PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Suits: glue or sew?

Echidna
08-08-2013, 06:17 AM
That's the question.
I know for tears and ripped spots, one should glue on neoprene patches (and possibly do a "blind seam" over the ends);
but I need to make the sleeves of my suit smaller, my arm scould fit in twice.

Is it possible to sew it smaller, or will water leak through the sleeves if I do that?

Echinacea
08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
I've never built a wetsuit, but we used neoprene for sprayskirts for kayaks (goes around your waist and stretches to cover the hole to keep the water out, especially in whitewater or surfing) and always just used a neoprene glue, no sewing. The sprayskirts had an elastic cord in them, and got stretched and then pounded by water sometimes, and the glue held up ok for that. Maybe butt the ends together and glue them, then glue a narrow strip over the seam, to help bind it together?

Echidna
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!
Yep, I thought sewing might be a no-go :(
Too bad.
Now to find a suitable glue...

Capt Nemo
08-11-2013, 06:26 PM
The best way is to cut it down to size with a tiny bit extra, glue together and sew. If you have the hot melt patch, you just need to glue then patch both sides.

Odette
11-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Both is always my answer. lol

AptaMer
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!
Yep, I thought sewing might be a no-go :(
Too bad.
Now to find a suitable glue...

Lots of online dive shops sell small cans of the real neoprene glue for suit repairs.

The people have their warehouse in Spain and are very good for the EU:

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/cressi-glue-neoprene/4743/p#

Also, if your neoprene is bare smoothskin you only glue. If it has nylon fabric attached, you top-stitch the fabric at the surface.

Blondie
11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I would say sew. I my experiences of gluing seams, it doesn't last very long.

Mermaid Melanie
11-18-2013, 10:50 PM
my wetsuit for diving is glued and then sewn with a heavy duty poly thread and the glue has held great the one rips i have are at the heels where its just binded and stitched