PDA

View Full Version : Hands free underwater camera!

Blondie
08-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know if this was ever shared, but I haven't seen it.

Check out this awesome camera that's attached to goggles. It's called the Liquid Image XSC Explorer Series. It goes up to 15 ft in the water. I think it's super cool how the small +'s on the goggle's help you align your shot subject. No worrying if you're catching what you see on camera. And the LED light that tells you if you're taking a picture or video? Genius!

It's something to think about if you're a diver or into snorkeling. Obviously you couldn't film yourself swimming in your tail, BUT you could have a friend come with you and wear it and swim with you with ease! Not a bad idea!

Best part is it's only $99. That's cheaper than most digital cameras out there. Pretty nifty!

http://www.brookstone.com/liquid-image-xsc-explorer-series-8-0mp-underwater-camera-mask?bkiid=World_Landing_Page_Gifts_for_Men_Who_Ha ve_Everything|CategoryWidget|758709p&catId=

http://www.brookstone.com/webassets/product_images/700x700/758709p.jpg

http://www.brookstone.com/webassets/product_images/700x700/758709p_alt1.jpg

http://www.brookstone.com/webassets/product_images/700x700/758709p_alt2.jpg

AniaR
08-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I've seen them before but not sure how great they are. Might be misleading because you can't actually see what you're taking a shot of. But now I'm thinking with google glass, it wont be long before google goggle? hahaha (I had too much fun saying that)

Blondie
08-23-2013, 11:28 PM
If it has a lens sort of like the GoPro's do, it will capture MUCH more than you think. A lot of people misjudge small cameras and think they only capture a small bit. But I've found they capture more than a normal camera does. There's no reviews on the site but I would be interested in seeing how this works!

I constantly type googles instead of goggles. It's like a tongue twister for typing!

MerEmma
08-23-2013, 11:36 PM
A type twister? LOL :P

I saw this somewhere, probably Tumblr. It's really neat, especially for people that cruise or vacation a lot. Would be really neat to use while mermaiding...you could create a whole soothing series with it.

Phoenix Mermaid
08-24-2013, 12:40 AM
I had one of these....it was the same brand but a different camera. it was from their professional series. Cost $300 Filmed my 1st and 2nd videos with it (only used it twice) and then it broke ):
No idea why but it never turned back on. Unfortunatly i bought it from amazon and did not have a warranty to get it fixed.
I did however like how handsfree it was. My fiance just swam around behind me or whatever and it captured very well. You have to keep in mind that the camera is higher than your eyesight. It took extreamly good picture and video and sound! The first time filming fiance had a snokel and went too deep. Choked on water came back up cursing. Camera picked it all up very well lol but it doesnt really pick up distant sound. Only the person wearing the mask.
Anyways i really liked the camera but it broke after only 2 uses and i dont know why ): great video and picture though.

Blondie
08-25-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry Phoenix! I know Brookstone does have a warranty with it. That's a shame! I hate it when great idea products don't work well.

Cordelia
08-26-2013, 01:14 AM
It looks like there may be some reviews up on Amazon for it. If you want, you can even buy it for a few more dollars than what the company is asking.... wait. huh? :P

Mermaid Cecelia
09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I had a waterproof phone case that was super great and I took tons of photos, but then my rabbit chewed off the corner :( the warranty didn't cover rabbit bites, so I haven't gotten a new one :(

Blondie
09-07-2013, 04:26 AM
I had a waterproof phone case that was super great and I took tons of photos, but then my rabbit chewed off the corner :( the warranty didn't cover rabbit bites, so I haven't gotten a new one :(
I had an $8 waterproof bag I put my iphone in. It worked fantastically! But, it did tend to steam up inside if there was a drop of water within it. It wasn't the best but it totally did a great job for the price.

Mermaid Cecelia
09-07-2013, 04:43 AM
I had an $8 waterproof bag I put my iphone in. It worked fantastically! But, it did tend to steam up inside if there was a drop of water within it. It wasn't the best but it totally did a great job for the price.
Awesome! Cuz I'm not gonna spend $90 on another phone case :P

Mermaid Melanie
09-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Blondie - you knwo thoes little bags of silica you get with new shoes or in hand bags - well if you pop on of them in the bag it should steam up so much as it absorbs the moisture... anther trick is using a small tampon - also when you put the phone in the bag best to do it in an air con room so there is even less moisture x

Phoenix Mermaid
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Ok I can't take it! I'm buying a new snokel camera mask soon! It just makes filming easier I think. On my other camera its hard to tell what your filming and the camera unfocuses a lot so half my videos are blurry

Blondie
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Blondie - you knwo thoes little bags of silica you get with new shoes or in hand bags - well if you pop on of them in the bag it should steam up so much as it absorbs the moisture... anther trick is using a small tampon - also when you put the phone in the bag best to do it in an air con room so there is even less moisture x

:thinks:Never even thought of that! That is a very good tip.

Ok I can't take it! I'm buying a new snokel camera mask soon! It just makes filming easier I think. On my other camera its hard to tell what your filming and the camera unfocuses a lot so half my videos are blurry

Are you going to get this one?

Mermaid Melanie
09-08-2013, 09:55 AM
yeah we use these tips for dive camera housings also and keeps them clear for normally around an hour at depth :)

Mermaid Melanie
09-08-2013, 10:02 AM
oh yeah for $400 you can get the Nikon coolpix AND ikelite underwater housing - rated to 60m - I have one and its a great shot underwater - for video - get a red filter lens - really brings out the colours nicely.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/nik_l26.html

Phoenix Mermaid
09-08-2013, 03:49 PM
:thinks:Never even thought of that! That is a very good tip.

Are you going to get this one?[/COLOR]

No, the yellow mask if from their Explorer Series...I'll get the same brand, but from the Scuba Series (just had better specs than their explorer series)
I think I'll get his one -> http://www.liquidimageco.com/products/model-324-325-scuba-series-hd-1080p

I think that's the one I got last time too. But I'll be sure to buy warrant this time lol

Ondine
09-08-2013, 04:11 PM
That would be really handy if it worked as advertised... it's always a mission when one mermaid is trying to film another underwater, I think the goggles could make it a lot simpler. Would be interested to see the reviews!

Blondie
09-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Oooh that looks fancy Phoenix! I hope it all works out for you!

I have a red lens for my GoPro. It's alright. Some days it works perfectly some days it's like "Why are you swimming in blood..." It really depends on the color of water you're swimming in.

daviddario8100
09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
WOW that camera is a great invention.. I like the features of the camera and the biggest one is it gives you the best shots. Thanks for sharing.