PDA

View Full Version : Any desire for REAL LATEX and Neoprene tails (not alex and neoprin, etc) ?

Mermaid Citrine
08-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Hey Mer Community,
I haven't been on here in a long time and sorry for that (too many accounts to keep track of)
but anyway, I'm now offering custom painted spandex tails for sale here with matching tops:
www.sirensofparadise.com

and....I'm finishing up my 2nd latex tail...made with REAL latex and REAL neoprene (not Alex, window sealant, neoprin, etc)
I was very excited to make real latex tails because it seemed to be a niche that could be filled as I have read so many complaints
about tails made with Alex and neoprin, etc. and it seems to fill that gap in between spandex tails and silicone for a mid-range tail but now I'm wondering if anyone is even interested in real latex tails or do people generally just save up for silicone tails now ?

Also, it seems Mertailor and FishButts still sell plenty of tails made with bathtub caulking and I heard...window sealant so perhaps there really isn't much issue with those types of tails afterall ? (despite some of the negative things people have said about using those materials) I have felt a Mertailor "latex" tail and a FishButts tail and also both seem to be made with neoprin spacer as they are really light and stretchy. One thing I have noticed with using real neoprene (and I've been using neoprene that is backed on both sides with nylon) is that its much tougher than the foamy neoprin which I guess can have its pros and cons.
One of the pros of my latex tails is that they only weigh 6-8 lbs including with the monofin (dry weight).

Anyway, before I make more latex tails and offer them for sale, I wanted to reach out to see if there is any interest in people buying real latex tails as a "mid range'' option between spandex and silicone ?

Also, I think my painted spandex tails are the most realistic you can get for a fabric tail so check out my new site and email me at
sirensofparadise@gmail.com if you'd like a quote for your custom spandex tail and top!

Thanks everyone :) :)

OrcaMatt
08-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Always kind of wonder if anybody does proper latex tails anymore. Felt like everybody moved to silicone at some point and latex got left behind.

Mermaid Enhydrina
08-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Can you post pictures of your work? What would be the pricing on the tails?

Anahita
08-18-2013, 02:31 AM
As of late I've not seen a lot of latex tails... The ones I have seen are usually made by the wearer rather than ordered from a maker, and I have to wonder if that's because no one is making them properly though.... As you said, a lot of caulking in lieu of actual latex. I think it's an overlooked area of the market, and I think that latex got a bad wrap because of the caulked tails being sold as latex. But I imagine a good, genuine latex with neoprene backing tail would be something people would be interested in, if only for the sake of having a realistic tail at only a fraction of the cost of a realistic silicone one.

But price really is the deciding factor here... Because if the price isn't that different from a neoprene backed silicone one, people may still choose the silicone one, just because the good reputation silicone has built up for being durable.

Gem Stone
08-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I have to agree here^ if I can buy a silicone and neoprene tail at the same price as a latex and neoprene tail, I'm probably going to go with the silicone one. and if in order to make a profit you have to put the prices the same, I'm not sure if you'll have enough buyers to make it worth the effort. but I would definitely like to see some of your work

Mermaid Citrine
08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback, here is my 1st latex tail:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.352705771493993.75637.156746734423232&type=3

and here: I'm on the right with the red in my tail, to my left is Lyna wearing a fishbutts just fyi
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945620_432627943501775_165548950_n.jpg

I have to agree here^ if I can buy a silicone and neoprene tail at the same price as a latex and neoprene tail, I'm probably going to go with the silicone one. and if in order to make a profit you have to put the prices the same, I'm not sure if you'll have enough buyers to make it worth the effort. but I would definitely like to see some of your work

Mermaid Citrine
08-22-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm finishing up my 2nd latex tail and will have pictures of that one by the end of the weekend, its even lighter than my first one (the rainbowy one)
and the scale texture is more uniform. And then here are my spandex tails (although this specific thread wasn't about spandex, but I am definitely selling these
in custom colors/designs and have made 4 so far)
https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1012313_436144069816829_607126005_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/46445_448145971949972_1144048289_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/644230_450603548370881_391720978_n.jpg

Mermaid Citrine
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know/tried to make silicone with the netting texture stamp instead of casting a mold (like others and I do for latex)....I really don't want to get into mold making....yet :/ but I am thinking maybe, there is a reason I haven't discovered yet as to why no one is using real latex for tails...the ones on the market advertised as latex all seem to be caulking

Anahita
08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know/tried to make silicone with the netting texture stamp instead of casting a mold (like others and I do for latex)....I really don't want to get into mold making....yet :/ but I am thinking maybe, there is a reason I haven't discovered yet as to why no one is using real latex for tails...the ones on the market advertised as latex all seem to be caulking

I've never tried it... The reason is because no matter what, the texture of the silicone requires a mold anyhow (at least all the silicone I've worked with is like that) so rather than have a huge flat empty mold where you'd lay the netting over, lift up, and potentially have a lot of damage done in the process, having a textured mold is easier. Also, silicone has a long cure time, which makes stamping not really ideal. I think the same goes for latex, though I can't remember because last time I worked with latex it was YEARS ago. Caulking, on the other hand, is thicker, and can be spread and hold its shape, which makes it ideal for taking a stamp/netting pattern, etc.

