PDA

View Full Version : how much neoprene do I REALLY need?

WillowAnne
09-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I was REALLY hoping to be able to go to JoAnne's to get neoprene, instead of having to order it, but I called and sadly they said they didn't carry it anymore :(

I am planning on ordering from Seattle Fabrics (4.50 per sq foot). I have a competitor monofin and it will be (mostly) uncut, so those things are about 27-30 inches long. I plan on the tail coming up to my bellybutton, instead of below it. I thought about ordering 36"120. Does that sound right? I teach English, guys, so I DON'T DO MATH. haha. I'd also like to have a bit of neoprene left over, since I want to experiment with adding weight pockets throughout the tail.

it's about 39" from the floor to my bellybutton (without the monofin, obviously!)

Jadestone
09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Are you getting one long strip of material to make both sides out of, then?

If I were you, I would put the monofin on, lie down with your toes pointed, and measure the length up to your bellybutton. That'll give you the most accurate estimate of how long it needs to be probably. If you want to make sure it goes up to your waist even when you're sitting, you should measure with the tape behind you (like, sitting on the tape, so it goes from the back of your legs, around your butt, and up to your waist/where you want the tail to end) since that's the longest "edge" of your body when you're in a tail.

I would also add on an extra six inches or so for each half of the tail--you'll need room for seams, and some extra wiggle room just in case is NEVER a bad thing.

Imogen Finnly
09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/performance-fabric/neoprene-sheets/nylon-double-lined-neoprene-sheets/2mm-black-nylon-double-lined-neoprene-sheet-sbr-.htm
Try this place. for about 60 bucks you get 55 inches wide by 83 inches long. that's where I plan to buy it. so it should be enough for your belly and to make two separate templates (if that is what you plan to do)!:D So one sheet of this should be plenty depending on your monofin.

FreshWaterMermaid
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/performance-fabric/neoprene-sheets/nylon-double-lined-neoprene-sheets/2mm-black-nylon-double-lined-neoprene-sheet-sbr-.htm
Try this place. for about 60 bucks you get 55 inches wide by 83 inches long. that's where I plan to buy it. so it should be enough for your belly and to make two separate templates (if that is what you plan to do)!:D So one sheet of this should be plenty depending on your monofin.

Definitely go with a single sheet of neoprene. I've made 3 neoprene tails and I have a competitor in one of them. I had just the right amount for a whole tail on one sheet (83x55 ish) lol
Seattle fabrics is good. Or Foamorder.com I have ordered from both in the past and was happy with the results.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

MerMarla
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi WillowAnne!

I've made fabric and neoprene tails, but I prefer not to layer neoprene over my flukes fin or monofin. I like to make a skin out of fabric to make the flukes cover. My monofin (prototype) is 36 inches wide, so if I used a single sheet of neoprene at 55 inches wide, it wouldn't be enuf to cover the monofin! Make sure, like Jadestone suggested, that you make a pattern or good set of measurments (they say measure twice, cut once... I measure 5 times or more until it's reproducible, then I cut). Just make sure you make a good estimate, including seam allowances, etc.

Have fun and good luck!

(((Hugz))) and Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla

WillowAnne
09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys! You all are fabulous!