PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a tail maker?

Jinx
08-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Ok mers! Here is the deal. I am almost ready to launch my own tail making business. Before I open I want to hear from you. I want to know what you want, wish, hope for, look for, and hope NOT to deal with or see when it comes to what you want in a tail maker. So what do YOU WANT TO EXPECT AND SEE IN YOUR MERMAID TAIL MAKER?????

Thanks for any input you volunteer !
Jynxie!

Mermaid Tula
08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Hmmm lets see...
It depends on what kind of tail you're making.

Silicone/Partial Silicone:
I would want colors that are just about spot on.
I know it would probably take longer, but different scales to choose from. (Or custom scales would be nice)
Custom fluke shape option.
Extra fins and dorsal options.

I'd like to see the tails come out in a timely order.
I wouldn't like to see the tail maker get overwhelmed and let orders get piled up to the point of not being able to do them all. (So a limit would be good at least until comfortable with taking larger orders)
Communication is KEY. I've seen so many people be hurt by lack of communication and even blocked communication.
I would like to see lots of picture updates, and possibly even a short video of the tail being packed for shipping.

Well, I think that's basically all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps <3

Mermaid Varshana
08-13-2013, 04:42 AM
1) Good communication.

2) Creativity, passion and talent.

3) Is able to do what I tell them to do.

4) Timeliness.

5) Has madd skillz with the materials they're using.

6) Wouldn't send out a product that any reasonable person would feel embarassed sending out.

7) Doesn't get backlogged with 1127827382378723647 orders.

8) HAS INTEGRITY.

9) Custom flukes.

10) Custom paint job. None of this "Pick from 1-3 colors" crap.

Mermaid Momo
08-13-2013, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't really mind a set number of colors to pick from because pigment costs a lot of money. But maybe once you get off the ground, you offer more colors and custom colors?
- organized
- timely updates (preferably on a schedule. For ex: every other Monday you send an update , unless a costumer asks for one before the scheduled time .)
- lots of videos and photos
-has an order limit/ knows your own limits when it comes to making tails
- lots of communication
- deals professionally with bad reviews and bad blood (if any arise)
- good packaging. What i mean by that is, take your time to package every tail you send out. Or show someone how to do it. You can tell if someone just threw it into a box compared to someone who took the time to wrap it.

and basically what everyone else has said.

Lady Aurelia
08-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Yay! I'm so excited for your tails. Very different design concept from what's being made out there.

I agree with everyone from above. Sorry, I can't really add anything to the conversation, but all that I can think of has been listed and I don't think you need another post repeating what's already been said.

Mermaid Octavia
08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
What's important to me is:

• Communication / Willingness to work with customers on a one-on-one basis
• Timely updates (if any are requested) / Makes good on promises (i.e. sending photo updates when you say you will)
• Good quality photos so customers know generally what to expect
• Custom color options
• Professional attitude when it comes to reviews/drama

I know these materials take time to set, paint, etc. so delivering a tail within a reasonable timeframe (say 2-4 months or the like for silicone, perhaps shorter for fabric) is very respectable. Custom sales and flukes are probably more difficult so I wouldn't necessarily expect these from a tailmaker, especially a new one, but would be pleasantly surprised!

I hope that helps!

indigo mermaid
08-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm still looking for a silicone tail that performs in the ocean as well as I do. I want a tail maker with knowledge about monofins and hydrodynamics as well as everything that goes into working with silicone, painting and running a quality business.

Jinx
08-19-2013, 08:22 PM
All of these things are helping mers! Tell me more. Don't hold back.

MerEmma
08-19-2013, 08:36 PM
LOTS of close up pictures of the fluke designs & scales.
Also plenty of examples.

Ariadne
08-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Please don't post new projects on facebook without having responded to clients' emails first! Especially those whose tails are overdue - having to watch a tailmaker focus on other people's orders while wondering where yours is can be so upsetting.

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Please don't post new projects on facebook without having responded to clients' emails first! Especially those whose tails are overdue - having to watch a tailmaker focus on other people's orders while wondering where yours is can be so upsetting.

I second that statement. Eric Ducharme (aka The Mertailor) is sadly the best for this kind of shit. No respectful at all. :(

While i like the fact that he's creative for his bussiness (always with new ideas like his new flippers for example...), i think he should focus more on the orders first. Making a mermaid happy should be the first priority of a tail maker.

