PDA

View Full Version : Tails and fish!

Jadestone
09-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I have a question! And am not sure where is best to post it, haha.

I want to take some pictures next to/partway in a koi pond at my college. But I don't want to put anything in the pond that might be harmful to the fish.

I have a spandex tail painted with Jacquard Lumiere fabric paints (heat set). The paint isn't chipping/coming off at all, but I'm still worried about the fish being near it/mouthing at it (they pretty much try to treat anything that goes in the water as food for the first 15 seconds or so before they give up and stop trying to eat it, haha).

I don't have the bottles of paint accessible right now to check them for toxicity warnings : / I've looked on the paint's website and haven't found anything...

If anyone has an answer, I'd be grateful! :)

Echinacea
09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
If the paint surface isn't chipping, and you aren't planning on being in the water all that long, my guess would be that you are probably ok.

Jessica
09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi jade,

i have the same paint that I bought for a fabric tail but never used. It says it conforms to asdm d4236. I believe this is some sort of nontoxic standard based on what I googled. Hope this helps!

Mermaid Lulu
09-26-2013, 06:49 PM
koi fish are fairly hard to kill so I don't think a few minute with paint will do any harm.

Jadestone
09-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I looked up astm d4236 (http://www.astm.org/Standards/D4236.htm), and it seems to imply it's nontoxic enough? I doubt it's for fish standards, probably human, but I think it should be okay. Been looking up koi a bit and they don't seem to be super delicate fish, so it should be fine :) And honestly, as a fishpond on a college campus, I'm sure much worse has been in that pond x_x

I wish I could get my koi tail done for this, but that won't be ready till spring, so goldfish it will be! :)