PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Convention Ideas and Suggestions

Ariadne
08-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Okay everymer! Here is a thread to post your suggestions for an ideal merconvention. Please respond with any ideas and recommendations for a con you would be happy to attend. Pageant or no pageant? Excursions? Panels? If you would rather not post publicly, PM me and I will post on your behalf.

I'll start (this is from reading through previous complaints and suggestions):

1. Every mer would receive the same treatment and privileges - no awards, no red carpet, no VIP sections, no cliques, no special perks for knowing so-and-so personally. In short, every mer would be treated special because we all are.

2. Schedule would be clearly thought out and definite. Signage would be marked clearly, ads would be posted, events would still occur even if there are unforseen circumstances. Wrist bands or tags would make it clear who is attending. Security would be stationed at all ballroom doors to prevent theft.

3. Host hotel would be accomodating and include an indoor/outdoor pool area in case of inclement weather. Approved excursions would be announced to everymer - no one would be left out.

Thoughts?

WavyMermaidy
08-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Ariadne.

I haven’t had the pleasure of attending any conventions aside from this year’s and last year’s Merpalooza, so I can only base what I think is conceivable and what I’d like to see on those experiences.

I think what you’ve got listed so far is great!

For me the big thing is organization…signage at the event, defined areas JUST for attendees so the ticket purchases aren’t a waste, clear schedules posted AT LEAST a week beforehand on the website.

Also in that vein, I felt this year’s MerPalooza online presence was quite confusing…I lost track of how many Facebook pages there were (a page, an event, at least one group, etc)…and I got a bit of different information from each. Also it was posted that there were no tickets sold at the door, but I got a response via private message from a person associated with Mertailor after he signed on to sponsor (not someone I knew personally but I knew who this person was) that they WOULD be selling tickets at the door for about $5 higher than presale. Never saw that officially posted anywhere on any of the FB pages or site.

So basically one website and one FB page OR event would be preferable in my opinion, and keep all the facts the same across the board.

Facility: This year’s event was in a great place location-wise (right on Tampa Bay), but the facility itself was (I felt) not appropriate for the event as far as size, space, and security. Having it split into two small rooms felt cramped, and there ended up being no space for speakers. There were at least 5 ways to get into the pool area (out one of the rooms, from the restaurant hostess area, from the restaurant deck, from the enclosed breezeway thing between the restaurant and hotel lobby, and from another part of the hotel) so no way to block anybody not in the convention from being there during the party. Last year’s pool had one entrance but it didn’t seem to be monitored either from what I could tell.

One large space, or one large room for vendors and one room or space for speakers/workshops would be excellent. Define who is in what room and when. You gotta have a big pool for a lot of mers, so that’s definitely important…but one that you can close off to other guests during the party. Only people who paid to get in…otherwise it’s just not at all fair to those that did spend for the tickets to be there.

I gotta say, last year’s venue in Orlando was much better as far as space and size of both the pool and the inside area.

Speakers and Workshops: I enjoy the trade show with all the tails and jewelry and clothing, etc., but I would love to have more speakers and/or panels and workshops on all 2-3 days. I want to hear from people, learn how to do things or make things, etc. They had a breath-holding workshop at this one which was a great idea…but unfortunately that was one that didn’t have signage or consistent info on where it was located, so just a few people found it.

Excursions are a nice option too …would be nice to have an excursion to a nearby beach or spring where everyone could swim together in something other than a pool. This year had an excursion to Weeki Wachee, which was really cool especially for people who had never been there, and a wonderful idea…but you can’t swim in a tail there. I heard here and there about other excursions, photo opportunities, music videos (?) but since nothing was organized it was hard to tell who was doing what and where. I think it was that way last year too... Plus this year I really wanted to do the breath hold workshop, so that was it for Sunday for me b/c at that point it was like someone went *poof* and everyone was GONE.

But if the facility has a big enough pool or is right on a beach or a lake or something then you wouldn’t necessarily need excursions. It’s just, well, with that many people swimming around a pool with glitter and makeup and who knows what else, the pool got gross and cloudy quickly this year.

Those are the main things that I want to see in a convention. Perhaps this is “obvious” stuff but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to reiterate it…you ever notice the lack of common sense and logic in people in general these days. Sheesh.

As for the pageant, I could take it or leave it…I haven’t been involved either year, and mostly I just like to see the tails…so maybe a tail show would be better…something that doesn’t involve having to pay to be part of it. Just chuck on your tail and show it off…you can still have an announcer say the person’s name, who made the tail, etc…but make it something for everyone. I know the pageant is open to everyone technically, and they were good about saying they wanted lots of people, different shapes and sizes, etc., but I didn’t want to have to pay another 40 dollars to do it.

