PDA

View Full Version : Vertical monofin

Lotus
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I know somewhere here I saw something about the vertical MF you use with an underwater paddle.... anyone know if they are for sale? Or if you could reorient the blade of a rapid to go vertical?

Echidna
08-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Ah, the vertical fluke.
Maybe they are still sold somewhere, but you will be really slow, and the paddle doesn't exactly make for an elegant appearance.
And I don't think a normal monofin could be reverted, since the footpocket would have to be split up to both sides.

You could make your own though, and put up the feetholders just in the right positions.
I'd be very interested how that works out if you try it!

As for myself, I solve the dilemma by swimming sideways :D
Even considered making a tail with the "back" and "belly" on my sides, and sewing on a big shark fin on top :p

PearlieMae
08-22-2013, 04:23 PM
The way the human spine is built, it is not meant for lateral motion. We have the most flexible spine of all the primates, and like all aquatic mammals, we are built to undulate up and down.

You're just going to hurt yourself trying to swim that way, or at the very least, build up your obliques to the point of looking like you have a spare tire.

But good luck if you pursue it! I'd like to see the video.

Lotus
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Actually this inquiry is for a client who wants a real shark tail. I'm just brain storming.

Echidna
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
ah-ha :) same idea as I had, then.
Tell him that unless he wants to be a super-slow shark that needs hours to get anywhere, swimming dolphin on the side- with the tail fashioned accordingly- is his only feasible option as a human being :p

In case you can't quite imagine what I mean with sideways swimming, in the first half of this short vid I'm swimming on the side, to look more like a snake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2NThu7I_E&feature=youtu.be