PDA

View Full Version : My first fabric tail - Questions

Yulia
08-26-2013, 05:47 PM
So, I got my monofin, (finis wave) and I will soon go on a search for the perfect fabric for my tail.
Though I got some questions about making it, that I am having trouble finding answers to.

I want to be able to get my monofin out of the tail, so some kind of opening has to exist on the bottom.
Is it very revealing to have it completely open?
Can a sheer fabric fringe in the bottom help with hiding the monofin?

Is there an easy way to make like a pocket for the monofin, the same way there's a pocket in a pillowcase?
I suck at sewing, so I don't really know how you could make that.

What stitches are recommended?
Really don't want it to rip..... ;__;

I've also been looking into the commercial tailmakers that make fabric tails without monofins, I haven't found many.
Are there private mers out here that could do that?

Thank you for your answers, I'm sorry if some of the questions is in the wrong place. :rolleyes:

Mermaid Fenicia
08-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I put a long thin plastic zipper at the bottom of the flukes of my fabric tails ;) When the monofin is in the fluke I just push the puller of the zipper into the end of it to hide it ;)

Echinacea
08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
The Fin Fun tails have little 'pockets' at the ends of the fluke that the monofin ends go into, and the bottom itself is open.

Phoenix Mermaid
08-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I also like the ability to remove my monofin from my fabric tails (especially since I like to machine wash them after swimming in a chlorine pool) I use velcro on the fluke of my fabric tails. I use 5 1-inch pieces of velcro. It keeps the fabric down around my monofin but it does not create any drag. (I tried using 1 long piece of velcro and two smaller pieces at the side but there was tons of drag so I stick with 5 smaller piece and it's worked just fine on all of my tails)
I, personally, don't like having the fluke of fabric tails open. On my very first tail I tried leaving the fluke open and it just kept floating up so you could see my bright yellow monofin sticking out.

Most people I've talked to recommend a zig-zag stick. I sew my tails with a sewing machine and just use a normal straight stitch. But I sew each seems 2-4 times depending on what seam it is. And so far I haven't had any problems with any of the seams ripping.
Although my very first tail was hand stitched. Normal straight stitch, and I went over the side seam once on each side. And even that tail held up well when I swam in it.

Also I make and sell fabric tails and skins only. (Currently I can only make skins for the finis wave monofin)
You can check out my facebook to see some of my fabric tails.

PearlieMae
08-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Making a fabric tail without sewing isn't going to go very well, I'm afraid. If you use a straight stitch, you are going to risk tearing your fabric under the stress of swimming. A zigzag stitch is preferred because it gives when the fabric needs to stretch.

If you make a cover for your fin from the same fabric you are making the fluke, you can make a flowing, open ended "skirt"-like tail fluke. You can sew plastic snaps on your cover to make it easy to remove your monofin. It will cause some drag, but anything you put over your monofin will do that. If you are going to swim mostly in pools, the drag shouldn't be much of a problem. I swim miles in a lake with a big chiffon fluke cover over my finis rapid, but I've been doing it for over five years and am a very strong swimmer.

As for fabric, Spandex is wonderful. Make sure it is four-way stretch! It has to stretch length and width-wise. Use a wide elastic in the waistline. Make it snug so it doesnt slide down in the water! A thin piece of elastic from the point of the tail stretched over the front center of the monofin and sewn to the back point will hold the end of the tail over the monofin.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Miyu
08-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm preparing to make my first fabric tail as well, And I had planned on putting snaps along the edge of where my monofin is in my fluke (I'm having it trail past the edge of my monofin). If you just leave it open like a skirt, well, everyone will see up your skirt :P

The fabric I got is a 95% polyester 5% spandex 4-way stretch, as I've heard poly-spandex holds up really really well (my lining fabric is also the same fiber content). I've also heard one can use 2-way stretch fabric, provided that the way you cut the tail lets the fabric stretch width-wise and not length-wise.

And, if you're not very experienced in sewing, you should totally check out PearlieMae's (*waves* Hi PearlieMae!) fabric tail - she blew me away with her super-simple idea LOL (and I've been sewing for a long time - just never made a tail before haha). She made only one seam, going up the back, so it's a tapered tube instead of two pieces with side seams.

