue rubber to neoprene with e6000 glue from walmart. You could reinforce your seams with that after you take them in with needle and thread.

Merley
08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
I feel like the days when I knew how to sew are over. I haven't touched a sewing machine since high school, and even then all I made were throw pillows. I was never good at sewing by hand and I just love this thing so much I don't want to butcher it. I'll try another tailor/seamstress. The one I went to today was nice but I'd prefer someone who spoke fluent English so there is no miscommunications. So wait, I'm kind of confused by the corset thing. What did you do exactly? Do you have any pictures?

Mermaid Oshun
08-07-2013, 11:19 PM
well my bustier was too big in the waist so I cut out a vertical strip section of material and sewed it back together about 4 inches smaller in the torso. It was a piece of cake to take it in. I painted a base coat of latex over it to see how that would look so it's drying now. I will show you photos later but you can barely see where it was taken in now with the latex on it. You can tell though because the steel bands are really close together almost touching in that section.
Good luck with a local seamstress.

Mermaid Cascada
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Do you know what type of silicone it's made of?

Merley
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Ah, ok now I get it. That's an idea for sure and thanks. Do you think a belt might solve the oversized problem?

Merley
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Do you know what type of silicone it's made of?

i think it's regular tin cure. She didn't specify but I know it's nothing crazy.

Mermaid Oshun
08-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Ah, ok now I get it. That's an idea for sure and thanks. Do you think a belt might solve the oversized problem?
If it were me, I would want a zipper in the back instead of gathering it with a belt... I mean it cost approaching 1000.00. Surely a zipper cant cost more than $50 to have put in.

PS with regard to the silicone falling off I bet if someone airbrushed a few more layers of silicone and paint on top of it, it could help to reinforce it

Jessica
08-08-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm so sorry that your tail is in this condition. Since the tail has side seams already, it makes the most sense to put a zipper in one of the seams. This is a relatively easy fix, and the tail can be taken in at the same time the zipper is put in.

Or...

you can also try folding the top of the tail down (I recommend leaving it an inch or two higher in the back) and using wide elastic (cut it to your size and sew the ends together to form a circle ) to make a waistband inside the tail. The tail would be folded down over the elastic, and then you can use glue (e6000 would probably work) to secure the tail to itself...leaving a gap inside for the elastic. (This is just like a curtain and a curtain rod. your tail is the curtain, and the curtain rod is the elastic.) Considering how big your tail is, I'm not sure i would do this because it would still be baggy in the thighs. This would be a quick, cheap fix for the sizing issue around the waist though.

I don't know much of anything about tin cure silicone. (I'm using dragonskin silicone for my tail) have you contacted mermaidsrus about the issue? Silicone shouldn't be falling off your tail a week after you got it. Maybe they didn't let it cure long enough?

On a happier note...I love the color of your tail!

Merley
08-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the advice Jessica. I contacted some of my fellow mers in Hawai'i, so when they're less busy, hopefully they'll help me get this mess sorted. As for contacting Sandy, owner of mermaidsrus, I texted her a picture of the seams and she saw how baggy it is, but she just recommended cutting some off the top, which I don't think will really fix the problem. She didn't really respond to the strained seam issue though, and I know it's not happening because I'm too big for it or anything, I have lots of space to stick my arms in if I need to. She seems really nice and she's usually pretty prompt at answering my messages...when I'm buying something, or inquiring about the status of my order, but sometimes when I have real questions about my tail, like when she was in the process of making it, I'd get these misdirected responses. She actually sent me the wrong top, which is no biggie. But I did have to ship the wrong one back and I still don't have mine. If she had sent me update pictures like I had asked for originally, I would have caught her mistake before she sent it off. I only got one picture of my tail before she sent it and it was a closeup of my fluke. While I love my tail and appreciate her promptness and overall helpfulness when responding to my questions, I still feel kind of cheated. All her other tails appear to have thick layers of silicone and mine is just peeling off. She sent it to me in two and a half weeks and I did kind of rush her. I tried to be patient but the ad had said 2 weeks so that's when I had expected it to be done. I figured she does this all the time and if she says two weeks, she means two weeks. After two weeks rolled by I was getting kind of antsy, so I'd occasionally ask her about it and she told me it wasn't dry yet. I was more than willing to wait, since I didn't want what I'm experiencing now to happen, but she told me it was dry and shipped it. I feel responsible, but I told her I'd wait until she was sure it was dry, which she assured me it was and since I never got a picture of the end result, I didn't really know what I was getting until it was here. By the looks of some of the scales it definitely didn't have time to cure. I feel bad bugging her though because she has tried to be really helpful, and even offered to help me get my mermaid business off the ground here, but I'm still unhappy with my tail. I know wear and tear happens, but I agree with you and don't think I should be seeing these dramatic changes after just one week of use. I'm really careful with my tail too. I don't just leave it lying around in a heap or anything and I rinse it out after every use. I'm just--I don't even know--frustrated. I don't want to be a bitch, especially after she managed to find a way to ship what she quoted me as nearly $200 to ship my tail for $50. Yet I was hoping she'd offer to fix it after seeing the condition it's currently in.

