PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND OUT WHY THE YMCA WONT LET MERMAIDS SWIM

AniaR
09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Apparently they arent encouraged to have outside parties making money through their facility, and in the past few years they've been cracking down on it, and now it's not allowed. If they think you're going to make money, even if you just want to swim - they don't want you to encourage others to hire you outside at another pool. I'm 100% serious, lol I talked to the manager of the one by us when he said we couldnt swim, and I demanded to know why since he didn't have a clear answer. He legit said "YMCA's aren't big on other people making money"

!!!

Obviously, I don't know if this accounts for all our YMCA experiences, but it explains why especially in the last year facilities that used to let mermaids swim no longer do.

It's so lame, so so lame. lol and doesnt even make sense, but that's what we know so far.

Merman Dan
09-28-2013, 10:20 PM
They are also not keen on breath holding/hypoxic training and have actually banned such practices in their pools.

Seraphina Suds
09-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Pfffft I thought YMCAs were supposed to be all generous and friendly and welcoming. What a shame.

Echidna
09-29-2013, 12:08 AM
:eek:
Of all the reasons I could have imagined (safety issues, hygienic reasons with paint, glitter etc), THIS is not what I'd expected...

They are also not keen on breath holding/hypoxic training and have actually banned such practices in their pools.
Well, a bit of breathhold is a part of almost every swimstyle...I've never heard of it being banned anywhere
(unless you lie on the bottom of the pool for half an hour without moving, I could see that :p)

Blondie
09-29-2013, 03:19 AM
Just because one person said that doesn't make that the true fact. I've worked a pool it's a liability. I know this because I've had to chase people out of the pool who wear monofins. I'm not saying that your information isn't valid, Raina, I don't think that's a very solid fact though. If it's posted on a website or released from the YMCA as an official notice, I don't think THAT is why you can't swim in a tail there.

AniaR
09-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I specifically asked about liability as they mentioned liability insurance. I doubt you'd ever get an official "no mermaids in pools" post from the YMCA but so far this is the closest anyone has gotten to an actual answer. And it matches up with the states

Mizuko
09-29-2013, 08:11 PM
After speaking to the lifeguards at my local YMCA they seemed really confused about the new rules (which have only been put in the last few weeks down here in Australia) regarding freediving. They allow normal swimmers to do a 50ft underwater breath hold swim- but not freedivers. They allow normal swimmers to use flippers- but not freedivers. How the heck are they meant to police that? They all sounded pretty annoyed. From what they said to me, its because a lifeguard died a few years ago thanks to shallow water blackout in the US, and now all YMCA's are slowly banning free diving.
I dont know what this means for mermaiding- I dont usually wear my tail when I'm training! But considering free diving and mermaiding go hand-in-hand, it looks bleak. Luckily theres a privately owned dive pool in my city, its a bit of a drive from where I live now, but at least they allow free diving!

AniaR
09-29-2013, 08:31 PM
yes apparently they arent renting out to scuba divers either though, but I heard that second hand from the local dive shop.

Blondie
09-30-2013, 03:18 AM
I specifically asked about liability as they mentioned liability insurance. I doubt you'd ever get an official "no mermaids in pools" post from the YMCA but so far this is the closest anyone has gotten to an actual answer. And it matches up with the states

No, but they can release a post about not allowing monofins or constricting materials while swimming their pools.

Echidna
09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
They allow normal swimmers to do a 50ft underwater breath hold swim- but not freedivers. They allow normal swimmers to use flippers- but not freedivers.
Lol.
So, I'm a "normal swimmer" with or without monofin, occasionally doing a lap underwater.
Do they stand at the side and count the meters I swim, and if I stay down longer than 16m and swim the full 25m length of the usual pool instead, they haul me out saying "nonono, this counts as freediving now"?

Good luck with that.

AniaR
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Yeah that's not the reason they told me though or mermaid stephanie. She tried going all the way to the top too. She documented it on Feb and it was shared a few months ago in a thread.

Mermaid Kalliope
09-30-2013, 04:09 PM
This is just silly. :-/ Liability is understandable, but if you are a freediver and know what you're doing, and with a swim partner, what's the problem?