I bought some swimwear elastic because I heard not to use regular elastic... Then after I got home I heard it doesn't really matter, and I checked the contents of the swim elastic, and grr... I could have just used the (much wider) elastic I have here... and I think I will. This swim elastic is only good for swimsuit leg holes :P

PearlieMae
08-26-2013, 10:20 PM
(waves back!)

Be sure to use plastic snaps, metal ones will rust!

You can use two way stretch, but you have to cut a panel crosswise and insert it down the back. It's not an easy workaround because you have to insert it like a gusset. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning seamstress.

Also, with a tapered tube, you have to leavefabric at the end to flare back out to incorporate into the fluke.

Miyu
08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Yep, I figured metal snaps were probably not meant for swimsuits LOL...

Oh wow, I didn't know that about 2-way stretch for a tail. Then again, I'm not really used to working with stretch fabric, I've been avoiding it my whole life haha!

And as for the tapered tube tails... I think my 1-seam tail may just have to have the fluke cut out separately, as I think my monofin will end up being too big to cut out of the same piece of fabric...

Jadestone
08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
My fluke is also sealed with small patches of velcro at the bottom, so I can remove my monofin when needed. It's worked out great for me so far! Basically, my tail is two pieces of material sewn up both sides. The top part (waist) and very bottom are not sewn. The velcro has held up well for me so far, it doesn't create drag and also lets water flow through the fluke (like drainage holes). It also stops bubbles from getting trapped in my tail.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer about how I did mine etc :)

And yes--DEFINITELY use a zig-zag stitch!

Yulia
08-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Thank you for all your answers, they have really helped me with my planning!

I was in a fabric store yesterday, and looked at some different fabrics, to give me an idea how i want my tail to look.
The biggest problem is though, all of the 4-way stretch fabrics they had where plain colors, and I really don't like the look of a one-color plain fabric tail, it just doesn't
look realistic at all.
What kind of paints or materials can you use on your tail to give it more depth?

Miyu
08-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Fabric paint, Lumiere seems to be the favorite, but I've also heard of using Tulip paints maybe? I think scale (sequin) patches can also help break up the look of a 1-colour tail.

This tail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1wBDDCXg4Q&list=TLTb_CmNjTx2g) was made of different spandex/voile fabrics, I think perhaps?

Although, the fabric I found for my tail wasn't labeled as swimwear/performance at all, I pretty much go through fabric stores touching everything to find the right materials. I spotted a cool fabric, felt it as I walked past, and it felt right, so I checked the label, and it was the exact fiber blend I was looking for. Although, I'm not sure what fabric shops are like in Sweden, but if there's a lot of badly-organized fabric, I just walk through touching fabrics that look pretty to find the fibers I'm looking for.

PearlieMae
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
I go through my fabric warehouse (they sell mostly remnants) and grab anything that strikes my fancy! They generally don't have labels, so I have no real idea of content, but I do my best to make it work. I recently made a tail out of two-way stretch lamé and had to add a piece so I could sit and bend, but you find ways to make it work! If not, you learn valuable lessons and go and make the next one!

Also, Lumiere paints are very good, and any craft store fabric paint will give decent results, but they may not be all that long lasting. So you have to ask yourself how long do you want this tail to last? I find I am constantly making improvements and coming up with new ideas...for me, each tail is part of an ongoing process.

Good luck!

Merman Arion
08-28-2013, 02:20 PM
My fluke is also sealed with small patches of velcro at the bottom, so I can remove my monofin when needed. It's worked out great for me so far! Basically, my tail is two pieces of material sewn up both sides. The top part (waist) and very bottom are not sewn. The velcro has held up well for me so far, it doesn't create drag and also lets water flow through the fluke (like drainage holes). It also stops bubbles from getting trapped in my tail.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer about how I did mine etc :)

And yes--DEFINITELY use a zig-zag stitch!

Hi Jade,
do you recommand velcro for my tail from Magictail? I don't mind when i swim but if i want to do some shoots, it would be nice to have the fluke closed.