AniaR
08-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Did you seriously pay that much wow it looks like a used tail. Weird things keep happening with mermaids r us. Iona and I have both noticed a few things. I'd be asking for a refund.

Merley
08-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I did :/ And the top she sent me wasn't even my size. Makes me think she sent me someone else's order but what really gets me is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Real-Mermaid-Tail-Swimmable-Realistic-Silicone-Monofin-Weeki-Wachee-Mermaids/321180597186?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D418509514626034445%26pid%3D1000 11%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D32115693 5436%26

She just posted this today.The kicker: She's using the picture of my boyfriend and I to sell it. It was the tail I thought I was getting complete with the original top I asked for. I still haven't received mine :/ I wrote her a really long email asking her to redo my silicone. I don't even...What have you guys noticed about them? I mean Sandy seems sweet enough but smileys can be deceiving. She really avoided showing me any pictures on the progress of my tail until she shipped it, and even then it was such a bad picture. I didn't know what to expect. But I was definitely disappointed when I opened the box. I tried to suck it up and just accept it but I can't. It's just a kick in the gut seeing that tail she posted. That was supposed to be my tail, I just know it. The one she sent me isn't even my size. And I know I couldn't have fudged the measurements that much. It's supposed to be tailored to my size and now that I think about it, it's even too big on the legs. Aside from the color, nothing about it is what I asked for. I kind of regret leaving her a good review, but I didn't want to hurt her business. Maybe that would have been a good thing.

Mermaid~Summer
08-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I agree that your tail looks like a cheap version of the one on the etsy page and she should not be using your photo without your permission. I would ask for a refund or ask them to make you the correct tail and send that one back.

Mermaid Oshun
08-08-2013, 09:02 AM
You know, I used to ship HUGE 40 pound saddles for about $35.00 USPS ground. It wound not be the fastest shipment but it would always get there.
Honestly, I think as a courtesy to you ask this vendor to take it in for you and to see about making the silicone layer a little thicker.
Good luck with this.

ShyMer
08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
It sounds to me like you want to love your tail, but you're actually pretty disappointed in the whole thing. In my opinion, you did not receive a quality product. I feel weird about the amount of silicone used on your tail with that kind of fabric liner- if it were neoprene, this may not be as much of an issue, but we shouldn't be seeing any bare mesh at all. How much did you pay for this tail? I feel weird about the seams and measurements too.

I feel like I remember mermaid Avalon had the same tailmaker. I remember her tail was also loose and too long in the waist. I can't remember how to tag people in a post- if we can get her in on this that might be great for comparisons.

Also, don't feel like you'd be hurting her business by posting an honest review. If she made you something that you're disappointed in, no amount of niceness on her part should excuse that. People need to know if they're buying something inferior, and you deserve a quality product.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works best for you!

