PDA

View Full Version : Mermaiding Book?

Mermaid Hamant
09-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I have been thinking about this idea for a while now. I think we should all put together a book on mermaiding. There could be a section about getting started for people just getting introduced to this hobby, a section for tips on tail making, etc. Maybe Hannah Fraser could even write a foreward for it, who knows? Just putting the idea out there. I am sure if all of us contributed to make such a book it would be a very interesting read. Please let me know what you think guys! :)

Mermaid Momo
09-11-2011, 01:41 AM
i agree! it would be so much easier if there was a book like this!

jukumerboii
09-11-2011, 02:56 AM
great idea for sure!

Odette
09-11-2011, 03:06 AM
i was thinking of something similar but your idea gives more variety. totally do it and we will all help however we can, im sure. im up for it.

Mermaid Hamant
09-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Ok, first of all, what would you guys expect from such a book? Information? Concept art? Personal Stories?
Also, should it be a traditional book, or the scrapbook-looking type? If we made it look like a scrapbook (with an ocean theme - blues and greens with shells and coral designs for example) I would need you guys' help in decorating pages. If we did this, we could scan each page and then I could type or write over it with whatever we wanted to put on them.

Mermaid Momo
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
i think that it should have info. with personal stories. that would make it really interesting! as for how it looks... a scrapbook looking would be awesome! it'll sorta fit the mermaiding topic.

New York Mermaid
09-11-2011, 04:48 PM
a mermaiding book,
I think should have sections of personal stories, with random photos, ideas including tail making vs commercial tails, FAQ's, monofins and of course i would love like little quotes all through the book of "how I became/decided to be amermaid/merman" (lol suddenly I thought Chicken soup for the mermaid soul lol) ohh at the end of the book there could be a page of quote from people "for aspiring mermaids"

Mermaid Jewel
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
If anyone has InDesign, making pages would be super easy. I know how to use it pretty well, but I don't personally own it (I really wish I did!). That way it can be digital but like a scrapbook, same color swatches throughout, and it'll have one document :)

Mermaid Hamant
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Cool! Does anyone have this?

If anyone has InDesign, making pages would be super easy. I know how to use it pretty well, but I don't personally own it (I really wish I did!). That way it can be digital but like a scrapbook, same color swatches throughout, and it'll have one document :)

Mermaid Jewel
09-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Well anyone have it and be able to use it :)

Mermaid Hamant
09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
True true lol it would be helpful if people knew how to use it. Also guys feel free to start putting together sections and share them to compare ideas. We can all pick what we like as a group and put it all together. This will be a group forum thing. Not just me. :)

Mermaid Hamant
09-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Also I was thinking we could also have a section introducing the different pods from the forum, so that people interested in this hobby would know there are fellow mer-lovers around them. :) Good or bad idea?

Mermaid Jewel
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't know, I'd rather not advertise my location in a book that's going to be more public than this forum.

Also, maybe start writing a few hundred word anecdote about your beginnings in mermaiding? Not a resume (dear god that'd be long) but almost like your introduction thread :)

Mermaid Hamant
09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Good point. Bad Idea.
That sounds interesting... you mean have different people each write a sort of introduction like that? If so should those be anonymous or signed?

Mermaid Jewel
09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
It could be either I guess. Maybe just signed with your mer alias if you have one?

Spindrift
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
This sounds like it'd work more like a magazine, or even a newsletter.

Mermaid Hamant
09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Thats a good idea also! Except it would only be open to the general mernetwork community.

Sea Pearl
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
A mermaiding book would be such a great idea! It would be so helpful for people who are thinking and just getting started into it and are a bit clueless about where to begin, like me.:D

Neria
02-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Ooooh! This sounds like a great idea! I am getting excited already! The scrap book look is a great idea. Maybe we could also include mermaid legends...... and maybe a list of mermaid books, movies, and T.V. shows. Lots of pictures for sure. And I think the whole thing should definetly be in color.