PDA

View Full Version : "The Diplomat"'s feature article on Mermaids!

Mermaid Syrena
09-19-2013, 10:37 AM
A few days ago, Jon DeHart, of online newshub "The Diplomat", approached me, wanting to interview me about mermaiding and to find out more about our culture. In the end, we dove so deep with him that he had to break the article into TWO parts, lol. He's a great guy, though- and I think he wrote this article beautifully!

Here's part one, in which he writes about mermaid mythos, and features some gorgeous quotes by Carolyn Turgeon, mermaid writer.

http://thediplomat.com/asia-life/2013/09/mermaids-of-asia-dugongs-dragon-wives-and-the-deep/

In Part 2, which comes out tomorrow, "The Diplomat" will feature an interview with my mermaid alias (Syrena), and I'd also asked Raina to share some of her experienced insights! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. :) Also- a big bubbly thank you to Merman Dan and PearlieMae, who have been a source of comic relief and occasional embarrassing public laughter for me in the past few days. :D

PearlieMae
09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Love you!!!

Mermaid Syrena
09-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Love you more!! I feel like I'm spamming Mernetwork with interviews, lul. *guilty*

AniaR
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Sooo great they interviewed Carolyn. She's so fin-tastic and really gives a great level of authenticity that is hard to take away when reiterating it. <3 she puts the mer-community in such a great light. I see they shared a few of the points I gave- not sure if Carolyn already beat me too it, didn't mean to be redundant ^.^;

Anyway that entire thing was so lovely. Well written

Mermaid Syrena
09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Raina- I agree. Carolyn is such a beautiful person (I also have always liked how her surname sounds like Sturgeon... as in Ray...lol) Jon says he's working on the article with the quotes from you and me in it- today. We'll see how that turns out! I don't think your answers were redundant AT ALL. She's a writer (and a mermaid), and you're a professional performing mermaid who's had years in the business. :)

PearlieMae
09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I really wish I had a better chance to contribute this time!

Kudos, you guys!

Anahita
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
WooHooo! I'm excited to read part two!

Mermaid Syrena
09-19-2013, 10:51 PM
PearlieMae- A mer's gotta work, so don't worry about it! If there're any other newspapers or magazines that contact me after this, and if they want additional sources- you'll be the first mer I'll swim to for opinions. :D I also wanted to ask Iona to contribute this time around, but Raina said her sched was pretty tight. (also, time differences are a BEACH)

Anahita- Thanks, lovely! And GIT to uploading more mer pics on your mer FB page! <3

Merman Dan
09-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Do you want me to share that NatGeo video with everyone, then? ;)

Mermaid Syrena
09-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Merman Dan- That might change a couple of innocent people's perceptions about swimming in the ocean, you evil genius.

Anahita
09-19-2013, 11:22 PM
LMAO, I have to remember to take a camera (and a mertender for that matter) when I swim. It's been really hard lately since my go-to is busy, and my other friends are weaklings. :sad eyes: Why can't I have stronger friends?!?! (actually the answer has little to do with friends and more to do with the fact that I love cake ;) )

PearlieMae
09-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Anahita, that's what I tell kids when they ask me why I'm out of the water. I love cake, and cake isn't very good when its wet, so I trade games and songs and stories for some yummy birthday cake!

Anahita
09-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Hahah! I'm totally going to steal that explanation if I get caught off guard by some inquisitive child :D

MerMarla
09-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Great article! Nice to see he did some research and presented it with historic research and current vision! Carolyn is wonderful, and I loved seeing her quoted in the article! I am looking forward to part 2, it should be just as well written!

Mermaid Marla

Mermaid Syrena
09-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Marla- Marla! I would have loved to have had you in the interview as well! Add me up on FB (my profile and mermaid page are all in my siggy. not sure if we're already friends) and if anything ever comes up again, I'll be sure to ask you. I'm sure any journalist would love to have a Weeki Wachee mermaid- who's STILL mermaiding- speak to them.

