PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid with short hair?

LittleTreasure
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Hello! Since there are a couple of hair-related threads in this section, I figure this belongs here...

I have only ever seen 2 pictures of a mermaid with short hair - deviantart drawings - and I wonder why. I think long hair is beautiful and sexy, but short hair on the right person can also reveal her bone structure and uncover her eyes and lips. I think it could be just as pretty on a mermaid - but maybe that's my self-consciousness talking to me. I just recently got my hair cut into a pixie cut and I love it in every area of my life...except in the mermaid department.

My question is, what do you think? Can short hair look good on a mermaid, or does the lack of long hair make her less appealing? Would anyone be able to suggest a way to accessorize so my short hair is shown off instead of ignored?

Thanks for reading!

Alveric
09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I'd say it depends on the woman, tail or no tail.

Alveric

taom
09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I think that, just like humans, mermaids would have hair of any length. i think that the hair length perhaps indicates personality a little bit. Like, long wild hair indicates ferral-ness, and short hair shows playfulness or something like that. Point being, like Alverice said, it depends on the person. As for accessorizing, you could try things like pretty clips and maybe random little braids through out your hair. Just sort of messy and cute.

AniaR
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I had short hair for a long time :) I enjoyed it- low maintenance. I think long hair is the stereotype. If it didnt take me so freaking long to grow it out again I'd keep cutting it all the time!

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/038/c/b/Retro_Mermaid_by_raine_angel.jpg
a shot with my old short red hair and mertailor tail before it was adjusted and fixed

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/091/7/d/Am_I_a_Lark__by_raine_angel.jpg
A shot with my stretch vinyl tail

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/142/b/1/b1598dfdd69e2c1b6824b1463d7d5c8a.jpg
short hair pinned back

Mermaid Kalliope
09-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I currently have short-ish hair. I love having my long hair, but I'm really happy with my current cut. (A curly bob) As everyone has said, it depends on the girl. :-)

Try adding hair wraps and clips, maybe a nice large piece that's off where you'd wear a flower or something. :-)

I added hemp strips with beads:

そばかすのキス
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
This is definately something I'm thinking about today. I have very long hair. It's so thick and heavy that if it's not up or in a long braid it's very uncomfortable. So I've decided that I'm gonna stop worrying about not fitting the image of what people expect of mermaids and just get the damn pixie cut I want. It helps with work, with swimming, and with SCUBA. I don't think one aspect of my life is enough to keep my hair long.

I'm gonna try shell clips in my hair and fish net hair bands and tiaras and such. Mermaids are what we make it. We create ourselves <3

Blaze
09-12-2011, 11:22 PM
I'd say it depends on the woman, tail or no tail.

Alveric

*Points up* THIS. Although I think it goes for male & female! :D

malinghi
09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
As far as my idea of what a mermaid is "supposed to" look like, the idea of short hair being odd for a mermaid never crossed my mind. In fact, there are probably a bunch of people in the community that have short hair. The first example that comes to mind is Iara- her hair is definitely short, and it looks fine while she's mermaiding.

melbel1023
09-13-2011, 01:55 AM
I feel the same way - I have always had long blonde beautiful hair, but after an emergency appendectomy and week long stay at the hospital I decided to cut it all off (the nurses never brushed my hair, it stayed in a ponytail the whole time and got CRAZY tangled!). Then I made my mermaid tail and was sad to not have long hair anymore! I ended up getting a long wig for dry-land appearances, but I don't swim with any hair accessories.
Real hair:
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/MermaidMorgandy/th_P5280049.jpg (http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/MermaidMorgandy/?action=view&current=P5280049.jpg)
Wig hair:
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/MermaidMorgandy/Pirates%20of%20the%20Caribbean%20Premier/th_IMG_4459.jpg (http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/MermaidMorgandy/Pirates%20of%20the%20Caribbean%20Premier/?action=view&current=IMG_4459.jpg)

kazekoh
09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I have very very short hair myself, and I keep it short. ( I shaved it in support of st Judes just last February! )
I think its just fine for a mer to have short hair : D It takes all kinds after all. ~
As for hair accessories, You can put clips in your hair and have all sorts of things dangling as others have suggested. Head bands are another option. ^^
I personally have dyed my hair different colors~ You can use a oil biased ( like olive oil ) serum to protect the dye job in the water~

green52
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Has anyone seen bald? Its not the image that I prefer, but there is a wide range between mostly human and mostly fish. Has anyone seen pictures or drawings of bald merpeople?

ide
09-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Green52 just barely beat me to it - I think the most realistic, and quite possibly hottest look for a mermaid (depending on the shape of your head and facial features?) would be bald. My ex girlfriend had a buzz-cut and it made her eyes and lips pop like mad, she had a figure like an anime character to boot, so nothing un-feminine about it, she's super girly.

Lots of serious swimmers shave their heads - hair creates a lot of drag and slows you down in water. Me? Right before I started mermaiding I chopped off over 2 feet of my hair. Funny thing is, people still think it's long, but for me, this is a short haircut and I love it.

LittleTreasure
09-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very insightful. I'd have answered sooner but my life has been quite busy in the past few days... and thanks for the suggestions! I'm still thinking about what kind of hair accessories I might use. Oh well, I have enough time before I can swim again....Summer is officially gone here in Arkansas as of this week. :(

Btw, AniaR, your pics are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I need to figure out something in the way of makeup as well as hair stuff. Just finished my tail so I haven't gotten to the accessorizing yet.

