PDA

View Full Version : traveling for gigs: the touring mermaid

Odette
08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello! Been a very busy mermaid. I had the wonderful opportunity to now be traveling for work. I’ll be going back and forth throughout the united states performing for the next 4 years. Next dates are for Kentucky and New Mexico.

First off: make sure you get paid.You need to let the client know that you expect them to pay for traveling fees.none of this" reimburse" stuff. they pay for the plane ticket upfront round trip or don't take it.calculate gas money into the estimate.

What I can tell you about this mermaid tour of sorts is that its not easy.It’s fairly difficult actually and a little scary because I don’t know a lot of people in lets say Arkansas or Colorado.If you really wanted to do this, there are some options i know of on how you can do it. I’ll even mention the options that no one is going to tell you but can work for you.

You can take an RV and hit the highways.find stuff on route. There was always an RV park everywhere I went so far and all conveniently right off the main highways.They aren’t expensive to stay at for a night or two.

Road trip!You can take a car like I did.The gas for a drive from Tucson Arizona to Prestonburg Kentucky was around $750, but you need to change your oil,get your tires rotated before you leave.Any problems you could have with your car for a trip that long needs to be taken care of.you can get a ticket for having a crack in your windshield depending on where you are and how stingy the law enforcement is.give yourself 2-3 days before you have to be anywhere.I came close to missing a stop because of driving time.mind you these were small things to get me to the bigger destination.

Something you can do if you know family in a state or you plan to visit a friend states away or there is a gig you want to do and you know someone who lives there you can ask to stay with them for a few days.A close performing friend of mine told me that and I thought that was actually a great way to save on the hotel money and spend time with your friends while getting paid to mermaid.Also if you know a good photographer in that area, that’s another opportunity!

Something I get to do soon is a entertainment company is PAYING for my ticket to do a big pool party event like the kind you hear about on the radio.It’s only a week apart from the next gig in Kentucky. Yeah, im nervous .I never met the guy but he saw a show I did and wants me to do the pool party and be a guest for a convention in October. I just hope it all works out.I passed by the hotel while i was driving up to Texas. so at least i know where i will be =)

please add on anything you know. im really busy right now and i want to make this thread a guide for any traveling mermaids.i'll add anything i learn on the way as i go.

My schedule as of now is New Mexico,Kentucky,New Mexico,Kentucky, Arizona(summer), West Virgina, and from there I have no idea.

MermaidNami
08-14-2013, 11:35 PM
what part of KY? I'd love to come see you.
having been hired for my first "out of town" gigs this year, I can say that I have put a lot of thought into my budget. also, as a single girl, I would recommend NOT TRAVELING ALONE. the exception is flying. but even still...ina strange city? its a bad idea. bring a friend. a parent. a boyfriend.
if nothing else, someone to help with exspenses and the driving. strength in numbers.

AniaR
08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
what I know: Travelling across Canada is crazy. LOL we're too big! I'd love to travel more. I have had a few opportunities but they just weren't fesable. So all the power to you.

Odette
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
awesome!
Nami: Im in a tiny town in eastern Kentucky till September where ill be in Lexington for Kentokyocon doing a panel and swim and greet.Next week is Last summers stand pool party in New Mexico.The Bat mobile is going to be there!the one from the 50's TV show with Adam West.
good tip! being alone would be a terrible mess.

Thanks, Raina. It's definitely a challenge! Canada is pretty big. ^-^

Alveric
08-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I'll try to make it to the Lexington thing.

Mermaid Danielle
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
This is a great idea for a thread! I also definitely agree with MermaidNami, if you can help it, DON'T travel alone! Also finding a way to confirm an event outside of the person hiring you is also a really good idea (like checking if the venue is actually having an event that day that matches what you're being told you are performing at).

Miyu
08-26-2013, 10:00 PM
*Gasp* You get to see the Batmobile?!? Awesome :D I love your tail so so much. it's one of my faves. It's so awesome you get to travel to do shows! YaY!

Also, I used to live in Colorado until recently :P So I know a lot of people/contacts out that way if you ARE interested in doing shows there, let me know and I'll see if I can hook you up with what you need there.

I'm interested in hearing about tips on this subject... I do hope to work my way up to "travelling performer" some day :)

Odette
09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Miyu- Thanks! I do enjoy Colorado. Once everything settles down a bit, I will totally contact you. I LOVE your picture. I just started Watching "Squid Girl." So cute

Really important tip I really want to get out there. make sure you write on your website that you expect them to pay for your travel expenses.Never expect your clients to understand how to hire you. even with very obvious stuff.let them know everything before they email you.

I don't like to take risks and have my ticket reimbursed.I don't trust anyone without it in writing and signed.It's the worst part of this.I have to call the event coordinator today for a really big and fancy event.and get a response on the quote I sent to verify getting the flight to Phoenix.Its the weekend before i have to be in New Mexico for a con. look at how pretty it is! 14563 I would then have to get back to the creative director of the New Mexico gig and let him know that he will have to pay for a cheaper one-trip flight back to my home base.He won't complain. It's cheaper.So fly out to Phoenix,gig,stay in AZ till next week,bus to New Mexico,gig,fly back; and like you guys said. don't travel alone? I'm alone.Never traveled alone before. little nervous,but I have to =/. any words of encouragement/advice?

WillowAnne
09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Odette: where in Eastern KY? I currently live in Ky, but I grew up in Hazard, KY (perry county) which is southeastern KY. What are you there for?

WillowAnne
09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Whoa. I should be fined for the obsessive use of "KY". I guess I like my state.

KY: The jelly state. lol.

Odette
10-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Odette: where in Eastern KY? I currently live in Ky, but I grew up in Hazard, KY (perry county) which is southeastern KY. What are you there for?
I just got the jelly joke. lol
I'm near Pikeville still. I came to entertain mostly and it looks like I may be staying for other reasons. I may post about it in a different thread. A lot has happened. What an adventure.

pelke34
04-08-2022, 08:52 AM
I travel to work in my own car, because unfortunately we are not provided with company cars. I don't have quality wheels for my own car. Until I buy an oulea I won't be able to go on business trips.

planet54
04-08-2022, 10:04 AM
Tires are very important. Wheels are the main engine of the process, as far as I'm concerned. When I bought the car, I realized that it had to be taken care of just like a small child. Wash it, clean the seats and wash the steering wheel. But the biggest problem was buying tires. This problem was until I found a store
online tires canada https://tireplanet.ca/. Maybe this will be useful to someone.

tinadash
03-20-2024, 03:12 PM
It must be an incredible adventure! Finding the right places to stay and making sure that everything is set for your performances must require a lot of planning. If you ever find yourself looking for accommodations near ski resorts or outdoor adventure spots, perfect north slopes customer service (https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/perfect-north-slopes/customer-service.html) could be really helpful. They might offer info about the best places to stay or even partner with local hotels that understand the unique needs of performing artists like yourself. Safe travels on your mermaid journeys!