PDA

View Full Version : Bond mono fin to a Neoprene tail

Firemaid
10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
What techniques have others used to bond Neoprene to their monfins?

Firemaid
10-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I know this has been discussed here before, I just can't seem to find it...

Firemaid
10-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Come on guys. Someone smarter than me dig it up?
Pleeease..

teeth4u
10-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't know the answer but I read somewhere that lace works very well. You can make a lace glove for the monofin and then bond neoprene to the lace or silicone or anything really. Lace is very light as well. I'm not exactly sure how you are trying to bond the monofin to the neoprene. Like have the neoprene cover the monofin? Or connect neoprene to the monofin for a partial silicone tail?

Winged Mermaid
10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
For a neoprene or neoprene based tail people use tin-cure silicone, usually the GE Caulking stuff. You put it in there with the caulking gun and use a rolling pin or something similar to roll it out evenly in the fluke. DON'T use tin cure latex/ALEX because it takes months to cure in-fluke and can cause moderate to severe reactions if it's swam in before it's fully cured (this has happened to 2 mers that I know of). Just be sure once you've smoothed it out there isn't any in the foot pockets, and if there is clean it out right away.

Firemaid
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tips!!
In my tests the 100% silicon won't stick to the monofin. The finis foil sucks for making mermaid tails. Unless I figure out a tidy work around I am never using it again
For a neoprene or neoprene based tail people use tin-cure silicone, usually the GE Caulking stuff. You put it in there with the caulking gun and use a rolling pin or something similar to roll it out evenly in the fluke. DON'T use tin cure latex/ALEX because it takes months to cure in-fluke and can cause moderate to severe reactions if it's swam in before it's fully cured (this has happened to 2 mers that I know of). Just be sure once you've smoothed it out there isn't any in the foot pockets, and if there is clean it out right away.