Morticia Mermaid
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok, I have to share some input here because I know some behind the scenes information. The new fins aren't Eric's creation, they are Matt's. Eric does nothing more than pour the silicone for the new partial silicone tails using the fins.

And as far as on topic with the thread, I'd have to agree with everyone else.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
I second that statement. Eric Ducharme (aka The Mertailor) is sadly the best for this kind of shit. No respectful at all. :(

While i like the fact that he's creative for his bussiness (always with new ideas like his new flippers for example...), i think he should focus more on the orders first. Making a mermaid happy should be the first priority of a tail maker.
I totally aagree. I also think photos should only be posted publicly with the mermaids permission or after she has received it. That way if the design is a secret or surprise in some way it is kept secret, also it seems more respectful to the clients feelings to be certain they are ok with it if they are posted before they recieve their tail.

Aziara
08-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I have to say, I've never ordered a tail myself, so I've never had to deal with a tail maker. But one thing that might keep you from being overwhelmed is only taking limited orders at a time, say somewhere between 5 to 10. That way, it would be easier to keep in touch with each customer and you'd be able to cut down the waiting time, because there aren't that many people waiting ahead of them. One thing I would say, is please please please make each tail in the same order you received the order from the customers.

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I have to say, I've never ordered a tail myself, so I've never had to deal with a tail maker. But one thing that might keep you from being overwhelmed is only taking limited orders at a time, say somewhere between 5 to 10. That way, it would be easier to keep in touch with each customer and you'd be able to cut down the waiting time, because there aren't that many people waiting ahead of them. One thing I would say, is please please please make each tail in the same order you received the order from the customers.

Unless someone paid rush order, then you better rush that order! And make sure to let the other customers know about the rush order so they understand. :)

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok, I have to share some input here because I know some behind the scenes information. The new fins aren't Eric's creation, they are Matt's. Eric does nothing more than pour the silicone for the new partial silicone tails using the fins.

And as far as on topic with the thread, I'd have to agree with everyone else.

Really??! Matt's creations? Of course, he failed to mention that... :rolleyes:
I'm gonna do it then :

Eric : "Hi facebook fans, look at my boyfriend's creation : the new flippers!! Isn't Matt amazing for helping me expanding my business? I'm so lucky to have a boyfriend supporting me. :)

*whispering* Make no mistake though, I the great Eric, would have thought of that idea too if I weren't so busy creating your tails! Because I'm awesome! :cool:"

I totally aagree. I also think photos should only be posted publicly with the mermaids permission or after she has received it. That way if the design is a secret or surprise in some way it is kept secret, also it seems more respectful to the clients feelings to be certain they are ok with it if they are posted before they recieve their tail.

My thoughts exactly. But of course, for him, that would be impossible to stop since he need the publicity from his creations... He may call himself an artist but he's an artist who thinks about money.. :doh:
I'm pretty sure that Raven and the Finfolks people ask for permission first before showing the tails to Facebook.

Mermaid Oshun
08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I think Raven posts all her new tails before she ships them and I think she has a right to. It is the artist's product and they have a right to show it. After all, the customer can refuse to buy it and it remains the artist's product. It would be wrong for an artist to show a photo of the customer though, bc the customer does not belong to them in any way shape or form.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I think Raven posts all her new tails before she ships them and I think she has a right to. It is the artist's product and they have a right to show it. After all, the customer can refuse to buy it and it remains the artist's product. It would be wrong for an artist to show a photo of the customer though, bc the customer does not belong to them in any way shape or form.
Don't get me wrong I agree the artist can post the photos. I just think showing the photos should be either after the customer has seen it or with an agreement they can show them before hand so the thrill of a new tail can be fully appreciated after all the artist wouldn't be making the tail without the customer paying for the materials.

Morticia Mermaid
08-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Really??! Matt's creations? Of course, he failed to mention that... :rolleyes:
I'm gonna do it then :

Eric : "Hi facebook fans, look at my boyfriend's creation : the new flippers!! Isn't Matt amazing for helping me expanding my business? I'm so lucky to have a boyfriend supporting me. :)

*whispering* Make no mistake though, I the great Eric, would have thought of that idea too if I weren't so busy creating your tails! Because I'm awesome! :cool:"

There's no need to be rude. I was sharing information. And also, they have been working together on designs since the end of last year. If people weren't so caught up in bashing Eric, being nasty, and spreading slander they would actually notice that. He's stated on several of the new designs that they were work between him and Matt.

