PDA

View Full Version : broken monofin

Delilah
09-07-2013, 11:10 AM
soo i was swimming and lent my monofin to a fellow mermaid to take a swim and while trying to adjust the straps the peg that holds the strap clip broke clean off. what can i do? if i glued the clip to the monofin and used the other side to adjust would that work?14294

PearlieMae
09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
There isn't a glue that would hold it in place. You will have to drill a hole through the peg and into the side of the monofin. Fit it with a countersunk bolt from the inside with a washer through the hole you drilled in the peg, another washer and then the nut.

How old is the monofin? Contact the manufacturer and seeif they will replace it. Jazz our Jessica (I think) recently had problems with that same fin breaking at a stress point and Finis replaced it right away.

Delilah
09-07-2013, 01:41 PM
its a year old but only used a few times. a few dry events and actually swam with about 3 times

PearlieMae
09-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Definitely contact the manufacturer before you try and fix it. That is a manufacturer's defect. I have their Rapid for at least five years, and while it's beginning to fall apart from heavy use, those pegs are rock solid.

Delilah
09-07-2013, 02:13 PM
thank you, i will try contacting them, hopefully something can be done

Miyu
09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Julz's Finis broke, and they were right on sending her a new one! Hope you can get it fixed/replaced :)

Mermaid Julz
09-08-2013, 07:34 PM
yup, I contacted Finis, and sent them a link to a video showing the damage. They sent me an email back saying they would send one out right when they got their next shipment in and that I didn't have to send the old one to them. So, I am still waiting for my new one to come, and in the meantime, I am gonna try to repair mine even if only to use as a practice fin.

FreshWaterMermaid
09-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I was gonna say lol if you aren't gonna keep it I'll buy it from ya ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Julz
09-08-2013, 10:56 PM
hmmm.... make me an offer FreshwaterMermaid.... I am always willing to listen to an offer.... you can see the damage in a video I have on youtube.... here is the link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6F3_O4YQg

Delilah
09-10-2013, 12:29 PM
i heard back from finis, they said i was no longer under warranty and gave me a 20% discount which doesnt help a poor memraid, plus they no longer sell the rapid on their site

ShyMer
09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
What? No more rapids?

Sorry to hear they couldn't help you. I guess the 20% discount isn't that big of a deal either, seeing as we can get the same coupon from the various codes people offer.
It might be interesting to see if you can find a way to salvage it, assuming you don't pass it on to someone else.
You might be able to rig something up so it becomes useful again.

Maybe you should look into the hydra (I hope that's the one I'm thinking of) for your next fin. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with them, though that may be because few of us have gotten that fin. It has a nicer shape than the finis fins, too.

Mermaid Julz
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
now that I am looking at it again, I feel that yours can be repaired.... you will need a dremmel,sandpaper, a drillbit small enough to drill a hole into the peg and fin, locktite, a small screw/ bolt that is slightly bigger than the hole. and finally, some polyurethane industrial grade adhesive.

1. drill hole into broke peg.
2. drill hole into side of monofin
3.slowly thread the screw into the peg (this will creat a thread pattern inside for it.)
4.put screw/bolt through hole in monofin
5. apply locktite to screw, and screw on peg. Let dry for an hr.
use small amount of the polyurethane adhesive around the base of the peg. allow to dry for 48 hrs.
6.use sandpaper to lightly sand smooth.

It won't be a perfect fix, but it should be well enough for you to still use it.

This is just a suggestion, and if you use it, I do hope it will work.