As for the party, it’s ok and I think it’s the highlight of the weekend for many people. I don’t have too many suggestions…I’m not a big partier partly b/c I don’t drink (not against drinking, just don’t personally like the taste or effects for the most part). This year I ended up not staying late at the party. Last year there was some good entertainment early on at the party (fire breathing, hula hooping, etc). Either way I think it just feels like a rip off if you’ve paid to get in and there’s a bunch of random people there not associated with the convention and no way to organize it. And face it…for a pool party with that many people, you NEED a nice big pool.

Also there was a lot of fuss this year in filming for various things (a tv pilot, local news media, etc) as well as having a modeling group there to take portfolio photos…so lots of cameras around and not sure who was filming what for whom and why. Just more seemingly random people around in general.

And you know, I guess this list is going to be different for everyone…personally, I am not one to like to be in the spotlight, doing pageants and red carpets and parties and have to be out in front of the cameras, etc…but I know a lot of folks in our community do, and that’s great! But we definitely need to find some balance to please as many people as possible. But if we’re going to have a big party and pageant and filming and all that, we need the appropriate space and size to accommodate it…and you have to have the speakers and panels and workshops and other things for people that aren’t necessarily into that more outgoing stuff but want to be involved nonetheless.

**Sorry this post is so long...I can't help it, it's just the way I write. :)

Miyu
08-17-2013, 06:07 PM
I've been to a few festivals and conventions that gave me some ideas for a future mer-convention, maybe they will be helpful...

Ticket sales: My best experiences buying tickets have been with events that sell mainly online tickets, with a predetermined amount being available at a few local shops. This is a good way to track how many wristbands you will need. Some cons also have a limited amount of tickets at the door for a higher fee, but I've never been to a festival (other than renfaire) that sells tickets at the door. It's way way easier to keep track of how many you're selling and how many wristbands to order. Ordering online, especially through the "official" page (if tickets are also being sold through various ticketmasters), for some cons will get you door prizes and the like. One of my favorite things was at a sci-fi con, anyone who bought tickets online could have a go at the "free stuff" room - basically a place where a lot of sponsors and artists and the like would bring overstock posters, really old Star Trek tapes, wtc, and lay it all out on tables.

Venue: Somewhere with multiple pools would be ideal, so that "regular" hotel guests can still use a pool, and ours can just be "cordoned off" for the lenght of the event. Staff the pool area with a few extra security guys/mertenders so mers can be there whenever we want and feel safe that if we need help there's plenty of mer-friendly people around. We do also need somewhere with around 5 larger rooms we can set up in.

Web presence: I do think all the FB stuff needs to be condensed to ONE page. I understand that if you have more pages/events/etc. you get more views... but the info can be spread so thin that you lose patrons because it's too hard to get all the info. I had this problem with my Steampunk Ball last year while the other (more experienced) promoter was running the web stuff... I was running back and forth between pages trying to get all the info to everyone, PMing day and night... until she finally decided to let me handle the web presence because I'm always home all day (I work from home), then it got concise and we ended up having a much better turn-out than we were going to with all the confusion :P

Scheduling: It needs to happen, there need to be programs, signs, and lots of arrows. Also, ADVANCE NOTICE of all the events is needed, so a comprehensive schedule can be formed early and also so we can get feedback within the community about which events which people are interested in so that we can schedule multiple events at roughly the same time and everyone can still go to all the ones they wanted to see without having to give up on all of the other events, such as WavyMermaidy's Sunday.

Equality: Every mer is equal, it doesn't matter your size, shape, or who made your tail. No VIP, nothing like that. I do think that people who put in a good deal of time and effort to make it work should at least get a discount or an extra "goody" or something. There should be at least one or two inclusive excursions, if mers want to spend their vacation time doing other things, that's up to them, but I would like to see a few fun shoots that aren't just in the hotel pool.

Pageant: Alright, I have opinions about the pageant, so please don't hate me because of what I say. If you're in the pageants/have won, please don't take this as attacking you. I think the pageant is a great thing to boost some mers' self-esteem, and is also a good way to get recognized in the community, but I think it needs to be done a little differently. Why do the Queen and King just get to be whoever looks best? It seems like if you've got the best tail/figure, you win (in some of these things). I'm all for that for the kids, but why not do it more like an anime con? Have a talent or an act, vote on contribution to the community/world (such as conservation efforts, etc.) instead of how pretty you are, and if you're going to do a "ooh pretty tailz" pageant, make it more like a costume contest, having the contestants make their outfits/tails, not just their bra. I think a lot of the mer-pageants are kind of like just wanting pretty girls in expensive tails, and not everyone can afford an epic, one-of-a-kind silicone tail. Maybe have different categories for type of tail, if it's homemade or bought... these are things that regular, successful cons with these types of competitions do. HOWEVER, the Queen and King should NOT be judged simply on looks alone, that's what the pageant/costume contest is for. Royalty should be based on more than looks, it should be based on contribution, effort, and general likeability by the community. You don't vote Prom Queen and King based on how pretty their dress is... And there should be the whole court - after all, cons are just Prom for nerds. :)

