PDA

View Full Version : What is a good first tail?(realistic/silicone)

KatHawkins
09-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I've been looking at Finfolk Productions tails and Merbella Studios, tails I really like how realistic FinFolk's scales are but I am wanting a scale top also and I can not find any by FinFolk but I love the tops by Merbella.
are there any other tail makers that I should look in to?

And what do you all think about this monofin http://www.finisinc.com/foil-monofin.html for a practice fin?

MerEmma
09-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Just check out the Buying Tails resource on the top bar. It seems like the FinFolk girls would make you a scale top if requested but I suppose I don't know for sure. It's a HUGE, pricey investment so I say good luck, they're both great makers! :) They're also *fairly* booked up for a while, too.

The foil is good, decent propulsion and in a fluke it would be VERY floppy. MerBellas I know puts Foils but I don't believe FinFolk does.

Mermaid Octavia
09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Finfolk's standard monofin is the FINIS Trainer. :)

AniaR
09-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Be sure to read my thread what to expect with your first tail: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4156-What-to-expect-with-your-first-tail

Also, be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction thread

Kumori Kitsune
09-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Lucky wish you the best what ever feels the best I guess

KatHawkins
09-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Would it be good to get a monofin to practice with before I get a tail? it will probably be near the end of the year before I can get a tail. I've been promised a nice camera for my birthday and my brother and I are going on a mission trip so that takes quite a bit (The mission trip is going to cost about 2200 for both of us) but I'm hoping that I can attest get a monofin to practice with.

Echinacea
09-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Can't hurt to get a monofin for practice. One thing to check is where can you swim that will let you use either a fin or a tail. Some pools (like my local YMCA) say no to both, but there is a health and fitness club nearby that says both are ok.

Lotus
09-09-2013, 11:19 AM
starting with a monofin is a great idea. And honestly, I recommend a fabric tail for your first. Both to get you used to swimming in a tail, and to give you a chance to see if a high end tail is a good investment. I'm really perplexed by all the people getting into mermaids who think a silicone tail is the only way.....

Patches
09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I tried a fabric tail and a neoprene tail AFTER I got my silicone. (Silicone was first I ever tried) and I absolutely HATED it. I don't even have a practice fabric tail because it just feels awful to me )': I wish it didn't. It'd be nice to have a practice tail.

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Honestly, I tried a fabric tail and a neoprene tail AFTER I got my silicone. (Silicone was first I ever tried) and I absolutely HATED it. I don't even have a practice fabric tail because it just feels awful to me )': I wish it didn't. It'd be nice to have a practice tail.

Who did you get your silicone tail from? and what monofin dose it have?

Lotus
09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
@RayeBlonde- I can see how that would happen. I personally really love my neoprene tail, far more than my fabric one in fact. I guess where I was coming form was just trying something less expensive first to be sure you're really into it before making a huge investment. Then again, used silicone tails usually sell very quickly should you lose interest. Love your tail, BTW.
@Kathawkins- I know Raye's tail is a Mertailor tail, and he does make tops as well, just FYI. Not sure what monofin he uses, but I think he makes them. Don't quote me on that, tho, I'm not a customer of his.
Mermaid Creations is another great tail maker, and on the lower end of the price scale. He uses the Finis Foil in his flukes. Not sure about tops....
There's also Mike VanDaal- I know he makes molded silicone shell tops. His tails are on the higher end of the price scale, from what I remember.
Also, MerNation makes lovely silicone tails. Unsure about tops with them.... and Thom Shouse makes tails too, but I know very little about them. Hope I didn't forget any of the silicone makers in there.... At any rate, all my best to you in your search for the perfect tail! I'd still grab a mono fin to play with, just to get yourself in the vibe. But that's just me. :) Happy hunting!