Mermaid Star
08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I make fabric tails to sell. (Sea Star Studios) I make them with a pocket and no opening at the bottom. You can still get your monofin in and out of my tails... :) I sell them as skins only, so I think this would be a perfect option for you if you like my design and colors available.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/seastarstudios/m.html?_ipg=50&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1

As for your stitch, the best thing you can do it serge your seams. That will hold them the best. If you don't have a serger, you will need to zigzag stitch your tail together. A straight stitch will break when you stretch your material to put it on.

Yulia
08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
I make fabric tails to sell. (Sea Star Studios) I make them with a pocket and no opening at the bottom. You can still get your monofin in and out of my tails... :) I sell them as skins only, so I think this would be a perfect option for you if you like my design and colors available.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/seastarstudios/m.html?_ipg=50&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1

As for your stitch, the best thing you can do it serge your seams. That will hold them the best. If you don't have a serger, you will need to zigzag stitch your tail together. A straight stitch will break when you stretch your material to put it on.
Oh, those where really pretty! I'll take them into consideration ;)

That was the first time I was in a fabric store, so I don't really know how well-sorted they are. Swedish online-stores are really bad though..
If you know a good onlinestore that ships cheap worldwide, don't hesitate to link!

I have some different design going on in my head, I'll show them to you asap!

And a final "dumb" question.. Is it a good idea to make the tail in two parts? One for the legs and one for the monofin?
The legpart would overlap the monofin a bit, creating the "V-look";
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YhJS9I1YOE0/TftmKBhQ21I/AAAAAAAAA6U/qTT9wIBWF7Q/s400/silicone%2Bmermaid%2Btails%2B2.jpg

This way, you could easily adjust the footstraps on your monofin, and get a more realistic look with the tail not being one block of color.
Making the bottom in a lighter color makes such a huge difference imo!

PearlieMae
08-28-2013, 08:07 PM
My current fabric tail has a chiffon "skirt" over the monofin, and the body of the tail is a tapered tube that opens back up at the bottom to create that V overlap. Now, I have the monofin covered in a stretchy fabric, sewn into place over it, and the chiffon tail fin and the body of the tail are sewn into that base. The fabric tail body is easily scrunched down to my ankles to adjust my straps. I have a Finis Rapid monofin. Does that make sense?

I wish I was on my computer and not my phone so I could draw it for you!

Yulia
08-28-2013, 08:09 PM
My current fabric tail has a chiffon "skirt" over the monofin, and the body of the tail is a tapered tube that opens back up at the bottom to create that V overlap. Now, I have the monofin covered in a stretchy fabric, sewn into place over it, and the chiffon tail fin and the body of the tail are sewn into that base. The fabric tail body is easily scrunched down to my ankles to adjust my straps. I have a Finis Rapid monofin. Does that make sense?

I wish I was on my computer and not my phone so I could draw it for you!

Yeeaah, that kinda make sense ;D
It sounds really cool though, would love to see a pic!

PearlieMae
08-28-2013, 08:14 PM
I will try and post photos tomorrow, the website won't let me post from my phone!

Miyu
08-28-2013, 09:04 PM
I also like the look of a different-coloured fluke with fabric tails, or at least a different shade. I think chiffon-type materials look particularly lovely as fins :)

Oh wow, Star's fabric is super-shiny! :D

Yulia
08-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Here is a sketch I made, of how I would like my fabric tail to look.
I have no idea if it will look good in real life, as I haven't found any picture of a fabric tail similar to this.
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad142/YuliaLinderoth/trebilder003_zpsd1d129cb.jpg
Also, here is the different stitches our sewing machine can do, my mom mentioned that there is a stitch other than the zigzag, that is especially for stretch.
Which do you think is best?
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad142/YuliaLinderoth/null_zps4d8e3da9.jpg

Mermaid Fenicia
08-30-2013, 03:43 AM
I use the 'E'-setting for stitching stretch fabric, that's the special stitch for it (together with the 'D'-setting). 'A', 'B' and 'C' are also good but 'E' and 'D' are better ;) I'm a professional seamstress, so I know how to make outfits and tails ;)

Anahita
08-30-2013, 04:02 AM
And make sure you buy a "stretch" needle, and be careful to not pull the material through the machine.