AniaR
09-20-2013, 07:39 AM
I didn't get a chance to even contact Iona cuz I was off to work when I was invited. I don't usually have internet access and Iona and I have opposite sleep schedules. By the time I got home I was under the impression it was all done so I didn't have a chance to contact her. Next time maybe someone can message directly on here or her mermaid page. ;)

Winged Mermaid
09-20-2013, 07:42 AM
I also wanted to ask Iona to contribute this time around, but Raina said her sched was pretty tight. (also, time differences are a BEACH)

Sorry, but I never got any messages from you at all? The only way you could consider my schedule "tight" is that I'm currently on opposite sleep schedules from the rest of the world (well, I'd be right on if I lived in Australia :P), so that can make some things difficult atm, but not anything like that that. If you'd like to ask me about something, please contact and askme and not someone else! I mean, I'm the only one who knows if I'm busy or not ;)

AniaR
09-20-2013, 07:49 AM
http://thediplomat.com/asia-life/2013/09/mermaids-and-magic-in-modern-asia/

Mermaid Oshun
09-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Amazing article. I really enjoyed it Iona and all!

AniaR
09-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I didn't even read it just posted the link on my way to work. Finally sat down and read it... Great job syrena! You come across very well. Happy for you and proud!

Mermaid Syrena
09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Sorry, but I never got any messages from you at all? The only way you could consider my schedule "tight" is that I'm currently on opposite sleep schedules from the rest of the world (well, I'd be right on if I lived in Australia :P), so that can make some things difficult atm, but not anything like that that. If you'd like to ask me about something, please contact and askme and not someone else! I mean, I'm the only one who knows if I'm busy or not ;)

So sorry about that, Iona! I sent you a friend request but I think maybe you didn't see it, or maybe my FB is just screwed up. I also considered messaging you here, but we were dealing with the h**king problem (they that shall not be named), so I didn't know if it'd get through, and I didn't know if your mermaid page was dealing with so many fan mail messages that it wouldn't get through to you in time. :P Next time I'll just try all avenues! The reporter was working on a pretty tight schedule, so he needed people to give him their answers ASAP.

I have two Mandarin newspapers (lol, so cute) who interviewed me as well, and I mentioned the international mers, but they weren't so keen on contacting other mer sources cuz then they'd have to translate that into Mandarin as well. But because Singapore is small, and so the mermaid wave is- to put it tritely- making a bit of a wave in such a small place-- like I've said before, if anything comes up again, I really, really would love to rope more people into it! It's just hard coordinating time differences and response times.

p.s I have watched your paradiso swim about a gazillion times and it is lovely.

Mermaid Syrena
09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I didn't even read it just posted the link on my way to work. Finally sat down and read it... Great job syrena! You come across very well. Happy for you and proud!

I'm trying to get him to hurry up and put in the pictures! I want him to use one of you so everyone can see your gorgeous taail. Not sure if he will, though, he hasn't been responding. We'll see, I guess. I think we both came across sounding relatively intelligent. ;)

Anahita
09-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Just read it, and I loved it! As always, you were awesome and well-spoken. You rock girl! :highfive:

Seatan
09-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I loved the article! The whole 'we love the magic of it' thing is so true...

MerMarla
09-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Marla- Marla! I would have loved to have had you in the interview as well! Add me up on FB (my profile and mermaid page are all in my siggy. not sure if we're already friends) and if anything ever comes up again, I'll be sure to ask you. I'm sure any journalist would love to have a Weeki Wachee mermaid- who's STILL mermaiding- speak to them.

Mermaid Syrena!

I am honored you would consider me! I think the article was wonderful, very well thought out and intelligently written! I know how many questions get asked, topics covered, general interest conversation, just to get a quote or two that fits the direction the author wants to present! Everyone did an awesome job! I so enjoyed reading it! I love to watch the younger Mermaids grow into their tails, and enjoy the magic! I sure will FB friend you! Thank you again for the kind thoughts!

(((Hugz))) and Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla