PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free makeup?

Aziara
08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
At first I wasn't going to worry about makeup in the water, but I figure if I'll be performing, I should look my best. Does anyone know of any mermaid-proof gluten free makeup lines? You might be saying 'wait, there's wheat in makeup?'. Oh yes, you'd be surprised. Vitamin E is the worst, it's in everything and it's made from wheat germ oil.

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Oh gosh, man, I don't wear makeup but as someone with celiac now if I ever do I'll have to worry about this. D:

Aziara
08-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I find it pretty tough to shop for makeup. I have to order everything online. I did sign up for the Gluten Free Makeup Gal newsletter that says which brands are safe, but all of them are rather... delicate when it comes to water. I ran through a rainstorm once, and even though I had an umbrella, just the upsplash turned my mascara and eyeliner into messy raccoon eyes :( I literally remove my makeup with simply rinsing my face with clear water, poof all gone.

Aziara
08-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, I just sent off a message to Mermaid Minerals asking if the vitamin E used in their products is wheat germ oil. Not holding my breath, I've tried contacting them before with no reply. I did get a reply back from sending a question about 'mermaid proof' makeup to the Gluten Free Makeup Gal, she said this:
That's a really good question. To be honest, the only one I can think of is Illuminaré (http://www.glutenfreemakeupgal.com/product-review/gluten-free-liquid-foundation-illuminare), but just for foundation. I don't think their eyeliner would stand up to actual wetness for very long, but then again it might! I've never tried it under copious amounts of water, but it could be worth a try.

Most gluten free makeup is naturally formulated, which tends to not be very good for longevity under water. Other than Illuminaré, I can't think of anything else that could be really waterproof...

How sensitive to topical gluten are you? Maybe you could possibly still use NARS, at least for your performances? They don't use any gluten in their products- or so they say. It's cross-contamination that's the issue. So it's not safe, but it's closer to safe than your average makeup.

I will keep looking! But for now, I'm terribly sorry I don't have better news...
Lovin' Life Gluten Free,
~ Afton Jones So....sigh

Sephina
08-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Have you tried getting a sealer/water proofer for make-up? I use Ben Nye's waterproof sealer and it seems to hold up really well.

Aziara
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, Ben Nye refuses to disclose ingredients... So I don't use them. If there's a waterproof sealer that does disclose ingredients, I might give it a try (sorry if I seem paranoid. I get just the tiniest bit of the wrong thing on or in me, and I'm sick for a full week). How sturdy is the makeup you applied under the sealer?

Aziara
08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I think I might have found something! http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-waterproof-wonders?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=waterproof%20cosmetics&utm_campaign=NEW%20|%20Products%20-%20Broad&utm_content=Waterproof%20Cosmetics Has anyone tried this brand before? Hmm.... it does still contain 'tocopheryl' (vitamin E, why must you be in everything?!). I'm going to try contacting the company.

Anahita
08-21-2013, 11:20 PM
I think I might have found something! http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-waterproof-wonders?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=waterproof%20cosmetics&utm_campaign=NEW%20|%20Products%20-%20Broad&utm_content=Waterproof%20Cosmetics Has anyone tried this brand before? Hmm.... it does still contain 'tocopheryl' (vitamin E, why must you be in everything?!). I'm going to try contacting the company.

I LOOOOOOVE tarte. My favorite lipstick comes from them.... It was a purchase on a whim, but it was a good one! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's ok for you to use!

Aziara
08-23-2013, 11:03 AM
So I got a response back, only to ask me which products I wanted to know about....grr... I hate dealing with companies. Seriously? I want to know if your makeup is safe--all of it! I'm pretty sure there don't buy their tocopheryl from several sources. Anyway, I said I was interested in the waterproof line, hopefully whoever answers emails isn't feeling lazy again... :headwall:

Mermaid Myu
08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
There are plenty of brands of makeup sealer out there and it doesn't look like all of them use Vitamin E or other gluten-containing products. How about this one? http://modelinabottle.com/shop/original-setting-spray/

Aziara
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Hmm! That model in a bottle stuff just might work. I'll give it a try if I can't get straight answers out of Tarte.

Aziara
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Would you believe Tarte did it to me AGAIN?! "The vitamin E source in the waterproof collection is tocopherol and maracuja oil." No shit, Sherlock! I know it's tocopherol, that just means it's vitamin E! Grrrr!!! I'm starting to think it is wheat-based, and they don't want to lose a sale by telling me so.

MerEmma
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Ugh, I have the same issue when I'm dealing with soy lecithin/caramel color in foods. -___-

Mermaid Tula
08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I have the Benefit 15 hour primer. As far as I know it's gluten free, and it makes your foundation waterproof for the most part. I wore makeup on one of the hottest days here and sweated bullets and my makeup didn't budge at all, even when patted dry with a paper towel. No smudges at all.

Aziara
08-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Well, I just sent a third and I've decided final email to Tarte. I made it very clear that I would not buy from them unless I can get a straight answer. Thanks for the suggestion, Comatose Angel, but I found tocopherols sneaking about in the ingredient listing of the Benefit 15 hour primer... I really don't feel like tackling another unhelpful company at the moment... *sigh*

Aziara
09-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Well, I have good news! I ordered some foundation samples from Illuminare, found my perfect color, and man does that stuff stick! I wasn't able to go swimming in it (I don't have a pool), but it remained through multiple rinsings with both cold and hot water without coming off at all. I also found that 24 Hour color tattoo by Maybelline doesn't have anything I can't handle either, so I got some of that for my eyes. Now I just need to find lip stain and blush... I'm looking at this stuff from etsy... I'm actually thinking of trying to make my own since they're so simple https://www.etsy.com/listing/92534415/organic-lip-stain-hibiscus-red-vegan?ref=favs_view_19 https://www.etsy.com/listing/71486699/organic-cheek-stain-beet-red-vegan?ref=shop_home_active Oh! And Tarte finally told me their tocopherol is synthetic, so that's another makeup line I can consider.

Anahita
09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Hooray that it's synthetic!

Benjemin
11-19-2023, 05:00 AM
Hey. Among the various brands available, Built Protein Bars have become the top choice among fitness enthusiasts, athletes, and health-conscious people. These bars are made from high-quality ingredients and offer numerous benefits, making them a great addition to any diet or fitness routine. You can read about all the benefits of these bars on the company’s website, and you can also contact built protein bars customer service (https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/built-protein-bars/customer-service.html) and they will provide high-quality advice on their products.