PDA

View Full Version : Spirit gum issues (alternative to SG?)

Winged Mermaid
09-02-2011, 05:18 PM
For the WMAs I used spirit gum for the first time. I used it to put half pearls on the inside and outside corners of my eyes. However by the end of the night I found my skin was burning and red. It calmed down a little over night. When I re-applied the next day just putting it on really burned. I know I shouldn't have kept on with it, but it was pain for beauty kind of thing at that point :p After that it was red and sensitive for several days.

Basically it gave me a mild chemical burn. I have the Mehron Spirit Gum (like so (http://www.mooncostumes.com/item/6242)), so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Also the pearls didn't stay on too well in the water. It says on the directions to apply to the skin, wait until tacky, then apply whatever it is you want to apply and press firmly. Is this correct?

I am clearly a Spirit Gum noob! Any tips, advice, ect? Also, would there be a better alternative to spirit gum for adhering things around the eye area?

mermaid hannah
09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
eyelash glue! works for me!

taom
09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Oooh, what a good idea! I have never thought about using that!

themightymanatee
09-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah I wouldn't use spirit gum for applications so close to the eyes. It can be a skin irritant and cause allergic reactions for some people. (which sounds like is the case for you.) Not to mention spirit gum remover.

An idea might be to look up products used for making/applying prosthetics (for theater,etc) and see if there are any brands that won't be an irritant to your skin and waterproof. I'd imagine they'd exist somewhere. Something like liquid latex, I would imagine. Also test any product on your hand first, in case you DO have a reaction it won't be near your eye.

Alveric
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
John Reese Davies, who played Gimli in The Lord of the Rings movies, had severe reactions to the prostheses worn around his eyes for that movie. It was spirit gum I think.

Alveric

themightymanatee
09-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Actually what he had, iirc, was a latex allergy. He decided to work through it though and it really took a toll on his face by the end of filming. But yeah, this is why you always test products beforehand. :)

Mermaid Star
09-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah I would use eye lash glue since it is safe for around the eyes. But if you are looking for something that is water proof other than spirit gum then I would go with Pros-Aide.

From the Pros-Aid website.

"Pros-AideŽ is specifically formulated for sensitive skin and is non-irritating. All Pros-AideŽ products are water-based and completely safe. When dry, Pros-AideŽ adhesive gives absolute waterproof bonds to all skin surfaces – the kind of adhesion that is required with medical prosthetic applications and the demanding needs of professional special effects make-up artists." "
The “original” water-based adhesive for the skin. It adheres for long periods without irritation. Pros-AideŽ is the leading adhesive used for medical prosthetic applications. (http://www.pros-aide.com/original.htm)Pros-AideŽ is the standard in the industry for adhering appliances and other make-up components to skin. It is safe to use on all skin including sensitive areas. It gives a strong bond and has high water resistance. It is non-toxic and completely safe.
Pros-AideŽ is the base for PAX Paint™ – a combination of water-based colors with Pros-AideŽ. PAX Paint™ is a flexible color with high bond strengths used for the skin and many surfaces."

Selene
09-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Oooh no sweetie! :( Definitely sounds like you had a reaction. It's sadly extremely common with spirit gum. Star has beat me to the punch, next stop would be Pros-Aid or Duo depending on weight. I would lean more towards Duo personally. Easily picked up in the US at beauty supply stores, wal-mart if I'm remembering correctly, MAC, and a lot of other stores.

Quick general note on spirit gum: When using spirit gum, using a tapping motion to help it really tack up. Please do not use it around your eyes. I generally suggest Duo Adhesive (unless you have a latex allergy of course. Even so, it's really gentle) for sticking anything around the eye area or on the body that doesn't require heavy duty adhesion.

Quick general note on Pros-aide: Pros-aide is not activated until it is fully dry. It's a milky colour that dries clear (unless you're working with PAX of course). Once it's clear, it's sticky and ready to bond. I mention this because I've had a lot emails from people who keep adding more and more and end up tearing their hair out because "it's not working" ;)