Party: I'm all for the adults-only party, but what about having a "dance"/masquerade/whatever like anime/sci-fi cons have as well? Not everyone's idea of a party is sitting in a bar getting liquored up, and having a not-boozy party would be fun for both the kids and those of us who like to do something other than drink to have fun :P

"Random Folks": Like I said before, there should be security, as there is in an anime/sci-fi con. There are usually dudes at every door to an "event" room,checking wristbands/ID badges to prevent other hotel guests/random people who just walk in to the venue from getting the convention experience for free. Photographers want to take pictures? They gotta pay for a ticket AND apply for a press pass. Random people want pictures? They can ask nicely when they get the polite chance to. I also think that outside "modelling shoots" need to be just that - outside. A mer-convention is for the community, not for everyone who just wants the "ooh pretty tailz" stuff. "Fun modelling shoot outings" can be done without getting all up in our stuff; Florida is full of beautiful places to take photos without having to crash someone else's event to do it. I've never seen a bunch of models show up to a sci-fi convention to take pictures among all us nerds there, nor at renfaire; I'm fairly certain most cons would say NO to someone event-crashing, which is pretty much what I think was going on with all the random folks at Merpalooza this year - I see more photographers and random people in the pics than I do mermaids. The only event I've been to with plenty of models and photographers was Burning Man, and everyone has to pay for the ticket, supply themselves to survive in the desert as long as they're planning on staying, AND photographers have to sign up for a press pass. We're mermaids; we don't need to "work with" outside, totally not-related groups to "get better exposure". We have tails, we don't need models or whatever to boost our recognition. If people want to shoot music videos/movies/what the heck ever near a bunch of mermaids, then do it at a nearby location, let the event organizers know about it, so they can let all the attendees know that it's going on if they wish to join. But whoever's doing stuff like that should think about maybe setting out some refreshments for us mer-folk, haha :D

Wristbands VS Badges: I personally prefer badges of the type you get at other cons - the laminated rectangle on a lanyard. They're a good opportunity to showcase artwork from mers in the community, they're collectable, less of them end up in the trash than wristbands, and if you buy tickets online, your badge can even be personalized with your Mer-name! Laminating means they can go in the pool; folks who don't want to wear the lanyard can do what most cosplayers I know do and pin their badge to their clothing somewhere.

Anyways, these are just my ideas. I'm excited to see what other mers think, and I look forward to a more well-planned event next year! :)

Mermaid Momo
08-19-2013, 10:36 AM
You hit everything I was going to say on the head Moonlight! But if I come up with more things. I'll be sure to post. Oh! 1 quick thing first, Do you have to pay to go swimming at the pool? or was it only for the party?

PearlieMae
08-19-2013, 11:08 AM
@Ariadne
Brava for starting this!

Ariadne
08-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks hon! The responses so far have been brilliant - obviously EVERY recommendation would be impossible to pull off...mostly because of funding. Hotels charge tons for their ballrooms and meeting rooms, so the more rooms and perks we want, the more the entry fee has to be. So basically we have to choose - lots of perks with higher ticket prices or lower fees with not so many perks? Which makes me think of a few more questions:

1. Time of year? I have heard June may be best for most folks.

2. Ideas for panels? I like the idea of breath-holding and how to do children's parties.

What do ya'll think? Keep the great ideas coming! xoxo

PearlieMae
08-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, I can't do June because I am in the Coney Island Mermaid Parade every year. :(

Ariadne
08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Another mer suggested not in the summer because rates always go up - but can many of us do a spring event? Not sure about how popular that would be because of work and school...

PearlieMae
08-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Same would apply to Autumn, too. Off season somewhere warm would be great.

Also, I know many people have tight budgets. What would be the average affordable price for a 2 or 3 day event?

Ariadne
08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
From what I can tell, conventions can range from anywhere from $40 to $150, depending on location and number of days. I think I would want to receive a keepsake with my entry fee, like a tshirt or something, and for that I would be willing to pay a little more, maybe $50-60 for a 2 1/2 day. That being said, I would have been severely put out to have paid for a 3-day event that ended up a 1 1/2 day event. Just saying.

PearlieMae
08-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Sponsor-filled goodie bags are always a welcome plus for those who register for the entire event. Sponsors pay to be in the goodie bag and event directory and get a discount on ads, non-sponsored directory advertising is additional. (I don't want to compare everything with Merpalooza, but did they have an event directory?)

If you pay for the entire event, you get a discounted rate over one-day passes (which should be offered to those who can't attend the entire event). Early registration gets as discount as well. On-site day-of registration is the most expensive rate. Obviously, early registration is pushed hard so those funds can be used towards the event costs.

