PDA

View Full Version : De-lurking to introduce myself

Theobromine
09-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now, so I decided to finally introduce myself so I can participate in the forum. I can't believe I never found this community before! I've been obsessed with mermaids my whole life, pretty much. I'm currently in the preliminary stages of making my first swimmable tail, out of swimsuit fabric, and if that works well I will probably try making a more realistic tail after that.

I'm an American who lives in Queensland. I'm a zoologist and avid scuba diver (PADI divemaster). I've always had an affinity for water, and about a year ago (for my birthday) was when I got my first monofin, a Finis Rapid. I love it! I use it for scuba diving as well as just snorkeling and regular swimming whenever I can. I want to take a freediving course when I get the time and money, so I can extend my breath-holding abilities, which at the moment are pretty crappy :P Anyway...I think that's about it for the intro, I'm sure I will have many questions and ideas about making my tail and such fairly soon...

--Caitlin

AniaR
09-11-2011, 11:30 PM
welcome Caitlin! Really cool to have a zoologist I'm sure you'll have lots to share with us :)

Spindrift
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Another expat! I was in Queensland for like a month in May/June! :) I really liked it. I got to check out the Lone Pine Sanctuary, Binna Burra, Lady Elliot Island, Fraser Island, the Goldcoast, Noosa, and the Canarvon Gorge. It was AMAZING. I got to swim with sharks and manta rays and cuttlefish and parrotfish and barracuda and and and... *faints*.

Winged Mermaid
09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Welcome! Glad you're coming out of the shadows! Wow, a zoologist and a divemaster- that's awesome!