PDA

View Full Version : Monofin Retail

Aquatarian
09-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Hello out there. I just wanted to make a thread where we can list, talk about, and review certain online retail outlets and known monofin makers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had trouble trying to find the right monofin for what I want to do or has had trouble with finding monofins with more modest prices so we might as well make it easy as we can for everyone. ^_^

~

Finis Rapid/Wave - I would say that this is pretty much the go to monofin for most mers, especially because of the cheaper price. While I'm sure it works quite well (don't actually own one) I don't personally like the generic paddle shape that often shows through most tails with a more detailed fluke shape. And the ridges along the blade don't really make for the most realistic tail, especially when they contrast with paint some fins have.

Finis Competitor - This was actually my first monofin. The propulsion I got from this was amazing, and it was surprisingly fluid in the water. I've heard of a lot of people, including Hannah Fraser, using this monofin and detailing it to fit their own design (because of the large size). It is priced a bit high being around $300 originally and $270 with most website discounts.

Dol-Fin Tails - They look amazing and seem very high quality for a reasonable price. I haven't seen one in action but I really wonder what one would look like in a tail.

OceanOasis Tails - I was blissfully unaware of them until right before they shut down their website for some upgrades. They began as a shop on etsy, grew to a simple site on weebly and are building a newer better website (or so I've heard) for their custom-made monofins. They had multiple mermaid inspired fluke shapes and even had the option of customizing the shape (for a little extra green). If anyone has bought from them I would love to know how the monofin turned out.

~

I've also tried to contact another mer with a youtube channel. Her username is "vickylynne". She hasn't been active on her channel for a couple weeks now but she mentioned for a long time that she would be trying to create custom made monofins at more affordable prices and would customize details down to foot pocket size. If I get a message back from her I will definitely let you guys know.

Okay, so if anyone else has anything they would like to add about certain brands, or makers, or have made monofins themselves, or are willing and eager to make monofins for other mers, please join in. And using a similar format would be visually helpful I'm sure.

Winged Mermaid
09-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Finis does have some undesirable traits in their cheaper fins, but they can be modified easily as well, so it's not that big of a deal IMO. Plus it's not like there's a wide range of affordable monofins :/

I've heard nothing but good things about the Competitor from everyone I have asked that has one.

Anita- member "そばかすのキス (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?363-%E3%81%9D%E3%81%B0%E3%81%8B%E3%81%99%E3%81%AE%E3%8 2%AD%E3%82%B9)" formerly known as Freckled Kisses- has a Dol-Fin monofin, and she says she loves it! She got it for a deal from what I remember as well. Here's a pic (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/311037_10150267796253751_629858750_7550803_632384_ n.jpg) someone snapped of us at one of the pool parties, where you can see her tail pretty well.

Vicky! Yeah, she was around on MerYuku way back when, and started her tail and monofin ventures in a thread there. I don't think she's made it on here yet. On her FB she recently said, "I do believe I've cracked the code to making the perfect monofin. Videos of test swims will be up soon!". Here's her FB Page: Mermaid Victoria Osborn (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Victoria-Osborn/156357514441184).

Mermaid Saphira
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Aquatarin- I actually own OceanOasisTails, yes we are expanding, but we still have to do a few more tests on the mono-fin I made before they can
be sold to the public(dolphin fluke) I may take a year or less due to the fact my father and I are very busy. I'm glad you stated us above, i apperciate it : )
I will pm you when the new site is up and running <3

Aquatarian
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Aquatarin- I actually own OceanOasisTails, yes we are expanding, but we still have to do a few more tests on the mono-fin I made before they can
be sold to the public(dolphin fluke) I may take a year or less due to the fact my father and I are very busy. I'm glad you stated us above, i apperciate it : )
I will pm you when the new site is up and running <3

Thanks so much! And I would also put a notice up in this thread so other people can see when you are ready to take orders, or have any other news.

Mermaid Saphira
09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Will do : )