PDA

View Full Version : MONOFIN HALPPP

Imogen Finnly
09-29-2013, 08:04 PM
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=5513&d=1345492617
So in the sticky thread I noticed that they had this monofin posted as an option. I was given the male (shark) version as a gift (used) by a supportive coworker and want to know if anyone has used this in a tail before and what it swam like as I haven't gotten into a pool to try it yet. It fits my feet pretty well in a snug (very snug) fashion but the strap is a bit slippy.. :) I would like some real time gossip on it please;)

PearlieMae
09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry, but I couldn't get my sasquatch size 10s into that! Good luck!

Imogen Finnly
09-29-2013, 11:19 PM
haha! I'm a size 9 and a half so it was a little tight but not uncomfortable surprisingly enough!

Imogen Finnly
09-29-2013, 11:45 PM
http://www.target.com/p/voit-diamond-reef-fins-black-silvertone/-/A-10338336#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=swim+fins
So I found these online and they pretty simple and very affordable and even though they are not 'mono' I have seen tails with two separate fins before so I think I want to play around with those as well and have two experimental tails!:D I would just have to design a fluke with enough neoprene to blend the fins into.

Mermaid Allie
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
WORST MONOFIN EVER. sorry bt that thing NEVER would stay on my feet and I have a size 3 kids foot. Also it has like zero propulsion because its a kid monofin. It also looked a bit silly on me because its so small. i mean im only 5'5 but it looks tiny in the Tail. Seriously if its a first tail go with a finis rapid since you're a size 9. Neoprene creates so much drag that you really need a good monofin to propel you :)

Imogen Finnly
10-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I think I am going to have to! I mean if they had it in an adult size that would be great you know? The pool I'll be using is 14 feet deep so I think I will need something to really blast me through the water! how did you prevent water from filling the empty spaces in your fluke? I heard something about leaving little gaps to let the water drain but I'm not sure!

Anahita
10-02-2013, 01:07 AM
You leave openings in the bottom of the fluke to let the water drain out (the same way that the monofin has those little holes at the toes, the end of your fluke should have some unsewn/unzippered/unvelcro-ed bits to it so the tail doesn't bubble up and drag)

MerAnthony
10-02-2013, 08:59 AM
My daughter has a monofin like that an she hates it. It keeps slipping off her feet an everytime she swims with it. So she uses a monofin that I have here that is kinda to big for her feet but she somehow figures out how to use it quite well with out a problem. you might have to find away to keep the monofin from slipping off your heels. We have tried but failed so far. Good luck.

Imogen Finnly
10-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Anahita: I never really thought about that before until someone mentioned that Raven (Merbella) does it really subtly in her tails! So when you seal the fluke you basically just leave tiny pockets open for draining? hmm! I am glad I know that now than when I started my tail and ended up having it flood!
MerAnthony: You know the funny thing is, is that when I tried one on (given by a friend) and I would just move about a bit and the straps kept slipping! even when I tightened them! I guess that would pose an annoying problem!

Mermaid Allie
10-02-2013, 08:37 PM
If youre willing to spend the money, the finis competitor definitely has the most propulsion, and it can be cut into any shape desired using a dremel.

Anahita
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I definitely like my competitor. For a bit cheaper you can get a Leaderfin in "soft" (which from what I gather is about the same as a Competitor for about $100 cheaper once shipping to Cali is calculated in) But since I haven't bought a Leaderfin yet, I can't personally recommend it, just speculate.

Imogen Finnly
10-02-2013, 08:50 PM
would it be possible to change the shape of the finis wave? cause I actually am kinda looking at that one too. while I get the material and such down here I still have time to make a final decision on the fin. have any of you tried the regular fins? like the individual swim fins? I've only seen it on one supposed "Merbella' tail.

Anahita
10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Definitely. There's a few tutorials here on how to do it.

As far as two separate fins, I HIGHLY suggests AGAINST it., just because I've seen people dolphin kick in them (both with and without a tail), and because they're two large, separate planes, your legs don't move uniformly under the water like they do with the monofin.