Also, EVENT VOLUNTEERS are vital, and a Volunteer Coordinator would be needed to corral and direct them.

Sorry if my posts are disjointed. I'm at work and supposed to be doing other stuff. ;)

Ariadne
08-19-2013, 01:28 PM
lol - I know, at this rate, I'll never get any editing done! But isn't mer stuff so much more fun?

AniaR
08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
there has to be more than a trade show and a swim.

1) Panels. Either have one with some big name people on it, or have several that specialize in certain areas. A tail making panel. An underwater panel. A performing panel etc. I'd love to see someone like Greg Ampton talk about underwater modelling and photography, see Linden talk about free diving and breath holding, see any tail maker willing to answer *some* questions (I don't expect them to give away trade secrets), have an author, have someone associated with the mermaid tv shows or movies- like we should be trying to get h20 people or feature the people who worked on splash etc get a weeki mermaid

2) planning needs to start now, get a board of directors together, people who are willing to chip in on finance to get the ball rolling, and obviously get paid back by the end. Then you can get sponsors- actual sponsors, hire staff, and have volunteers who get perks. You don't need big name tail makers for all the sponsorship. Local media will give it to you, local stores, local businesses.

3) organized outings and photoshoots

4) movie showing. If there isn't a special screening to be had, then go with the classic. Buy the license to screen splash and the little mermaid for fun some morning while people eat breakfast or something

5) look at all avenues of mermaiding. People care about working with kids, they care about the environment, they care about business development. Not just celeb mers and tail makers or buying stuff. Try and have guests speakers on that stuff, invite related organizations to be vendors (like glass straws, local marine wildlife rescue, etc)

6) workshops, on actual skills, people use to be a professional mermaid. Get Kariel to do a monofin workshop (she runs fins to fitness), get Michi to do a fabric tail workshop (she's done them before I believe) I could do one on working with kids etc.

7) have press releases and kits ahead of time so media will know when to be there, and you can have some semblance of control over how they portray the community.

Mermaid Myu
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Package - There's been a lot of people in this thread saying that equality is important to them, but in the case of small niche conventions like this one, there's a lot to be said for having a VIP ticketing package available. It wouldn't be based on who is most famous or beautiful, but simply on who chooses to pay an extra $30-$50 for upgraded admission. Perks for con VIPs often involve early access to dealers rooms, priority seating for panels and a special "con suite" with things like small snacks and bottles of water. It's a great way to draw in extra money for cons that normally have low to moderate attendance, and the fact that it has nothing to do with your status in the community makes is stomach-able for most people.

Photography -Everyone loves a quality photo of themselves and this is also another great money-making enterprise for a con. Consider hiring a professional underwater photographer for the convention and have them spend their entire days at the hotel pool. Mers can shell out (get it?) some reasonable amount of money for something they would have an extremely hard time getting elsewhere: a professional photograph of themself swimming in their favorite tail. Photographers will often either work for a percentage of profit, or will give the con discounted daily rates due to the fact that they are building up clientele and putting their name out into new circles.

Love everyone else's suggestions! Especially Raina's ideas for panels.

Mermaid Octavia
08-22-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't know if this would help, but a photo booth/enclosed and decorated area for photos would be super cool. That way, if photographers can't be arranged for outings, mers can plop themselves in the booth for quick and fun photos. :)

AniaR
08-22-2013, 07:00 PM
the problem with vIP package is the first mercon charged an exorbitant amount of money, and then DIDN'T pay Hannah Fraser and the others involved in the VIP section :( So I'm not sure it could actually attract VIPs after that. Maybe not for a few years of no complaints maybe

Mermaid Lorelei
08-22-2013, 07:37 PM
I definitely agree with the points listed by everyone. There's a bit I would add though.

1. Panels are a must for me. Sure, people go for the costumes and the celebrities, but I know that a large portion of con-goers (no matter the genre) go for the panels. I would add jewelry making for sure, maybe even a demonstration on making tops. Health wouldn't be bad either, such as tips on keeping yourself from cramping, becoming dehydrated, how to care for fin-foot (monofin blisters and such). A tail care panel. Things that would help a mermaid be a better mermaid, basically.

2. I think that convention passes are best handled as badges, either on a lanyard or not. They are laminated (and thus waterproof), collectible, and can easily be used as an art contest. It also makes it very easily, and quick, to tell if someone is in an area they shouldn't be.

3. Multiple pools. Especially have a pool where the media is not allowed. Sometimes people want to swim without being swarmed by cameras. :>

4. Movie time! Lots of mers found their love by watching mermaid films. Having a set panel time for movies is common at large conventions and it's a great way to bring people together. Heck, you could even host a 'swim-in' movie with a large projector outside of the pool.

I'll probably think of other stuff, but these are the one's that came to mind.

Stephanie Sims
08-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Thank you guys. Implementing these for future Gatherings.