PDA

View Full Version : Video of Mertailor's new mer monofin

Mermaid Oshun
08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B6IRfQe6EZ4

Mermaid Danielle
08-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Looks nice, but I'm wondering how heavy it is. It definitely looks like a workout to swim with!

PearlieMae
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
It has a lovely flow, but it looks like more drag than propulsion - looks too soft.

Might be nice to use as a base for a custom fluke...I wonder if silicone will stick to it? :thinks:

Echidna
08-20-2013, 03:51 PM
It has a lovely flow, but it looks like more drag than propulsion - looks too soft.

this.
Lovely design, but nothing you couldn't put together yourself using some rubber and paint ;D

Firemaid
08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
It's cute!
I can make this, but better. Super easy.
Anyone know how much he is charging?
It looks like about $100 worth of silicon..

MerEmma
08-20-2013, 07:20 PM
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6021-NEW-SKINS-by-Mertailor

$795 for the full tail, another $100 for custom coloring and I don't know about just the fin. Just watch his FB I guess.

Abyssalmer
08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
OMG! I saw this on his page! It looks so cool! I want one so bad! He's bookin' it in the video! And the motion it makes is so realistic! I want one sooooo baaaaaadddddddddd! >:S :)

deepblue
08-20-2013, 09:53 PM
It looks like a LOT of physical labor to move in it, as Pearlie Mae said, more drag than not- perhaps because it's so floppy. It's good that he has the words 'amazing aerobic workout' on the video, because it looks like it.

Abyssalmer
08-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I just emailed the mertailor asking for more information on the mermaid fin thingy! So hopefully I'll have some details to share in the morning!

Mermaid Octavia
08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
It's very pretty in the water but I would love to see some real reviews on it! It does look like you don't get much in the way of propulsion in the water though. :/

Anahita
08-21-2013, 06:32 PM
I like that there's a new mermaid fluke shape on the market, and that this one is less "girly" so the guys have something to choose from... But I'm not all that fond of how it moves in the water. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like, because of its floppiness, that it "hangs" in the water. Like, he's moving his kick upwards, but the tips of the fluke are still curled up like when his kick was traveling down, then the fluke tips sort of just flop over... It does, however, look AWESOME when he turns in it.... But I don't swim exclusively in twists so..

Meh, what am I speculating about? I'm totally biased in favor of fiberglass monofins, so it's probably not fair for me to make a judgement call.

AniaR
08-21-2013, 07:46 PM
lol so funny reading this knowing Abysmalmer was a fake account :p (not the first time that was done to promote his work either)

Anahita I'm with you, I prefer stiffer monofin, but my sister prefers flowy. That's why she wears my mermaidcreations tail. I can't swim in it because I can't get any kick, meanwhile she cruises!

Also firemaid, I LOVE YOUR PIC YOUR TAIL LOOKS AMAZING

Anahita
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Ah yeah, I can totally see why you have her wear it then. We can't have sitting duck mermaids! :)

I actually don't have a problem with floppy fins as far as being able to swim goes.... But I'm a dork, like, major, and I like to swim REAL fast and jump, and floppy fins just don't let me do that. Which is sad, because they're so damn pretty and I want one so bad and.... :( I'm also terrified of the ocean, even though I swim in it all the time and have always lived relatively close to one, so in order to combat that fear, I stick with fiberglass...

Actually, I should rephrase that, I'm terrified of being swept out into open water by a strong current when I swim in the ocean, so I try to combat that fear by having the fiberglass monofin. California can be a tricky place to swim, and I nearly drowned in Iran (though something tells me that's more to do with the fact that I was not allowed to wear a f*cking bathing suit to the beach than swimming in the ocean itself.) so those weird situations are always in the back of my head when I'm not in a controlled environment... The fiberglass is like my security blanket of sorts, if that makes sense.