PDA

View Full Version : Flesh Latex?

LooneyLuna
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Ok, so I'm completely new to this type of thing so please don't judge my silly questions! I'm wanting to make a latex tail that looks decently realistic. I'm wondering about the materials used for doing this. I've read that you are not supposed to use "alex" latex, so what do you use instead? Can you use flesh latex that's used for special effects? and if so do you need to put the latex over a material such as neoprene? Or can you just make the tail completely out of latex and a mono fin?

Aziara
09-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I would imagine something like this latex would work? http://www.monstermakers.com/product/RD407-Mask-Latex-for-Halloween-Masks-and-Props.html I'm not sure about lining it, but I think most people do. I have read that continued exposure to latex can make you sensitive to it after a while, so I certainly would if it were me!

ShyMer
09-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Most of us have used monster makers rd 407 latex. I can't say I've compared it to other companies' products, but monster makers is reliable and good quality. They're also very helpful if you have any questions. I think it's generally suggested to line the latex with neoprene or other fabric to act as a barrier for the skin, though otherwise I can't actually remember the reasons. I guess it's also so you can use less latex in your tail.

Latex is a pain though because it doesn't stretch as well as silicone. Fitting is difficult.

LooneyLuna
09-12-2013, 07:02 PM
thanks for the help!

sadly i know that using silicone is better, but i've heard it's a little temperamental and I've never worked with it before. Also I'm trying to go for a practice one first, and making one out of latex seems to be less expensive and I don't have all of the money to make a silicone one right now :(

ShyMer
09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
That was my thinking too back when I planned my tail. I think that latex is a decent way to start, even with its challenges.

if you like, make a new thread to share your progress with everyone. It's good for feedback and advice from people who have done it before. It's also a lot of fun and motivating :)

emma11
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Latex is an awesome way to start! Line it with neoprene, and make sure to get latex thickener.

I just finished mine, adn I love it. ;)