So, if I went to a YMCA and was just swimming about, are they okay that I sometimes stay under for a minute? Maybe more? But if I bring my tail/monofin, they're not?

I don't quite see "where" they draw this line.

Merman Arion
09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm pissed for all of you. They can shove that silly law up in their asses, that's all i'm going to say.

:soap box:

AniaR
09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
it sounds to me like two separate things, liability, and outside funds. I know many organizations aren't allowed to host other businesses, I just didnt expect the YMCA to be one of them.

MermaidBonnie
09-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I just did a mermaid party at a nearby YMCA and they were very friendly, and a month ago a friend and I mermaided at a nearby YMCA with the same treatment. I used to train at different YMCAs a few years back and never had a problem. Maybe Im doing something different?

AniaR
09-30-2013, 05:35 PM
it hasnt seemed to make it's way across to all the YMCAs yet, but it does seem to be happening. We had no issue, and then all of a sudden no for the reasons stated above. Mermaid Stephanie had the same thing, and she went right to the top and geared up presentations and everything. Her YMCA also called all the other YMCAs she could get to ahead of time. :/ but like I said. they told me specifically it's something they've been rolling out.

Mermaid Lorelei
09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Just recently I had this affect me. One of the YMCAs nearby allowed both myself and Mermaid Cyanea for a good while and then suddenly decided that I couldn't use my tail there because I had made my tail myself and Mermaid Cyanea had purchased her's from Finfolk Productions. :/

Mer_Adella
09-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Just recently I had this affect me. One of the YMCAs nearby allowed both myself and Mermaid Cyanea for a good while and then suddenly decided that I couldn't use my tail there because I had made my tail myself and Mermaid Cyanea had purchased her's from Finfolk Productions. :/

Are you saying that they discriminated you because yours was made by you but not Cyanea because a company made hers? I would be ticked if that is what you were saying. I just wasn't sure if you were saying that you couldn't swim or that both of you couldnt.

I talked with my local YMCA a year ago and they said "are you a member of our YMCA" I said no, but I would if i could swim in the pool. they were all happy and handed me their rules and it said no snorkling, diving, or other swimming equipment. I asked if earplugs and goggles were considered "other swimming equipment. they smiled and said no. so i asked about a monofin and the tune changed. "that is specifically a fin that we do not allow." and I haven't heard back from them since. I sent an email to the manager saying that I wasn't going to come in full mermaid tail but I would like to use the monofin and no response. So I have relied on visiting my friends and swimming in their apartment pools. Might be smaller, not as deep or as cool as some of the college pools most of you have, but hey....at least I can swim there.

Echidna
09-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Are you saying that they discriminated you because yours was made by you but not Cyanea because a company made hers? I would be ticked if that is what you were saying. I just wasn't sure if you were saying that you couldn't swim or that both of you couldnt.

This confused me as well.
Swimming in a self-made tail obviously spells "promote my business" for them;
but then, wearing a bought tail is likewise "promoting their business" then...

seems it's indeed a twofold issue; liability, and business promotion.

Glad we have normal pools here, run independently by people not affiliated with any sect
(so far :p, there are efforts to forbid women in public pools by our big lovely muslim groups though).

I hope you guys find other places to swim if not even monofins are allowed any longer.

Mermaid Lorelei
09-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Yes, I was not allowed to swim. Cyanea was allowed. It was simply because I had made my own tail.

shimmygoddess
09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow, that doesnt seem fair! I was allowed to swim in my Merfin at the local Y here. I did not attempt to ask about the whole tail though. Maybe next year. LOL

Mermaid Esther
09-30-2013, 09:11 PM
how ridiculous

Theobromine
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Oh yes, ugh, this was really lame and stupid and kind of confusing as well.

I was a member at that YMCA and had brought Lorelei along as a guest, which was allowed. She came with me a couple times and the staff at the Y seemed really happy to have us there and thought we were really cool. The general director (I'm pretty sure that's who it was) even came out one time and told me she thought it was awesome. But as we were leaving the second time, my husband said one of the staff told him that they had had a meeting about it recently and decided that I could continue to swim there because my tail was professionally made, but Lorelei couldn't because she had made hers herself :mad: Never mind the fact that she used the exact same materials and methods that pro tailmakers use and is planning on becoming a tailmaker herself at some point :doh: And even more infuriatingly, when I went back there at a later date specifically to talk to them about it, some chick who called herself the aquatics director talked to me when I was trying to talk to people at the desk had no clue what I was even talking about. I tried to explain that I was one of the mermaids who swam there regularly and that my friend's homemade tail was made the exact same way as a professional tail, using the same materials, therefore they had nothing to worry about. She acted like she thought I was asking if I could swim in my tail there AT ALL and said she would have a meeting with the rest of the staff about it and call me back later (which she never did). Meanwhile I was like "no no you misunderstand me, I ALREADY got the okay from multiple people to swim here, I just wanted to clear up the confusion about professional/homemade silicone tails. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR @#$%%^% clueless fools.

The only reason I didn't pursue this further was that I actually ended up moving away, back to my home state, and was too busy with packing and moving to go swimming there again anyway. But I won't be joining another YMCA ever again, you can be sure. Sad that I can't swim with Lorelei anymore :( (psst Lorelei, come visit)

Moral of story: humans are dumb.

AniaR
09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
moral of story: tell them they're all professional tails haha

Mermaid Lorelei
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Sad that I can't swim with Lorelei anymore :( (psst Lorelei, come visit)
Pssst, I want to! -hugs-

Kumori Kitsune
09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
ymca has gone down hill mine is kinda trash they area monopoly for in door pools theres no place here to swim in winter but there this sucks. haters gonna hate mines probly to getho to let me and la fitness is a no go to expensive. The pool at my school is just for like swim lanes it sucks.

MerEmma
09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Ours has horrible management, speaking from someone who has been on the swim team for four years now. I love the team and my coach but they're all really slack and irresponsible, despite my love for them as people. They've always allowed monofins in lap lanes but nothing else, no tails. It sucks and oh gosh, Theobromine...that's rubbish of them. >_>

Theobromine
09-30-2013, 11:37 PM
moral of story: tell them they're all professional tails haha

Lesson learned :P The most obnoxious part is that I don't think we actually told them anything specific...they must have overheard me admiring her tail and saying how I couldn't believe she made it herself because it was so awesome :rolleyes:

Echidna
10-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Lesson learned :P The most obnoxious part is that I don't think we actually told them anything specific...they must have overheard me admiring her tail and saying how I couldn't believe she made it herself because it was so awesome
:doh:
I made my first tails from bathing suit fabric, no paint, no glue, no glitter, or anything.
I'd like to know whether those guys would STILL go "nop, you made that yourself" ...
it's really aggravating.

But, just in case.
If anyone at MY pools ever asks where my tails are from, I'll say I bought them all from a superduper business :rolleyes:

Oceana
10-22-2013, 04:05 AM
I had a feeling that was the case. I hope other pools don't follow suit :/

mermaidtigris
01-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. So what would they do if you wore a swimsuit you sewed yourself? That's just crazy!

mermaidtigris
01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
YMCA is messed up. They won't let women nurse their children in nursing chairs in the nursery.

XMermaidMarinaX
01-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I never even go to my Y, I'd go to my community pool, which I'm not sure if it allows it or not as I've never asked, but I was allowed a monofin since it wasn't busy.. I'd only had a monofin at that point. Anyway, the pools are so chlorinated the smell hits you when you walk in, and they'll leave the doors open so if you're NOT underwater, you're cold! Augh! The waters not even warm!

Mizuko
01-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Bit of an update, my local YMCA has changed their mind regarding free diving/mermaids thanks to a huge push by the local free diving community! XD So, yeah, we are allowed to do it again. (Mermaiding wasn't a problem- unless we started 'diving'; we were only allowed to swim on the surface!)

Winged Mermaid
01-28-2014, 01:41 AM
That's great Mizuko!

AniaR
08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
The YMCA told me as a charity they have policy in place north america wide that outside businesses can't solicit through them. If what you're doing can be interpreted as that they can say no. This is common for nonprofits. It is up to each ymcas discretion but it is an official policy.

