View Full Version : Please Read This

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
THIS IS A LONG THREAD!!!
There are all sorts of mers. Big mers, little mers, mermaids,mermen,merlings,mers who like blue, mers who like pink, and mers who like both. And with so many mers all in one place, there is bound to be differences of opinion. :lol: (Please exude the random laughing face; I put it there because I almost typed onion instead of opinion lol).
Anyways, some mers may like this tail maker and some mers may like that tail maker. Maybe some mers don't like either. But my point is that we're all different so we have different opinions. And lately I think we're forgetting that we all have something in common. We are part of this community for our love of mers.
When another mer has a difference of opinion, you have to respect that. For example I can't say that I dislike someone or reply to their post in a way that might offend them because of a difference in our opinions. And if I have to anyone I'm sorry.
I'm posting this because a lot of drama had been erupting. And it weird because when I read it I start to feel upset and I almost feel like; "what is going on here? Do I really want to be part of this?" I'm almost afraid to comment or post a thread because I feel like I might upset someone with a different opinion. And I realize it's bound to happen because we're all different.
But maybe before you post something you'll remember this thread and realize that we have different opinions and to respect that before you go on a rant. This isn't to any specific mer or anyone. I love you all and you're each wonderful in your own way. I just thought posting a thread like this might show a bigger picture. And in the comments (optional) you can pick a random mer and *hug* them. Just to keep the love going.

Love, Cascada. Oh, I also go by Kimmie. Just don't call me goat cheese. :) You can also call me Cas or Mac n cheese because that's a favorite food of mine. Wow I have a lot of nicknames. I feel so nervous posting this thread. Now Im babbling on about random things... Lol

Arella
08-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I completely agree with you I wish people would just try a little harder to get along :)

Merman Arion
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree with you too. We shouldn't be afraid to post or say something just because it might upset some people.

Communication is the key. We can't expect to get along if we can't be true to ourselves.

Echidna
08-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I agree with you too. We shouldn't be afraid to post or say something just because it might upset some people.

Communication is the key. We can't expect to get along if we can't be true to ourselves.

Wonderfully said.

Also, Cascada, please don't mistake normal heated discussion with intentionally created drama.

It's a sad fact of internet life some people will, instead of openly stating their thoughts, make a new "anonymous" account, and then proceed to diss everyone they don't like under their assumed cover of anonymity, and try to sow discord.

I've seen this happen everywhere, it's sad, and pathetic, and really cannot be helped,
because making a new account is fast and easy.

Don't let this alienate you, this site is chock-full of nice people, and great info.
*hug*

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Wonderfully said.

Also, Cascada, please don't mistake normal heated discussion with intentionally created drama.

It's a sad fact of internet life some people will, instead of openly stating their thoughts, make a new "anonymous" account, and then proceed to diss everyone they don't like under their assumed cover of anonymity, and try to sow discord.

I've seen this happen everywhere, it's sad, and pathetic, and really cannot be helped,
because making a new account is fast and easy.

Don't let this alienate you, this site is chock-full of nice people, and great info.
*hug*
*hug* ^.^ you're right. It's hard to tell If it's drama or just a heated discussion sometimes. I guess the best way to tell is if your sharing your different opinions= probably a heated discussion. But when you start insulting someone in the process or spreading drama purposely and false info then it's most likely drama. Idk maybe some people like the chaos.

Mermaid Oshun
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree with you Cascada and observing people for 50 years I agree that some people do love chaos. However, I came here to get away from all of that. So I very much agree with your idea that we should try to minimize the silly discussions of "Oh I love this tail maker yours sucks" etc ad nauseum. I think you and I can fully appreciate that Cascada because we both make our own creations so we're not about to become sheep lured to worship in any camp.

