PDA

View Full Version : Is the Foil a good starter monofin?

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 07:08 PM
is the Foil a good starter monofin to work up to a competitor? I love the big flukes I plan on eventually getting a silicone tail with a competitor in the fluke, but for right now I plan on making a fabric tail but I do not know what type of monofin I want to get.

MerEmma
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I'd recommend something bigger if it's only to work up to a competitor. The foil is a great fin (in flukes it's very floppy) but if you want a bigger fluke then as far as cheaper goes, look for a Mahina MerFin, Rapid/Wave or something else. The foil is the smallest of the fins, I think.

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
By working up to a competitor I mean working on my power and technique. Are bigger flukes harder to swim with? I plan on makeing a fabric tail and I want the fluke to be rather floppy.

MerEmma
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Bigger flukes are a bit harder to swim with but the transition isn't too bad as long as you are already familiar with techniques and are fairly strong in the abs/ankles/knees. Fabric isn't so much "floppy" as just...flowy, I suppose, try to look up fabric tails on YouTube to make sure you see how the fabric will look with little to no reinforcement. Jadestone has a tutorial somewhere about modifying a monofin to fit a fluke, while still having a good flow (although little to no kick).

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
What monofin would you recommend to start with? I can't remember the last time I used a monofin. Flowy was the word I was looking for not floppy.

MerEmma
09-10-2013, 09:40 PM
It all depends on what sort of fluke you want! Read up on them. I love my MerFin (Mahina/Oceanika) and it's got great propulsion with amazing flow to it, but it rubs blisters all to hell on my heels and absolutely requires socks unfortunately. Not a big deal and I'm personally willing for the trade off, but I know that socks really can bother others. It's also a really great starter-fin.

I'd say to just read up on everything...the Wave/Rapid has a good flow to it as well but it has ridges that show prominently in fabric tails and many dislike, as well as they often only *really* flow when the deep body roll is used with 'em.

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I really like this tail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1wBDDCXg4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player) (the one that looks black and white) what type of monofin do you think is in it?

MerEmma
09-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Looks like a Finis Wave or Rapid with just a whole heck ton of fabric trailing off the edge.

KatHawkins
09-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you, I really like that tail.