PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to sew a weight belt into a neoprene tail?

WillowAnne
08-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Ok, here's the dealy-o.

I'm just about to start making a neoprene tail (materials are being ordered), but I am trying to solve the "I need added weight to sink" issue. I love the pretty weight belts, but they're really not for me. I'm trying to figure out how to add weight without a weight belt. I've heard somewhere that someone puts weights between their legs, but I don't know if that would be comfortable... There are scuba belts that exist (that aren't too thick at all) that you can "thread" weights through, so they sit snugly with the belt and don't stick out. Would the added weight from the belt affect the neoprene?

Suggestions? HELP! :)

NerineArcticMermaid
08-15-2013, 07:33 PM
not sure but I made mermaid style weight belts. Raina has one. and you can see mine in my images on fb. I sell them on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/legendaryart

Mermaid Cascada
08-15-2013, 08:11 PM
If you see it in it might cause tearing.

WillowAnne
08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
If you see it in it might cause tearing.

See, that's what I'm afraid of... I wonder if it would be less likely to tear if I distributed the weights (more small weights instead of a few larger ones...

Mermaid Cascada
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
That could work.

Mermaid Kelda
08-15-2013, 11:35 PM
It might be possible to glue smaller weights throughout the tail - if you could find any that are button-shaped, they might stick out in just the right way to look like scales, and you could paint the neoprene on top of them in a scale pattern (maybe just in select places, like the waist and ankles - you wouldn't want a ten tonne tail).
Don't know if that's possible, I've never worked with neoprene, but it'd be cool if it worked!