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree with you Cascada and observing people for 50 years I agree that some people do love chaos. However, I came here to get away from all of that. So I very much agree with your idea that we should try to minimize the silly discussions of "Oh I love this tail maker yours sucks" etc ad nauseum. I think you and I can fully appreciate that Cascada because we both make our own creations so we're not about to become sheep lured to worship in any camp.
Very well said *hug*

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

^.^ *hug*

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
I completely agree with you I wish people would just try a little harder to get along :)
Yeah, it's not hard to be nice. I think it's a lot harder to be mean. *hug*

PearlieMae
08-21-2013, 11:32 AM
A lot is lost in text, as well... sometimes you read something and it gets taken the wrong way because you can't hear the tone.

There's a thin line between opinion and snarkiness, sometimes, and I think it's not always easy to tell where that line is. I would hate to see the site turn into a big butt kissing convention, though. I've offered what could be construed as blunt opinions on the quality of a tail or two, but I never lash out at the (mer)people!

Mermaid Varshana
08-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Even in the fantasy that is cyberspace, it is so important to remember that, behind every avatar, is a real person with any combination of: mood swings, ligands, hormones, neurons that misfire, psych meds, meds in general, health issues, mental illnesses, interpersonal issues, religious differences, political differences, moral differences, genetic differences, past abuse, etc etc. Because of that, it's impossible to totally get away from the squirming mass of bullshit that comprises humanity. Varying degrees of it lives in all of us. I think keeping all of this in mind, knowing how to pick our battles, learning to click the back button, and being extra eyes for the moderators will help keep MerNetwork a fun place to be.

Alveric
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
"...the squirming mass of bullshit that comprises humanity."

This is great. Can I steal it? ;)

Mermaid Varshana
08-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Sure, as long as you mention me on your dedication page ;)

AniaR
08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
It's funny, I haven't gotten my way through all the threads yet today but I don't even see them as that dramatic. Just one person kinda kicking up a fuss and everyone else seeing through it. We can't be afraid to talk about stuff on here for fear of being labelled. The forum exists SO we can address issues too. But that being said, I personally feel like the community has worked really hard in the past months to separate personal opinions from friendships etc. I have disagreed with several mers on here about things, and we still get along just fine. I don't think it's an issue of subject mater honestly, I think it's an issue of people understanding they can disagree with someone, and it doesn't have to be an all out name calling war

Echidna
08-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Well said :)

And it's also a sad fact not everyone can love everyone else;
Earth would be a so much cozier place if one could be friends with everyone lol.

But not liking everyone equally, or having different opinions, doesn't mean one cannot be respectful and polite.
And that's not drama.
Drama is when someone goes all over the top and starts to get insulting, leaving the realm of reason behind.

That happens too, but so far I've not seen it often, at least not here. :p

Mermaid~Summer
08-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't like drama but I LOVE CAKE!! Especially chocolate cake! And mermaids/mermen, vampires, zombies, pizza, movies, talking, typing the random things that i enjoy just because I can :D I also <3 the awesome friends that have made and people that I have connected with since I joined this site. :group hug:

Ariadne
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Oooh, you said cake. Caaaaaaake!

Mermaid~Summer
08-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes, yes I did and I'll say it again just for you. Cake ;)

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I like cake! My mom won't let me have any... For reasons I cannot say lol.

Echidna
08-21-2013, 09:39 PM
I like cake! My mom won't let me have any... For reasons I cannot say lol.
:eek: sounds fishy.

Arella
08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Cake?! Where? I like cake...

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
:eek: sounds fishy.
Lol.

Ariadne
08-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Let them eat cake! And by "them" I mean us...let us eat cake!

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
They have cake samples in Sams club all the time. And when you want more than one you crawl on the floor then slowly reach up to the counter and grab a piece. It partially why I'm not allowed to eat cake. But when you want free cake that is what you do. Lol. Don't listen to me Im crazy.

Ariadne
08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Ooo, very strategic cake-snatching. I like it.

Mermaid Cascada
08-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Ooo, very strategic cake-snatching. I like it.
Lol it totally works.