Seatan
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I like doing dolphin kick while scuba diving in two fins, but I have to agree that it will make more a poor look when mermaiding... It propels well enough but your legs just don't stick together unless you REALLY focus on it, then you can't focus on where you're going! The monofin helps a lot. It also keeps your knees closer together.

Imogen Finnly
10-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh! I am so glad that I asked before I went off and bought them haha what a mess it would have been if I would have put either of those in my tail. it def. makes me feel better knowing that I escaped potential misery!

Echidna
10-03-2013, 01:19 AM
As far as two separate fins, I HIGHLY suggests AGAINST it., just because I've seen people dolphin kick in them (both with and without a tail), and because they're two large, separate planes, your legs don't move uniformly under the water like they do with the monofin.
While a true monofin certainly makes it easier to move smoothly and gives better propulsion, it's definitely possible to dolphinkick with separate fins (or without fins) just as well if you do it right ;)

In fact, it's even recommended to learn the dolphinkick BEFORE using a monofin, because many people learn the correct movement better without.

MerMarla
10-03-2013, 02:43 AM
I like doing dolphin kick while scuba diving in two fins, but I have to agree that it will make more a poor look when mermaiding... It propels well enough but your legs just don't stick together unless you REALLY focus on it, then you can't focus on where you're going! The monofin helps a lot. It also keeps your knees closer together.

Hi Seavanna !

Hi Anahita !

I totally agree with Caltuna, you can easily dolphin kick with and without regular fins, and if done right, looks as beautiful, and is just as powerful as using a monofin. Learning to dolphin kick without fins is a great way to learn the proper undulating motion. High School and University teams, as well as Olympic swimmers perform dolphin kick/butterfly at practice and competitions all the time!

Since 1947, the Weeki Wachee Mermaids swam shows in regular fins. No one has complained that it didn't look professional, or looked poor. We used (and they still do use) fabric tails. They look just fine and have as good propulsion as you would ever want. I have no problem using fins in my tails for flukes. I grew up using a High School pool for lessons since I was 5 or 6 years old. So learning to dolphin kick with your knees together was just normal part of swim instruction, and like anything else takes practice. I believe there is no reason not to learn dolphin kick the right way from a swim instructor, and then learn what we at the Springs, have always called "The Mermaid Crawl". I can still Mermaid Crawl, the length (25 meters) of my gym pool, without fins. It's good practice! Just watch some of the Weeki videos, you will catch on to the Mermaid Crawl easily! With the proper training/swim technique and practice it's not hard at all, almost instinctive and looks beautiful!

JMO
(((Hugz))) and Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla

Echidna
10-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Since 1947, the Weeki Wachee Mermaids swam shows in regular fins.

Didn't even know that, but makes of course sense, since monofins weren't produced prior to the 70s.

These days, I mostly swim without fins, and it has made me a much stronger and faster swimmer.
I can easily dive the same distance as with a monofin (25-50m), it just takes a bit longer without fin lol.

At the surface, I do a flattened dolphinkick on the back or sideways.
It's slower than "Mermaid crawl", butterfly, or regular crawl, but I'm ok with that because it looks so much more mermaidy :D

Anahita
10-03-2013, 05:33 AM
The problem is that most mers are not professional-grade swimmers like Weeki Wachee swimmers. Most of them don't do a correct dolphin kick, and without a monofin to not only take away one less thing to "think" about, but hold the feet together and encourage proper form, very few are likely to do it seamlessly... That's even why Finis made its Foil and Trainer models, to train people to kick properly. Bifins are only good for very well trained swimmers.