Mermaid Oshun
08-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I think getting a refund without returning the product would be theft. But at least she can fix it. I would make a much better product than that for 500. She should stand behind her work.
If you admit to being off on the measurements, then that part is not her fault, but maybe she could figure out how to keep the silicone from peeling off at least and take it in or add a zipper for a fee.
I see she does offer 3 color upgraded tails.
Looking at her website, unfortunately it appears that she is not the most artistic person. The rug fringe on the bottom of some of her tails looks pathetic. None of the tails I see look airbrushed. But she could up her game a little bit and maybe paint on another layer of silicone to make the scales sturdier. Since creativity and artistry do not seem to be her forte, at least they can be functional and durable.

Jessica
08-08-2013, 10:25 AM
At first i thought that maybe your tail was just how mermaidsrus made their tails. After seeing the tail on eBay, I can't believe that she sent you such a poorly made tail. The tail you got looks terrible compared to the eBay one or the ones on her website. Your silicone shouldn't be falling off like this and it shouldn't have so many bare patches. The pictures on her website show the scales close together...and yours don't look anything like that. In the picture your tail easily looks like it needs to be taken in 4-6 inches. Even if you made a mistake measuring,you likely weren't off by more than two inches at most. It would be hard to be off by more than that. Do you have the measurements you sent her? You should measure your tail from seam to seam and compare it your measurements. If the measurements don't match up, you definitely have grounds for complaint....in addition to the terrible job with the silicone. She needs to fix the issues with the tail or give you a refund.

I can only imagine how frustrating and disappointing this is for you. I'm thinking of you and hope you can get this issue fixed soon!

Mermaid Syrena
08-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I agree with Raina- the tail she sent you DOES look like a used tail. The scales are waay too far apart, and look nothing like the picture. Also, even if you did fudge the measurements a little, I don't think there's much leeway for you to have fudged them THAT badly. Your tail looks really big for you- you're swamped by it, little one!
I absolutely feel your pain, and am praying you manage to work something out with Mermaidsrus! *hugs*

PearlieMae
08-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Okay, I might be new here, but I am a lifelong artist and craftswoman and I am going to just lay out my impressions...If I step on anyone's tail, yeah, well, sorry.

A: If they are using your pictures without your permission, assume they are using other photos from other sources as well.

B: It is a poorly constructed, badly rushed, incomplete job. Looks like they had someone else's tail and tried to copy it and didn't know what they are doing.

C: It looks like silicone caulk over a scale stencil that was pulled up while the silicone was just spread over the fabric - thus the threads of silicone feathering the edges of all the scales.

D: The fluke is just a mass of silicone caulk dumped over the monofin with streaks from a skewer-like tool dragged through it. The color and glitter looks like it was mixed with the silicone before spreading.

E: The seams definitely need to be re-sewn before it tears. They didn't have the tension set right and the seams are too loose. They didn't even try and finish the waistband area, much less try and disguise the side seams with more scales.

It's not unsalvageable, but it will take a lot of work and I don't think you should send it back to them...DIY! If you are in Waikiki, the shipping costs alone are going to kill you. I have an idea on how you might fix the waist, but I will have to draw parts of it to explain.

Since you've already left positive feedback, there's nothing much you can do. If you bought it on Ebay, you can contact their resolution center and lodge a complaint. You are being too nice, not wanting to hurt her business. If she isn't delivering on what she promises, then she should get bad reviews. That's how business works.

You might have to consider a lesson learned for a high dollar cost, but look at it this way, if you work on it using the advice and resources you find here on MerNetwork, you'll have a fabulous tail and the satisfaction of making most of it yourself!

Good luck!

PearlieMae
08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
PS: Glue the tear with silicone OR E6000. Craft glue won't hold up.

AniaR
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
There's been many complaints. And she had an instagram account showing other makers tails as her own and tagging them. They were voted maker of the issue for tail flip and then gave the article to a different blog. (The one we put together)

Mermaid Cascada
08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Wow... Probably another tail maker turning into a um... Not good tail maker. Jeez, I suck at things like that lol. Here's my advise get some e6000 glue, Resew your seams, and ask what silicone she used so you can fix your tail. She should give you a refund or a new tail.

AniaR
08-08-2013, 05:01 PM
yeah I'm not trying to gossip I have been specifically trying realllllly hard to stay out of mermaid drama right now, and I know SO MUCH going on behind the scenes it's like the hardest thing in the world. lol so that's the best I can tell you is that others including myself HAVE noticed some odd things, and really that tail is WORSE than the first mertailor tail I got. :/ I'd be insisting on a refund. And you know what? Some companies DO give refunds without you having to return the product. It's advertised on infomercials all the time!

