PDA

View Full Version : I would like to become a tail maker, what do you think ?

starlite
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Hello

I'm thinking about becoming a tail maker, i have made one in sequin and i really love it, what do you thik about this idea ? about my job ? I would like to make sequined tail.

There is no provider here in france.

Thanks

PearlieMae
08-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I, too, am an aspiring tailmaker and I think what we have to do is just start making them, getting some experience, and if people like what we do, they will ask to buy them. After that, your reputation will make you successful!

Good luck!

Echinacea
08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Like Pearlie says, if you make them, mers will come... Another helpful thing is to post pictures of your work. Show people your tail, show them how you made it, show them how you look in it, show them ideas you have for other tails... basically start connecting your name and the idea of 'tail-maker' in our heads! :) Bonne chance!

ShyMer
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
How did you feel about the sewing part of the tail? Do you think you'll be able to sew the tails to fit customer's measurements accurately?

Also have you considered offering to sequin already constructed tails? There have been a few people recently looking to revamp their tails with sequins, and I think this might be something that people would like to see.

Mermaid Danielle
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I think it is a great idea! You definitely need to promote yourself and your work though for people to express interest! Good luck!

PearlieMae
08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I find that with the stretchy fabrics, the measurements are pretty forgiving. A fully sequinned tail, like Hannah Fraser's tails, would potentially be very expensive as it is very labor-intensive. Sewing sequins on stretchy fabric, every individual one would have to be knotted to accommodate the stretch. Hannah's tails are neoprene, I believe, and not as stretchy as spandex.

Glues like E-6000 don't hold sequins for more than a year, generally, even less if the sequins have an iridescent coating - it peels off!

PearlieMae
08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Also, I've posted a questionnaire to gather info, but I'm not getting many responses yet.

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6086-Opinions-needed-and-greatly-appreciated!

Yulia
08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
I would love to see you work, and maybe buy one!
It is great for us in Europe to have some more tail​ors to choose from!