Mermaid Oshun
08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
I disagree Jinx. I am an artist and I have the right to show anything I make until it changes hands to a new owner unless a contract is drawn up requesting mutual agreement to other terms beforehand.
And Morticia I agree that there seems to be a sickening amount of Eric bashing on here. I objectively see that Merbella, Finfolk and Mertailor are all talented artists. I see no reason to stage a hatefest on any of these artists. If you don't like Eric for whatever personal reasons then just don't buy from him. However staging a hatefest is not only terribly obvious but also seems pathetic and desperate. If one were not desperate they would not go to such extremes. It starts to cast a negative impression upon the real talents of the competition if they need to resort to such pathetic and lame tactics.

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM

I don't think Raven shows every single tail before shipping--some people who have purchased tails never show up on her FB or Instagram.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 02:56 PM
There's no need to be rude. I was sharing information. And also, they have been working together on designs since the end of last year. If people weren't so caught up in bashing Eric, being nasty, and spreading slander they would actually notice that. He's stated on several of the new designs that they were work between him and Matt.
I don't think it was meant to be rude exactly. I think french merman was just trying to illustrate the point that the true artist should have their work acknowledged as theirs'. It is rather inappropriate for him to not at least mention that is isn't his design. We all know Eric is the paris hilton of the mermaid world. There is one like that in every location of the world in the mermaid community. It wasn't a dig just what would be expected to be said if someone is a true professional because they wouldn't want someone to take credit for their work then they wouldn't take credit for someone else's work. Even if it is just omitting part of the story of the piece. He did say "The new mertailor fins" not our new fins available at mertailor. Just saying say it clearly.

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 03:05 PM

I just have been sarcastic. While i trust your word, Morticia, I have been following Eric on Facebook since the month i registered here (April 2013) and yet, i never saw Matt's name on any new design he put on Facebook until now so i couldn't know that behind the scenes, they were actually working together. Otherwise, i would have kept my mouth shut and put up a smile.
Since the flippers are the newest big things in The Mertailor franchise, i don't get why he didn't put Matt's name to recognize his work. :confused:

PearlieMae
08-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I think the thread should get back on point. :D

Mermaid Dottie
08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks PearlieMae. I agree.

Most of what people have posted so far about what they want in a tailmaker, I agree with.

I personally like flukes that are way out there and different, totally fantasy and surreal, and flukes that look extremely real, and by that I mean less fantasy, more like a real animal.
Fishy (http://www.smithpc.com/oil-paintings/A-Mermaid-A1022630.htm) tails, and Fantasy (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=126863227477624&set=pb.126859280811352.-2207520000.1377026687.&type=3&theater) tails. That's what I like.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
I just have been sarcastic. While i trust your word, Morticia, I have been following Eric on Facebook since the month i registered here (April 2013) and yet, i never saw Matt's name on any new design he put on Facebook until now so i couldn't know that behind the scenes, they were actually working together. Otherwise, i would have kept my mouse shut and put up a smile.
Since the flippers are the newest big things in The Mertailor franchise, i don't get why he didn't put Matt's name to recognize his work. :confused:
I agree and I Have been following him for 2 years now and your right he NEVER puts anything up without saying i made it. Only one thing did he write his bf made it and they were a sculpture of seperate fins well over a year ago.

Jinx
08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
I think the thread should get back on point. :D
True.
That would be helpful.

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
As for the thread, i think you should think about making stuff for mermen too. :)

For example, Raven thought about making bracers which is cool since both gender can wear them.

If there were stuff for mermen other than tails only, i would be very interested. :D

Jinx
08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks PearlieMae. I agree.

Most of what people have posted so far about what they want in a tailmaker, I agree with.

I personally like flukes that are way out there and different, totally fantasy and surreal, and flukes that look extremely real, and by that I mean less fantasy, more like a real animal.
Fishy (http://www.smithpc.com/oil-paintings/A-Mermaid-A1022630.htm) tails, and Fantasy (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=126863227477624&set=pb.126859280811352.-2207520000.1377026687.&type=3&theater) tails. That's what I like.
I agree. My plan is the have a number of options for flute design but 100% custome is a very very expensive option as to make the molds for each fluke design is a very expensive and lengthy process. While I may decide to offer it as an option it will be costly for anyone who would order it.

Mermaid Dottie
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
As for the thread, i think you should think about making stuff for mermen too. :)

For example, Raven thought about making bracers which is cool since both gender can wear them.
TOTALLY! Guys would look way good in your extended design, Jynx.