ShyMer
08-08-2013, 06:00 PM
It might be in their best interest to not have it sent back because of the costs to have it shipped from Hawaii.

Merley
08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Update: I contacted Sandy and requested she fix the many problems with my tail. She said to send it back to her and she'd work with me. She even offered to put a zipper in. I'm kind of hoping she just scraps mine and starts from scratch since I don't know how shes going to salvage it in its current state. She told me I should have mentioned I was unhappy and I feel like I tried to with my texts but she never responded to my concerns. But the email did do the job so I'm sending it back today along with a 6 page review of picture comparisons of what I want and what I have. I hope it all works out this time. She claimed she was willing to stand behind her product and fix it as need be, which is why she gives out her cell phone number. Still makes me wonder how that kind of quality could slip by her though. If I hadn't said anything she'd have $618 from me and I'd still have a half-baked tail. Either way I'll send it back and give her the benefit of the doubt...for now We'll see how it goes. If all else fails I'll contact PayPal and get my money back and save for a Raven tail. I currently live in my living room/kitchen/my room in our one bedroom apartment (my roommate has the bedroom) I just don't have the space, tools, and at this point, money to tackle this kind of project myself. Plus, my dog can't stay out of my stuff. Something like a tail drying wouldn't survive with him around and me at school. Aside from you guys on the mernetwork I feel really alone. Btw, I posted this response after I read the other posts from you guys, so now I'm just unsure about sending it back. But thanks for the advice/support everyone, I appreciate it. No one else understands my disappointment.

Total to date:

$540 tail
$ 65 shell too (arrived today, wrong color and size AGAIN)
$ 13 ship back wrong top

Apparently my math was off, my mistake.

It should supposedly be another $53 to ship it back since that's how much it cost her to send it here.

ShyMer
08-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Is she making you pay for all of the shipping?

Merley
08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I know I'm paying to ship it there. I would hope she'd at least pay to ship it back

Ariel-Starfish
08-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Omg this is so wrong!
You really deserve a refund or a shiny new tail that lasts!

PearlieMae
08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Quite frankly, I wouldn't send it back until she made you a new one to your satisfaction, otherwise you are liable to get patches on a crap foundation, and paying the shipping on it as well. Only THEN would I send the first one back. That its the cost of doing business, and as the seller, if they are going to make good, either offer a new item or give a full refund.

Mermaid Oshun
08-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Keeping this in perspective though, this silicone tail cost $400. Not the regular cost of a top of the line silicone tail. (2500.00 and up) A lot of fabric tails cost $300.00. Also when you look at the photos of their website I can see the difference in the quality. These products will never look as good as $2500.00 tails made by others no matter how many times they are sent back.
The seams are sewed instead of glued, the fluke has a pocket instead of being single piece construction. The silicone is a thin layer over predominantly fabric. The tails are not airbrushed or even painted at all. So there is really no comparing this to other expensive silicone tails that folk have in their minds. The seams getting loose with wear is actually to be expected and perhaps they should never have been sewed in the first place. The thin layer of silicone is about what you would expect to get given the expensive cost of silicone. But I guess they were trying to keep their costs down to be able to offer it at $400.00

So my point is to be realistic. You should not demand a Rolls Royce at Hyundai prices. This will drive all Hyundai dealers out of business and then there will be NO OPTION for those who have a Hyundai wallet.

Honestly I think Mermaids R US is doing a service to the community by offering any semblance of a silicone tail for $400. The only other vendor I know of still offering latex charges $800.00! So I see some of the above posts as a little haughty and unrealistic. They could take the $400 silicone tails off the market and just offer their $1300.00 silicone tails at this rate. And I for one would not blame them.

AniaR
08-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Sure and I agree but its still not what was advertised to her. Looks nothing like the photo she was shown and honestly 600$ should get you something better than this.