26494926bdgqifkwb
11-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I actually contacted my local YMCA, and they have a policy that the people doing the party would have to rent the party room, but once I get my partail silicone, I have to make an appointment with the aquatics director just so they make sure I can actually swim in it, and so that the life guards can figure out how much resistance my tail puts up in a rescue. They've never had a problem with me practicing in the pool, though. (I live in southwest Missouri, so they've also never seen a real mermaid before. ;))

Arielle
12-02-2014, 02:35 AM
I swim at the ymca all the time, especially with my best merfriend, and nobody even takes a second glance. Lol >.<

I really love having little kids follow me around asking me if I'm a real mermaid! Much fun!

Vrindavana Starfish
12-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Wow, after reading this, I'm so glad for my community pool! Since I don't have a tail yet, I'm taking it slowly and building up a relationship with my pool. They have a synchro team (so, clearly they're cool with breath-holding) and people lap swim with fins all the time. I haven't seen a mono fin yet, and haven't asked them about using one, but I feel like it would be ok, especially since they're starting to recognize me and know I'm a strong swimmer.

MerAnthony
12-03-2014, 11:11 PM
WOW! I had a problem with the YMCA where I used to live. I swam in my homemade tail a few times there before an then one day out of the blue they told me to take it off. I was kinda pissed about it so I left. Well I am glad I live in North Carolina now an I have talked with a few of the aquatic centers here an they have no problem with me swimming in my tail.

savvyandstuff
06-22-2015, 12:02 PM
This is all so confusing to me... I had a Y membership a few years ago before I got my pool installed and they actually HAD wave monofins available for use in their indoor pool. Makes no sense.

Seatan
06-22-2015, 12:08 PM
My rec center allows monofins during lap swim but not open. They said it's because "it encourages breath holding," but I got a look at their open swim the other day and I think the real reason is they are afraid someone will get kicked. There were almost 80 people in the pool at open swim. And I have been kicked in the face by SCUBA fins before--it ain't no fun. And I always had a regulator in! I think THAT is a much better reason not to allow them at open swim. I can see people getting really injured if a ton of people with fins showed up at a full pool.

AniaR
06-22-2015, 01:18 PM
This is a post I made two years ago and at the time that's what they told me

Seatan
06-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Yup, the Y is cray cray. I never even bother to try and swim there.

shimmygoddess
06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
interesting, b/c our Y let me swim with my Monofin and the last two years Anna has her tail and they never had an issue

Mermaid Sirenia
06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm allowed to swim in the Y where I live in my tail! I haven't yet but they've invited me to and told me I'm more than welcome to use their pool for practice, interesting [emoji14]

AniaR
06-22-2015, 05:47 PM
like I said, it's a piece of information from over two years ago (when I started the thread) lots can change

Mitten Mermaid
01-07-2017, 08:28 PM
This is so frustrating. We contacted our local YMCA 5 days ago about advertising mermaid parties there. We still have not heard back from them. With the YMCA being literally a 3 minute walk from seeing lake Michigan they would entertain it and/or use me to bring in more customers or at least more people into their facility? I am not sure but what I do know for sure is our local Aquatic center (where I work at as a lifeguard) is doing MUCH better than that YMCA and it has only been there for a little over 10 years.

Nerdmaid Faith
01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I've swum at the YMCA in Regina and there was no problem. That was a one-off time though; looked like just 2 young guards, no superiors. From what I've heard, YMCA lifeguards are payed FAR less than other pools, even leisure centers.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

AniaR
01-08-2017, 10:42 PM
this thread was started 4 years ago. back then they basically banned just about everyone from swimming at the YMCA. I think over the years some have relaxed.

Mermaidrey
03-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Yep, my YMCA is also totally not mer-friendly, he said 'I may hurt others with the tail'
Despite it being lane swimming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurelian
03-29-2017, 02:31 PM
I haven't even bothered to ask my local YMCA. I'm 99.9% certain they'd say no, and even if they didn't I would want to swim there in a tail anyway. The chlorine levels are so high that you can smell it as soon as you enter the building, (despite it being down the hall,) and if you open your eyes for even a few seconds underwater without goggles they sting for the next few minutes. Definitely not the best option for prolonging the life of a tail.