AniaR
08-23-2013, 06:18 PM
I would very much love to purchase from you within this next year for the mers in my company. Id be very interested in your rates, and if there would be a discount for bulk order ;) I am applying for business grants!

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Oh great Raina ! You are always expanding and doing so much WOW ! To clarify are you interested in bulk orders of my spandex tails or latex ?

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 07:52 PM
My 2nd latex tail. Made with real latex and neoprene

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1238062_457385954359307_1707877086_n.jpg

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1002606_457389607692275_89769716_n.jpg

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1185225_457389007692335_2071207035_n.jpg

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Last link.....my youtube channel where you can see several videos of me swimming in both my spandex and latex tails so you can see them in action ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/becsta913?feature=watch

Mermaid Citrine
08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
On a related note....I heard Fish Butts "partial silicone'' tails are made with neoprin that is painted and then coated with clear window caulking/sealant and imprinted to give a textured look and besides customer service issues/long wait times, I have not heard any complaints about these types of tails breaking down or causing health issues, etc. ....does anyone know of such issues with those types of tails ?

Sorry for all the technical questions, but I would very much like to offer a 'realistic' type tail in between the fabric and full silicone molded tails that are currently available on the market. I know with the bathtub caulking, a lot of people said they turn white after a while and start breaking down after about 1-2 yrs so that's no go and the reason I have not experimented with that type but just curious if anyone has had issues with Fish butts type of tails. I am pretty happy with how both of my real latex/neoprene tails have turned out and though I haven't been able to compare a lot of other types of tails in depth, mine are much lighter than others. Both of my latex tails only weigh 6-8 lbs including the finis monofin in them. The only thing I'm not 100% crazy about is that they don't hug tight around the knees and ankles as tight as my spandex tails do and I know all 'realistic' type tails have this same issue but I think they should be better so I'm trying to find out as much info as I can to perfect this design so that it is:
durable, realistic, available in custom colors, hugs to the body, has texture but still lightweight (under 10 lbs)

any help is appreciated so I can help the community and give back by being another custom tail maker !
I know there are some awesome ones out there already and I VERY MUCH admire and give tons of RESPECT to the tail makers before me who have paved the way but what I see happening is an increase in popularity of tails and not enough tail makers to meet the demand for tails in a timely reasonable manner (too many great tail makers are getting swamped and too many people are left to dry ! ;) waiting months/years for tails

Thanks everyone !

Mermaid Citrine

Sephina
08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
On a related note....I heard Fish Butts "partial silicone'' tails are made with neoprin that is painted and then coated with clear window caulking/sealant and imprinted to give a textured look and besides customer service issues/long wait times, I have not heard any complaints about these types of tails breaking down or causing health issues, etc. ....does anyone know of such issues with those types of tails ?

Sorry for all the technical questions, but I would very much like to offer a 'realistic' type tail in between the fabric and full silicone molded tails that are currently available on the market. I know with the bathtub caulking, a lot of people said they turn white after a while and start breaking down after about 1-2 yrs so that's no go and the reason I have not experimented with that type but just curious if anyone has had issues with Fish butts type of tails. I am pretty happy with how both of my real latex/neoprene tails have turned out and though I haven't been able to compare a lot of other types of tails in depth, mine are much lighter than others. Both of my latex tails only weigh 6-8 lbs including the finis monofin in them. The only thing I'm not 100% crazy about is that they don't hug tight around the knees and ankles as tight as my spandex tails do and I know all 'realistic' type tails have this same issue but I think they should be better so I'm trying to find out as much info as I can to perfect this design so that it is:
durable, realistic, available in custom colors, hugs to the body, has texture but still lightweight (under 10 lbs)

any help is appreciated so I can help the community and give back by being another custom tail maker !
I know there are some awesome ones out there already and I VERY MUCH admire and give tons of RESPECT to the tail makers before me who have paved the way but what I see happening is an increase in popularity of tails and not enough tail makers to meet the demand for tails in a timely reasonable manner (too many great tail makers are getting swamped and too many people are left to dry ! ;) waiting months/years for tails

Thanks everyone !

Mermaid Citrine

Actually she did have a lot of trouble with the latex tails breaking down and separating. That is why she does everything in dragon skin silicone now.

Mermaid Citrine
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh really Sephina ? Thanks....though when you say latex, I heard she/Fishbutts was using some type of clear window caulking over neoprin/spacer.....

I'm trying to avoid getting into silicone and mold making because that will drive the price up a lot ...but perhaps that is the way to go after spandex tails,
hmmm much to think about/still research

thanks