Arella
08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm with you on the whole cake thing.

Anahita
08-21-2013, 10:39 PM
They have cake samples in Sams club all the time. And when you want more than one you crawl on the floor then slowly reach up to the counter and grab a piece. It partially why I'm not allowed to eat cake. But when you want free cake that is what you do. Lol. Don't listen to me Im crazy.

**twiddles thumbs innocently** Well I uh....

I'm terrible, I'll put my glasses on, walk up, take a cake piece, walk away to the next aisle, then take the glasses off, put on my headscarf, and walk up and take another piece. The trick is not bringing the cart around twice, because they might not recognize me, but they'll recognize my dog. Lol

Ashe
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I 10000000000% agree with this post and I'm happy you took the time to put it up :)

Now give me that cake. -_-

Mermaid Varshana
08-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Ever seen Milano cake? Lets share that shit.

Arella
08-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Costco chocolate cake with the chocolate shavings on the side of the cake. Love that shit.

Anahita
08-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Costco chocolate cake with the chocolate shavings on the side of the cake. Love that shit.

YES

Ashe
08-22-2013, 12:20 AM
YOU WANT THIS CAKE????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJddmfesaA)

Anahita
08-22-2013, 12:25 AM
YOU WANT THIS CAKE????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJddmfesaA)

Ok, you win... That was hilarious :D I can't stop laughing, my eyes are watering!

Ashe
08-22-2013, 12:31 AM
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Azurin Luna
08-22-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm more for cookies ;)

I'm a little cookiemonster :o

Miyu
08-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Cake? Someone said cake. That word is dangerous around me, because I have a serious LOST obsession (ok, ok, it has mostly to do with Michael Emerson)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt4FuqkpBAc

But yes, I agree, we are all different, and we need to be a little nicer to each other sometimes, but really what it boils down to is that we have to respect each other's opinions, as well as their art.

((HUGS))

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I guess I'll go eat some cake mix since my mom won't let me have any cooked. I'll put it on my cereal.

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I 10000000000% agree with this post and I'm happy you took the time to put it up :)

Now give me that cake. -_-
Oh...oh my gosh. I want it.... I want that cake and you know what? In pretty sure that cake wants me.

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
**twiddles thumbs innocently** Well I uh....

I'm terrible, I'll put my glasses on, walk up, take a cake piece, walk away to the next aisle, then take the glasses off, put on my headscarf, and walk up and take another piece. The trick is not bringing the cart around twice, because they might not recognize me, but they'll recognize my dog. Lol
Oooh! I'm gonna try that next time!

PearlieMae
08-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Let's all have cake!

MerAnthony
08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
:group hug:(((HUGS))) ALL AROUND. For cake an cookies an just for being yourselves.

MermaidHyli
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html

That is all.

Mermaid Varshana
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Wow. If that were me and my mother, I wouldn't be here to type this right now.

ShyMer
08-22-2013, 11:20 AM
I was waiting for someone to bring up hyperbole and a half. Thank you, hyli.

MermaidHyli
08-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I was waiting for someone to bring up hyperbole and a half. Thank you, hyli.

Just thought it fit nicely. :)

PearlieMae
08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
That was just pure f***ing genius.

:clap:

MerAnthony
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
:jawdrop::rotfl:

Ariadne
08-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Okay, now I am totally drooling over those cakes. I would almost hate to cut into them! Almost...

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 02:43 PM
I'd just say the heck with the prettiness, if it tastes good them I'll eat it lol.

Anahita
08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

That is all.

I feel like I missed out on a piece of childhood.... On the other hand, I'm REALLY glad my parents just let me eat whatever (including raw onions with the skins on... Which apparently was my favorite thing to do when I learned how to open the fridge)

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 06:49 PM

That is all.
Reminds me of what I did to get banned from eating cake by my family.

MermaidHyli
08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Hahaha
I was like her face all distorted going crazy when I had to go try wedding cake...so much...CAKE!

