PDA

View Full Version : What do I even look for?

Thalassa
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Okay, this may seem strange so bear with me. I'm not even sure what to call what I'm looking for, so I'm turning to the broader knowledge base (you guys).

I'm looking for a swim top that is like a tankini, but fastens up the back. Think a really long bra or corset without boning. Maybe a bodice? But not laced, fastened with a different type of fastening.

I suppose I could always take a bra and add some fabric to the bottom...but I'm not a great sewer. I suppose I could also cut a tankini up the back and add fastenings...but once again not a great seamstress and I have no idea how to put in the fastenings. I can do my best to figure it out, but I wanted to see if something existed already.

I'm not sure even what to google! "Unboned corset," "tankini," "swim bodice," etc. haven't turned up much useful.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Meemerdd
09-01-2013, 05:10 PM
You might be able to find something under a search of "corset hook and eye closure", as those are hook and eye. (At least, on every non-mer bra I have ever seen.) But the hook and eye shouldn't be that hard to put on, for the actual sewing, they have two holes similar to buttons. They need to be hand sewn, three stitches per hole should do the trick. And I may be able to make you one if you can't find anything.But I haven't actually come across anything like that.Hope that helped! (Oh, and most of the better corset sellers have there designs in both boned and unboned.)

ShyMer
09-01-2013, 10:47 PM
How about layering several tops? I like to swim with a tank top if I can. What if you layered a scale top and a tank top, for example?

Meemerdd
09-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Hmmm, it would be pretty easy if they where sewn together in the back. (If I'm understanding you correctly here, that they'd both have the sort of clasps in the back.) To layer to tops together that both have the closures would involve very exact positioning on them.
But, if you mean only one having the closures, you could really layer it like any other sort of shirt.

Meemerdd
09-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Sorry! I don't think that last question was directed at me. I am blonde, please forgive me. *hides underrrock*

ShyMer
09-01-2013, 11:16 PM
That's fine, I guess you could say it's directed to everyone :)

I see your point in that it would be difficult if you were attaching them together permanently, especially if they have hooks like a bra. I was more thinking of just putting something on top of another top, but both could be interesting. I was curious to see if this gave anyone else ideas :)

Mermaid Syrena
09-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Layering is a great idea. You could always spruce up a simple black tank with beads and crystals, too. I love the idea of a corset, but I can't help thinking that it would be rather uncomfortable to swim in...

AnnaAbyss
09-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Hmmm. A bustier? :D

Anahita
09-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Try "vintage strapless bathing suit"

I have one from the 50s or 60s, and it's probably what you're looking for. They make reproduction ones too, although they do usually have some sort of small halter-style tie on them for added security (my guess is that it's because the reproduction ones lack the boning that the originals had)

Thalassa
09-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks, everyone. I've found that what most closely approaches what I'm looking for is the term "bustier" or "longline bra." I've ordered one, and we'll see how it works (It may end up being the base for my new Merbellas top)!

Mermaid Lorelei
09-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Try "vintage strapless bathing suit"

I have one from the 50s or 60s, and it's probably what you're looking for. They make reproduction ones too, although they do usually have some sort of small halter-style tie on them for added security (my guess is that it's because the reproduction ones lack the boning that the originals had)
I love that kind of bathing suit!

Thalassa - Yay! I can't wait to see the end result!

Echinacea
09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
I have been considering the idea of just taking a comfy bra, and adding a bit of fabric, sewn along the bottom edge of the bra, so it hangs down in front, but leaves the back open. Sort of tankini-like, but it doesn't go all the way around the torso. Then I could also turn the bra into a shell bra! :)