PDA

View Full Version : A good starter monofin?

Mer-Crazy
09-03-2013, 04:33 AM
So, evidently, I didn't realise I would struggle so badly with my competitor monofin tail. I didn't realise the strength and technique I'd need to use it properly. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a good first/starter monofin to help me not be in so much pain when I try and swim in my tail? (If I had known I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the competitor, actually there are quite a few things I would have done differently, but this is beside the point)

Anahita
09-03-2013, 04:43 AM
So... I've never used this one, so bear with me, but I think a good start would be the Finis Foil. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBBaOSsUaM) might help give you an idea on why it's a good one to start with. Also, watch the woman at the 20 second mark. She's doing an AWESOME dolphin kick.

Mermaid Kelda
09-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Yup, I've heard good things about the foil too. Non-adjustable straps, which can be good or bad - means they're far less likely to break at least, and are easier to hide in a tail if you ever want to use it in one. Apparently the propulsion is great, too, as well as manoeuvrability, due to it being small and light-weight.

Mer-Crazy
09-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Kinda wish I'd known this before ordering my tail lol. I probably wouldn't have gone with the upgrade.

Ilyena
09-03-2013, 05:35 AM
I use a wave at the present time. Maneuverability is good, just the straps slide off if I don't wear socks >_<

Anahita
09-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I think a LOT of people get in over their heads when the competitor (or really ANY fiberglass) monofin is concerned. They hear it's the "best" and they think "swim really fast" or "swim easy in the ocean" and everyone kind of loses it. Lol

No one really realizes that you have to have a good dolphin kick to use it, or you have to move very languidly in it. Either way, what's done is done. Just practice as much as you can with a Foil, and remember, your knees should not be bending, the movement comes from your core. The name dolphin "kick" is kind of misleading, because you're not kicking at all, you're creating a full-body movement and it just trails out the legs and feet. Your abdominal muscles are generating the power, once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to move properly in the tail without the pain.

Mermaid Kelda
09-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Yeah, don't stress too much - get yourself a foil or something similar to practice in, and soon enough you'll be fine with the competitor. And if you ever do want to do ocean swimming, you've got the tail for it! :)

Mermaid Evolet
09-03-2013, 07:26 AM
my first monofin was the "hydra".
http://www.scubaland.co.uk/images/Image/P4992182G.jpg

i bought it when i was 14, at this age i had no real strange in my legs but had never any problems while swimming.
I'm 19 now (so the hydra is 5 years old) and still swim with it.
i was swimming a lot with it (in pools, rivers, lakes and the ocean) and its still in a good contition :)

Marlin
09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
@ Selene- I got a rapid a while ago. It works great for me. Pretty stiff (not near as much as the competitor) but enough to give you some pretty good thrust. I love my rapid, but I think I'm going to agree with the others; the foil has more give to it and would be great to practice in.

Sea Pearl
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I've found the Finis Wave to be a good starter monofin for me personally. Strong, sterdy and quite easy to use. Though I know everyone's taste is different :) Someday I would love to be able to invest in a competitor fin.

Mermaid Octavia
09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
@ Selene- I got a rapid a while ago. It works great for me. Pretty stiff (not near as much as the competitor) but enough to give you some pretty good thrust. I love my rapid, but I think I'm going to agree with the others; the foil has more give to it and would be great to practice in.

Chiming in to agree with Marlin here! My first monofin is my Rapid, which I adore but it is quite large and stiffer than a Wave or a Foil. I had to work up the strength to use it effectively. The monofins that are rubber or something similar would allow for more give and would likely be much easier for you to use! Mahina Merfins are another possibility though I found that a size large is still too small for my size 9 feet!