Mermaid Cascada
08-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Lol!

Miyu
08-23-2013, 04:31 AM
HOW have I never found Hyperbole and a Half?!? I've seen the F#*king adult meme, but that's all...

MermaidHyli
08-23-2013, 11:42 AM
HOW have I never found Hyperbole and a Half?!? I've seen the F#*king adult meme, but that's all...

It makes my life enjoyable. You should read the one about the spiders.
Also...SQUID GIRL! I love squid girl. I wish there was a season 3..

cryptomancy
08-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I love where this thread has gone. CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS!!!

And I second (third?) the Squid Girl love! More squid/ocean puns than anyone's brain can possibly hold, it must be good.

Mermaid~Summer
08-23-2013, 09:23 PM
I love how everyone took my initial comment about cake and fraking ran a marathon with it! :D I love this place lol

Echinacea
08-24-2013, 12:13 AM
What about fish cakes, or crab cakes, Cas? Can you eat those?

And being a merhobbit, what about PIE?! Hobbitses LOVE pie! I'm especially partial to key lime and coconut cream.... :)

Mermaid~Summer
08-24-2013, 05:59 AM
What about fish cakes, or crab cakes, Cas? Can you eat those?And being a merhobbit, what about PIE?! Hobbitses LOVE pie! I'm especially partial to key lime and coconut cream.... :)I'm all about the pumpkin pie :D

Mermaid Cascada
08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
What about fish cakes, or crab cakes, Cas? Can you eat those?

And being a merhobbit, what about PIE?! Hobbitses LOVE pie! I'm especially partial to key lime and coconut cream.... :)
I LIKE PIE! I LIKE PIE ALOT! At thanksgiving I hid the lemon merainge (idk how to spell that and my spell check has apparently died) pie until everyone left and then I ate the whole thing in secret.

Mermaid Varshana
08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Ice cream cake with an OCEAN of FUDGE on top O____O

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yuuRgUjdUJw/TcES_pG7RvI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/d3tlvnsQvA0/s1600/icecreamcakes_001.jpg

Anahita
08-24-2013, 04:09 PM
OH MY GOD PIE YES PLEASE.....

I saw this (https://www.getezpockets.com/)on the TV the other day, and all my brain could think of was "I could literally bake a pie and have a different one for every meal". When I told my partner about it, he said "Well, maybe we should get it so you don't make me drive to the grocery store at midnight anymore for pies" (in my defense, I did that ONCE, and it was that time of the month and he had eaten the pie he told me I could have... He's lucky I didn't bite his finger off.)

Alveric
08-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Pie is nature's perfect food, and it's not just for dessert. There's quiche and meat pies as well!

Miyu
08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Some (un)savory and sweet pies for ya... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTOHl9nD6B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_XD7jDwFQ

SeaGlass Siren
09-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Pie!!!!!!!

Mermaid Kelda
09-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I LIKE PIE! I LIKE PIE ALOT! At thanksgiving I hid the lemon merainge (idk how to spell that and my spell check has apparently died) pie until everyone left and then I ate the whole thing in secret.

WillowAnne
09-02-2013, 09:25 PM

AHH! This is hilarious! I teach English, and I always imagine some kind of crazy monster called an "alot"... This is why I chuckle every time a student makes that mistake. Can I use this picture in my classroom? Please? Please? :D

Mermaid Kelda
09-02-2013, 09:29 PM
AHH! This is hilarious! I teach English, and I always imagine some kind of crazy monster called an "alot"... This is why I chuckle every time a student makes that mistake. Can I use this picture in my classroom? Please? Please? :D
Sure, but I didn't come up with the idea, Allie Brosh did (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html) :)

Miyu
09-02-2013, 10:01 PM
*chuckles* I was wondering when more Allie doodles were going to pop up... :P After seeing that entry of hers, I giggle every time I hear someone say "ALOT" LOL