Mermaid Oshun
08-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Oh I see above she paid $540 not the current ebay price of $495. Really I have nothing to gain in this one way or another and I mean no offense. But objectively, if I post the photo from ebay and the photo she posted here of her product side by side... I would have to say they look identical except hers has a monofin in the fluke pocket.
Hers
Ebay
We have a situation here of:
1) her admitting she did not measure herself properly and
2) the thread of the seams stretched from putting it on and pulling it off several times.

AniaR
08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
They have a history of baggy tails. She doesn't know for sure it was her fault. But no offense taking we are all just discussing.

Merley
08-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm saying I measured myself twice, but I admit to not being great at math. Maybe I said it was an inch smaller than I was supposed to because I wasn't sure if she'd account for wanting to make it fit tighter herself. And I can definitely see the differences in what she's advertising and what I got. If you had seen the scales I got in person, I think you'd be pretty upset too. I've only used the tail 5-6 times max, so I don't really think I should be seeing the seams popping out like that. It's not like I was trying to race and get it on as fast as possible. I took my time putting it on, I rolled it down and gently tugged the bunches out. As for what I did about it, I sent it back. I told her flat out I wanted a new tail or a refund and her reply was something to the effect of 'Don't worry, you're going to love what I send you', which doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence. I didn't really know what else to do. I was as clear about this with her as I could possibly be. I already sent it back for another $70 so I'm pretty pissed, but like I've mentioned before, if I had the tools, money and space to do it myself right now, I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place. I just want what was advertised to me and if I don't get it this time I'm going to file a complaint with ebay and paypal. I hope it doesn't come to that. I've tried being firm with her, but it's hard to be taken seriously over the phone. And I realize that a tail worth less than at least half the price of a good tail (say Raven's basic tail) isn't going to get me the 'Rolls Royce' of tails. I have a Hyundai wallet right now, but I made the decision to purchase her product because she had perfect feedback on ebay and a lot of sales history, that and I saw the review for a mermaidsrus tail on here from one of the users, I can't recall her name right now; the tail looked pretty nice for the price and she seemed happy even though it was a little too big. I even tried contacting that user via message while I was in the process of buying, but she never responded. So, I made what I thought at the time was a good decision based on the information available to me.

Also Ariel Starfish: Thanks, I think so too. I was actually looking at pictures in the Merbellas thread yesterday and I saw yours and the stand your grandpa built. You're tail is so pretty I'm so jealous. I literally had dreams about silicone tails last night. Mostly the one Jess is making and a bunch from Merbella's facebook page. So much want.

Mermaid Oshun
08-11-2013, 07:41 PM
I understand you are feeling pessimistic about the whole situation. If she told you don't worry you will be happy.... I think she will obviously try to do the best product she's capable of making. Be hopeful :D

Mermaid Oshun
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey Waikiki Mer! This tail on the left looks a lot like yours!!! Just purple :cool:

They are really NICE TAILS without paying a fortune!!!

Mermaid Octavia
08-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Waikiki, you made the best decision you could given the information you have. I feel terrible that your tail is in such bad shape and sincerely hope Mermaids R Us will do right by you by offering a refund, fixing the tail to your liking or making a new tail for you.

/mer hugs

Merley
08-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. And Pearl, that's what my tail should have looked like but in pink :< so much envy. Is that pic from merpalozza?

Mermaid Momo
08-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey Waikiki Mer! This tail on the left looks a lot like yours!!! Just purple :cool:

They are really NICE TAILS without paying a fortune!!!
( ゚д゚) they both look really I'll fitted though. And those are her own mermaids correct? (As in her primary models and or they usually are the ones who ends up wearing her tails)

From photos I've seen of her other tails too, I think she has difficulty using the measurements that are sent to her and piecing them together.