I agree. My plan is the have a number of options for flute design but 100% custome is a very very expensive option as to make the molds for each fluke design is a very expensive and lengthy process. While I may decide to offer it as an option it will be costly for anyone who would order it.

Yes, quite. Having two or three fluke styles to start would probably be plenty.

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
TOTALLY! Guys would look way good in your extended design, Jynx.

Yes, quite. Having two or three fluke styles to start would probably be plenty.

Totally!
If i remember right, Raven made 4 original fluke styles for her business : the Merbella, the Merfin, the Angler and the Basic.
And a fifth one, the Ariel (not possible at this moment).

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 03:49 PM
What do you mean the Ariel isn't possible at this moment? She said it was available, I thought?

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 03:53 PM
What do you mean the Ariel isn't possible at this moment? She said it was available, I thought?

Well, i may be wrong but as far as i know, the Ariel fluke has been made for "The Little Merbella" project, a special order for a customer and so far, i never saw on facebook any update about a tail with an Ariel fluke. Beside, if it was available for orders, wouldn't Raven put the design officially on her album? :thinks:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.485946334794785.109119.178589958863759&type=3

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
I swear I saw an update somewhere on her facebook saying that she would be making more tails with that fluke--I know it's somewhere but I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Ariadne
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=A French Merman;86923]*whispering* Make no mistake though, I the great Eric, would have thought of that idea too if I weren't so busy creating your tails! Because I'm awesome! :cool:"

Clearly, I am totally inappropriate too, because I snarfed my coffee while reading this...j'adore snarky humor! Thank you for the laugh, Frenchie! May I call you Frenchie? I've always wanted a friend named Frenchie since I saw Grease when I was like 6...:p

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=A French Merman;86923]*whispering* Make no mistake though, I the great Eric, would have thought of that idea too if I weren't so busy creating your tails! Because I'm awesome! :cool:"

Clearly, I am totally inappropriate too, because I snarfed my coffee while reading this...j'adore snarky humor! Thank you for the laugh, Frenchie! May I call you Frenchie? I've always wanted a friend named Frenchie since I saw Grease when I was like 6...:p

You are welcome. I love this kind of humor too ;)
Sorry about the coffee though. :$

You may call me Frenchie. It's cute and i like it but that won't last because i'm expecting to have my name changed into "Merman Arion". :)

Ariadne
08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I like that name! Very unique.

Merman Arion
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I like that name! Very unique.

Thanks. I like your name too. :hug:

Echidna
08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Reading indigo mermaid's post, I realized there is the idea for a concept that to my knowledge, hasn't been done yet.

I'd find it awesome if there was a tailmaker doing two different kinds of realistic tails:

1) hydro-dynamic, fast, powerful swimming tails, suited for ocean swimming and diving
(these could resemble fast swimmers, like tuna, sharks, and dolphins);

2) elaborate, beautiful performance tails best suited for tanks, in fantastic colours and shapes, with long, trailing, diaphanous flukes...go wild dreaming up a fairy tail :)

You could also specialize in one of these.
So far, tailmakers seem to make something in-between.

PearlieMae
08-20-2013, 08:18 PM
That is exactly what I hope to do!

Frankly, it would seem that most mers are very likely pool swimmers, and fantasy tails would be well suited to that environment. Ocean and open water mers would probably prefer something that would be conducive to being able to move far, quickly.

Customer service and excellent communication, along with a variety of fluke, fun, and scale styles to start with, would ensure that the client is getting their vision realized!

Jinx
08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
I have a number of scale designs to choose from and flukes and fin addition for customization. The creative side of my business is set in stone quite literally as of now. Its more customer services that people would like that I want to know. Any other things you guys can thjink of?

mermaidm
09-29-2013, 07:19 PM
someone might have said this, but speedy and friendly replies to emails, whether the customer is ordering, asking a question, etc.
it's so exciting that you're going to open a tail making business. Have you opened yet?

Jinx
09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
someone might have said this, but speedy and friendly replies to emails, whether the customer is ordering, asking a question, etc.
it's so exciting that you're going to open a tail making business. Have you opened yet?

I totally agree.

mermaidm
09-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks! :) Do you know when you're opening? Seeing new tailmakers' work is so exciting!

Jinx
09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks! :) Do you know when you're opening? Seeing new tailmakers' work is so exciting!

Very soon I will let everyone know when the date is set :-D

deepblue
09-30-2013, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see tail makers in general give really clear pricing schedules in an easy to find place. I see way too many seem to not want to put it right out there.