Also, times have changed since 1947. We have newer technology that's allowed us to have better and better results in creating illusions, which has resulted in a different standard of viewing things and higher expectations of the viewer. (which is probably the same logic as to why everyone is rushing for a silicone tail now - similar logic) Think about it like movie special effects. King Kong when it came out in the 30s I'm sure was some crazy convincing special effects, because we didn't know/have a different standard. But if it was done that way nowadays, or even 15 years ago when animatronics were still the staple of special effects, it wouldn't look right to the audience. The stop-motion animation and mirror projections often fall short when compared to animatronics and carefully done CGI (of course bad animatronics and CGI can completely negate that, but I digress). Likewise bifins on a swimmer who might already have a hard time dolphin kicking is only going to make it worse in ruining the "illusion", whereas a monofin aids in at least creating the illusion rather than relying 100% on the swimmer to make it.

Seatan
10-03-2013, 10:29 AM
MerMarla, Caltuna, I know it is possible to do a perfect dolphin kick with two fins or no fins, but I was making the assumption based on the post that, as a new Mer looking into her first tail, she was looking for what kind of fin would give the best propulsion and be the easiest to mermaid in rather than what COULD be done if you dedicated large amounts of time to practicing technique. If you just want to mermaid for fun then there is little reason to choose to spend the extra time unless being a stronger swimmer is your goal. For many people being a great swimmer is secondary to the simple joy of being a mermaid. In the end, I think a monofin is the easiest way to look mermaidly when first starting, making it easier to just swim with no worries, concentrating on fun tricks.

Coradion
10-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Too keep it from slipping off your feet thread a circular band, like a surgical tubing "rubber band" through the hole by where your toes go in the foot pocket. Loop it through so it is attached to the foot pocket but you can slide your foot through the circle of tubing as well as into the foot pockets. I use it as a kind of safety on my monofin cause it's huge and dense and if it came off I don't want to be diving for it.

PearlieMae
10-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Excellent solution!

Mermaid Wesley
10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
oh and if youre not willing to spend on a compeditor im actually quite fond of my wave. if you are going to have it removable from the tail, you can experiment with extensions

Imogen Finnly
10-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Coradion! that is GENIUS! I would have never thought of that myself lol
I don't mean to break up the hot and heavy action but personally I want to go with what is easier to swim in and most comfortable. When I was a child, someone tried to drown me in a pool as a prank, and my mom demanded I get swimming lesson seeing as no one wanted to come save me, but even with training and junk I always prefer to swim underwater with a dolphin kick. personally it feels more comfortable to me than waving my arms and legs around. I feel stupid when I do. So Comfort is number one. Not to mention I'm not planning to be professional seeing as this is all to feed my slutty mermaid hungry soul;) BUT I LOVE everyone doing their UTTER best to give me advice out of experience and care *kisses to all*!

Imogen Finnly
10-10-2013, 06:32 PM
By the way... I GOT MY FINIS FOIL :'3

Kumori Kitsune
10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I wish they had adult fin im to afraid to cut a fi they cost alot

Imogen Finnly
10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
yeah I am not sure whether I am going to cut my foil or not...

MerEmma
10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
For a Foil it's so small I don't see why you'd want to cut it, honestly...when it's in a tail just make the fluke bigger!

Unfortunately besides the MerFin and the little kid's mermaid fin, there aren't many options for a fluke that's already cut into the right shape.
A bit pricey, Victoria now sells her fins on Etsy though! From what I've seen they look super awesome. :D http://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomMermaidFins

Imogen Finnly
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I've seen those-_- so amazing but its a bit over my price range but I would totally buy one. It turns out my foil sticks out of my tail a bit. I might add fringe so it should cover it but I might do a trimmy trim tri.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Aino Revontuletar
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Too keep it from slipping off your feet thread a circular band, like a surgical tubing "rubber band" through the hole by where your toes go in the foot pocket. Loop it through so it is attached to the foot pocket but you can slide your foot through the circle of tubing as well as into the foot pockets. I use it as a kind of safety on my monofin cause it's huge and dense and if it came off I don't want to be diving for it.

Could you take a picture of this? I always understand stuff like this much better if there is a picture. I want some extra reinforcement for my monofin too