Mermaid Dottie
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I can see in some of those pictures, that those scales are over a kind of sport fabric, maybe neoprin, which is known to stretch out a lot, Which I think is why your tail is stretching so badly.
It does not look like a well-made tail, to me.
I'm going to go on a comparison here. I have a tail from Fish Butts, back when Stevi wasn't screwing up.
It is clear silicone on painted neoprin. The scales are small, and diamond-shaped.
While my tail is stretched out some, it was incredibly tight when I got it. I loved it very much. the silicone had some spots where it wasn't mixed all the way, but I was okay with that because they ended up looking like scars, but it certainly wasn't bare anywhere. The silicone didn't stick to the glow in the dark paint on the fabric, but I was fine with that, too, because the glow was my idea, and stevi did everything on my tail right.
I had semi hidden seams, it fit my measurements perfectly, and swam well once in the water. Now, nearly a year later, there is a decent amount of wear and tear, but it is still perfectly usable, and in fact, I'm going to patch it, repaint it, give it a new fluke, and give it to my friend, Siren Bells, because it fits her incredibly, and looks like it will last awhile.

So, Recap:
My tail-
~fit me when I got it
~had no bare patches
~silicone on neoprin
~some easily fixed wear after a year

Your tail-
~came much too big
~has worn ragged after a couple swims
~silicone on neoprin
~large gaps/bare spots between scales

Darling, hate to say it, but I think you've been had.

Merley
08-14-2013, 09:28 PM
I know :/ Tail was delivered back to her today and I asked about it and all she had to say was she would 'talk to me soon' with a bunch of smiley faces. I'm about to beat my head bloody. Why is getting a straight answer so difficult?

Update: No refund available, but I think we finally came to an agreement. Should be updated on the progress of my tail and she even bought a stronger type of silicone that she's testing out for me. I think the issue was miscommunication. Will update you guys as I hear more.

Gem Stone
01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Anything new? I'd hate to think that this ended with just bad tails all around

Imogen Finnly
01-22-2014, 01:25 PM
I hope you get this all sorted out. I would hate to see a mermaid with a tail she doesn't like or a tail that falls apart.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Merley
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, to answer your questions nothing really came about from this tail. It remains unswimmable, sitting on my lanai collecting dust. For those who don't know the full story, it continues in this thread -> here (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6433-*Sigh*-Mermaidsrus-Again&highlight=mermaidsrus). Long story short, my godparents who were lawyers were going to help me out, but that didn't happen. So, I'm stuck with a worthless tail that doesn't fit and has no monofin. Just trying to get someone to help me with my measurements for my Merbellas tail. Other than that, Mermaids R Us was a huge mistake. A lot of wasted time, money and unnecessary aggravation.

Imogen Finnly
01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry it turned out unwell:( you'll find a use for that tail at some point. You might get a bigger space and you can take that tail apart and see how it was made so you can make your own (but much better)!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Atlantisblue
01-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Isn't it unsafe to use tin silicone? Even with a fabric mesh in between, you should only use dragonskin from my understanding. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with a tail maker :(

Yulia
01-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Isn't it unsafe to use tin silicone? Even with a fabric mesh in between, you should only use dragonskin from my understanding. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with a tail maker :(
This thread was last posted in a year ago.

Atlantisblue
01-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Sorry, thought you could still comment.

Mermaid Kelda
01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
You can, it's just not really relevant any more (and on most forums, it's etiquette to avoid posting on old threads unless you have something specifically new and useful to add). And often, with bad tail experiences, the OP will just want to move on and forget after the experience. It can be painful to see your thread revived and remember what an awful time you went through.

SIF
01-21-2015, 03:33 AM
Merley, my advice to you would be to make it fit, make it do, and save until you can find another maker to purchase from. I am going through many of these issues myself at the moment. I purchased a tail from a well-aimed young lady who made a great product for the time she was able to give the project, mostly to my spec.(s). Unfortunately it has made it about 6 delicate uses and I am frantically glueing and fixing. That being said, the first thing I saw when I opened the link to ebay was "Weeki Wachee Mermaids". Regardless of how I personally feel about them, I'd advise that you investigate all aspects of a company or maker before ordering. I considered a tail from "Weeki Wachee" until I saw pictures of them standing on their feet in full silicone tails, from multiple makers, in their facebook photos and thought about people taking care of tails knowing tails vs. people standing in full silicone tails, clearly not knowing the detrimental consequences of doing so. I hope you are able to get your current tail figured and save well. :)

AniaR
01-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Ugh this scared me for a second! Thought it was the new tail!