PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide who to get my first full silicone tail from, suggestions?

Brittany McNeely
09-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I am having the hardest time deciding who I want to get my First full silicone tail from.
Im thinking Merbellas, FinFolk, TailFlip, or Mertailor... But Merbellas unboxing videos are always the ones I see in Youtube were the new tail just takes the owners breath away or makes the owner hyperventilate haha. And I actually have a partial silicone/neoprene tail from the Mertailor. I ordered the two tone turquoise a few months ago and received it but from watching a YouTube video my tail is more blue than turquoise.. And it was damaged when I received it. But it wasn't too noticeable so I just didn't say anything. Don't get me wrong I love my tail but I'm a bit weary since it was damaged when it came out of the box and if I am going to spend 1,000 or a couple thousand on it I want to make sure it will be we'll worth or, ya know?

I haven't heard or seen any unboxings or reviews on FlipTails or FinFolk so I can't say much and I'm hoping you all can help me with deciding who I should purchase from (:

MermaidHyli
09-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Talk to christomer starfish for a review on finfolk :)
I got a chance to get up close with his tail and its so gorgeous. I really admir their work and will most likely be getting a tail from them as well :)

Brittany McNeely
09-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you! I will do so (:

MerEmma
09-01-2013, 09:08 PM
FinFolk, MerNation, Mertailor, Merbellas, FlipTails (I think that's all of them haha) are the main silicone tail makers.

FinFolk's tails look gorgeous and I think you can be totally safe ordering from them. I think you should go for whichever makers' tails stun you the most--whichever one just kind of screams to you. My OWN SELF personally I'd stay away from Mertailor but if those are the tails that call to you, then you could totally order from them! See which one you think could do your design, or fluke, or fins the most justice.

I do know that FlipTails (MVD) tails are incredibly heavy depending on the fluke, and have no monofin, just a footpocket. If you want serious speed with your tail then definitely look into a Competitor, which I believe all but FlipTails and MAYBE NOT Mertailor, not sure, you could ask.

I think when it comes down to it you should figure out the design first, then see who you personally think could do it best. Look at their other tails and see others that maybe sort of resemble your tail. They're all except FlipTails around the same price range so don't let that stop you!

Best of luck to you choosing and I hope your tail is perfect. :D

Mermaid Varshana
09-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm going with FinFolk due to flawless customer service stories, their whimsical style, and no 6 mo waiting times.

Mermaidmechanic
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Personally, I love Eric's selection of flukes and he, as far as my own personal experience goes, has been a fantastic person to work with. He answers emails almost immediately (sometimes it might take a day if he's out doing other things) and when I ran across a small problem (a little tear) he immediately offered to repair it. I told him it wasn't that bad and that I would send it to him when it gets too cold to swim, but he inquires about it every so often (making sure it doesn't get worse) and makes sure that I'm not having any other issues with my tail. From order to finish it took about 5 months, which is an average to short wait from what I understand. I haven't had any issues with Eric and I think he's got a good grip on his company and works hard to maintain positive customer experiences. Summary: my paint is beautiful, it swims great, it fits wonderfully, and its held up pretty well to 90+ swims (I've lost count) including beaches, lakes, pools, and a rowdy niece and nephew.

I also really like the new big fish in the pond: Finfolk. Their tails look fantastic and I've heard great things about them. I can't personally say anything about them since I have yet to experience them firsthand, but my opinion is that they are a solid tailmaker.

shimmygoddess
09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Christomers tail is really nice. Seen it in person. I agree w/ the above. Go online and look at tails by each tailmaker and whichever style you like best, go with. I know they are all made w/ the same stuff, but they all look different to me :)

Mermaid Octavia
09-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Go with the tailmaker whose fluke you love the most, I think. :) I went with Finfolk in the end because their fluke was EXACTLY what I wanted. Otherwise I would have gone with Merbellas. Now I just have to make it through til the end of October for my tail's production to start!

Mermaid Syrena
09-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Octavia- so exciting! Are you on FB? Would love to talk to another Finfolk mermaid.

Mermaid Octavia
09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Octavia- so exciting! Are you on FB? Would love to talk to another Finfolk mermaid.

I am though it's just my personal FB for right now. I don't have my tail yet but I don't think that should be a problem? :D

Mermaid Syrena
09-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Haha, not a problem at all. I haven't gotten mine yet either, they've just finished the body and fluke and are waiting on the monofin to arrive! My FB username is in my siggy.

Mermaid Octavia
09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
That is so exciting! When are you expected to receive it? :D

And I'll send you a friend request when I get home!

Mermaid Syrena
09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Octavia- I'm not sure when, exactly, but they're going to start painting it on Monday! I'm so excited. Sure! See you then. :) Britt- sorry for hijacking the thread a little! We'll take it to FB. ;)

Theobromine
09-28-2013, 12:07 AM
O hay Brittany, I seem to be a little late to this party but I thought I would chime in. I have a Finfolk tail (the first one they made with the new scales and fins) and I love it. I wanted to do an unboxing video when I got it but I was actually too excited/hyperventilating to even do a video so I just ripped open the box while my friend took pictures, haha. I actually asked my boss for an earlier shift the day I knew it would arrive so I could get home in time (to make sure I got it from UPS and they didn't drop it off at the apartment office which closed before I normally got home from work). Also, I keep meaning to do a review, I've told several people I would, but I am just too danged lazy apparently :P I still mean to, but I think it will actually be better to do the review after I've had it for a while. If you want to see lots of pictures of it, you can check out my Facebook page (link in my sig). You can also check out this video Mermaid Lorelei made of us swimming together :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSPRfmpc14&feature=share&list=UURMTlPhOubO0qQxsB_hPmVw

Finfolk's tails are beautiful art, excellent quality, and they have fantastic customer service. Abby and Bryn are really great people. And you don't have to wait 6 months for your tail because that is just silly!

Fifi Tigg
09-28-2013, 02:59 AM
We have a little Finfolk tail tail in the works for my daughter! They have already done the body and the fluke is nearly finished! So exciting! :yay: