PDA

View Full Version : Betta Filter

Arella
09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey guys! So I got a betta fish for my dorm and his tank came with a filter that's pretty quiet and doesn't stir the water up too much (other filters on my other fish tanks at home produce much more of a current) but my betta seems to dislike the filter. When it's on he just hides below the filter but if I turn it off he swims around happily. I need the filter on to keep the tank clean though, any ideas on ways to modify the filter so it produces almost no current?

PearlieMae
09-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Not really. I have one too and I just run it during the day when Jiro is active. I turn it off at night. I still change the water pretty often.

Anahita
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
My betta doesn't have a filter. He's fine without one, and seems to not like having one anyhow (during Persian new year he was in a smaller bowl with a filter, but he was pissed. Now since the filter's been removed, and then later after he's been moved to his filterless tank he's much happier and makes bubble nets and stuff). BUT he's in a 2 gallon tank, and I do change his water a lot. And I keep him on a strict feeding regiment and clean out his uneaten food constantly, so that's why I feel ok leaving him without the filter.

Arella
09-03-2013, 05:52 PM
See I'm in school so I don't have as much time to clean him (I do clean his tank but it's much easier with the filter) I think I'll do a 1/2 on 1/2 off sort of thing. That's what I do with my turtle.

Anahita
09-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Honestly, they're pretty easy fish. I accidentally killed my Persian New Year's goldfish, which is why the guy at the pet store told us to get a betta. Mine is a 2/3 water change once a week, and I honestly think that's probably all he needs, but I'm paranoid. Lol.

I also use a Brita filter to pre-filter the water I use for him (to remove some of the hardness and stuff), then I store it in gallon-sized jugs and add the betta safe to it and let it rest for a week. That's a step I really recommend not skipping, because hard and un-balanced water can really suck for the fish.

PearlieMae
09-03-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree with Anahita, mine is in a one gallon and I change the water once a week. My little filter us pretty useless, so I just change some water more frequently. Considering they survive living in mud puddles, I think occasional water changes should do the trick. The guy at my pet shop said he was helping his girlfriend move and put the fish bowl on the bookcase and forgot about him for over a month, no food, no clean water, and he was just fine and lived another three years. He could have been bs-ing me, though. :)

AniaR
09-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Bettas don't need a filter, they prefer still water, just clean it once a week or every two weeks depending on the size of the tank and the type of beta. You can also get a plecko to help with the algae as bettas arent bothered by them

AniaR
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
(I also had a betta live for over 3 years without a filter)

BayouMermaid
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I am the fish girl at a pet store and have two lovely lady bettas in tanks with filters. Bettas like calm water, but filtration creates a more stable environment for them by removing waste and giving beneficial bacteria a place to grow. Hopefully one of these tips will help you out.

Here is a great guide for making a filter cover out of a water bottle to help diffuse the flow: http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/ this article explains it better than I can. Here are a few other possible fixes:

First, I would check to see if the filter is adjustable. Look to see if there are any plus or minus signs on the pump (not all of them can do this) and adjust accordingly.

Another thing that you might do is add a small piece of filter foam over the intake to slow how much water can be pulled up by the filter. The downside to this method is that if the filter doesn't get enough water, the pump will run dry and the motor could overheat.

If you can access the impeller (it looks like a little spinning fan), you can cut the blades down with a dremel tool so that it can't pull in as much water into the filter.

I know that may seem like a lot of information, but it's better to know too much than too little :D Good luck with your fish friend!

Blondie
09-03-2013, 09:48 PM
My sister has filters for her betta tanks. They do a good job with keeping it clean. I think some of them were scared at first but they got used to the filter within a week or so

Arella
09-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys! Any I just buy water when I need to change it because honestly there is too much iron in the water at my school even after a filter (I use the filter to make it semi-drinkable) it's still disgusting. I think the water quality would kill the poor guy if I used it out of the tap (even if I let it sit a few days).

Anahita
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah, if the water is like that you're definitely making the right choice buying it from somewhere. That sucks you still have to use it for yourself though :(

Arella
09-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm happy to report he is now happy :D

Anahita
09-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Hooray! Awww, happy betta!

PearlieMae
09-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Yay for happy fishies!