LittleTreasure
09-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Oh and I didn't want to leave anybody out of my reply so thanks to all who have also posted pictures. They are lovely! <3

MermaidNerenia
09-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I think for mermaiding you can have any style hair, in my mind mermaids would, but bald mermaids would be super sexy i think, very un-worldy and fierce. I think short hair would be adorable also though, cute little spikes or floaty little layers maybe with some seashells. In my mind also, mermen have mowhawks and ride giant seahorses!

Damica
11-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I feel you. I have always had shoulder length hair in most my my teen/adult life because it was simply easier to take care of. Sadly, when I'm swimming with my fin, it feels very un-majestic, and I think it comes from that setro-type of mermaids long hair.

I like the image of mermaids with short hair. I feel it fits their free spirit. Really depends on the mermaid.

Mermaid Saphira
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
once upon...I had beautiful long golden hair, then i got sick and my hair got tangled. You all know the rest of that story..
I miss my long hair, it made me fell so mermaid-ish. I'm growing my hair back now, but i do tend to draw mermaids with shorter hair. I like the look it gives them :)

Gem Stone
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
i think that both long and short hair have andvantages but if you do what you feel comfotable with then you will always be happy! personally, i enjoy my meduim/longish hair but it tends to get in my face while swimming/mermaiding. short hair looks adorable on the right person but if it stands striaght up in the water, i could look a little funny in a pic. sorry, im not trying to make digs at eaither hairstyle but my point is that everything will have its ups and downs so do what you like with your hair. it you who has to deal with yourself in the end

Mermaid Momo
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah i have short hair too. (down to my shoulders) but when i start swimming, i'm going to run with the african look and french braid the front halfway with cowrie shells braided in and then do a large circlet braid(is that what they're called) around my head with larger shells braided in and wear the back half of my hair in an afro

SweeteSiren
03-18-2012, 06:49 PM
One of my favorite artists, Julie Bell did a pseudo-bald mermaid picture that I love: "Goldfish".

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I think you're all forgetting something... in The Little Mermaid (the original story), the Little Mermaid's sisters cut and donate their hair to Sea Witch in exchange for a knife that can be used to kill the prince and turn the Little Mermaid back to her mer-form instead of turning into sea foam in the morning. I remember seeing several paintings of the mermaid's sisters with short hair as a result.

Prince Calypso
03-18-2012, 07:51 PM
personally for me as a guy long hair is one of the most feminine things about a mermaid, its what gives her her power. naturally my hair reaches to my shoulders which for a boy is long but for a mermaid too short for my liking. so when i start mermaiding for money i'm gonna be wearing swim cap wigs and then weaves.

this is not to say that mermaids with short hair aren't beautiful as hell, i mean even the mermaid girl in "Lost Voices" has short hair, as did the the mermaids on Charmed.
Short hair on a mermaid can be very beautiful and sexy as hell
but just for me personally i would prefer long hair

Mermaid Azira
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I like to wear shells and such in my hear, no one cares that it is super short.

AniaR
05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
I have short hair again, kids tell me mermaids have long hair. I say, how many mermaids do you know? Just me! and I have short hair! bahahah

Kanti
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Aren't mermaids pretty much like people?
I think they're pretty capable of choosing their own haircuts haha

LittleTreasure
05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
:P You're right, Kanti. However we all have our stereotypes...and what woman would actually wear short hair in the time that mermaid legends started circulating? (Granted I assume mermaid legends are really old, I don't really know). When I think of merfolk I automatically picture girls with long shiny hair.

I felt a little bad about my hair when I first got it cut because it just didn't look so good with my tail. I've decided to grow it out, just because I want to play with my hair and I think I'd feel more feminine with it. Shallow I guess, but I'll probably just get tired of it soon enough and cut it off anyway XD

I'm just glad we live in a time now that short haircuts are accepted on women.

Mermaid Lorelei
05-02-2012, 06:52 PM
One of my goals as a mermaid is to make it clear to children adults alike that people come in all different shapes, sizes, (hair styles) colors, and so on. By showing them that their favorite mythical creatures come in a variety may help them to see that it's a good thing humans have variety too. But that's just me. :>

Bellasea
05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
^^ Thats wonderfull!

I really prefer the short hair look on a mermaid. In my opion, merpeople are designed to live in the water and anyone with long hair knows how much of a hassel it is in the water. It gets all tangled and in your face. My hair sits just above my belt. When I swim with it down, it gets all wrapped around my arms and neck. So, why would merpeople keep their hair long if it provided no benefit?

Mermaid Momo
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
i have short, about an inch from shoulder length hair and though i love it now, i'm growing it out so that i don't have to buy wings when i wear lolita. there are shorter styles for loli but i want to be able to have those huge cascading curls without dishing out the money for the wig. XD

MermaidRaegan
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Up until 14 or 15, I'd actually never gotten a single hair cut, EVER. My grandmother believed it was a sin for a woman to cut her hair, and my mother humored her for some time until my hair just got too long to manage. After that I kept my hair at midback until about two years ago, then I went from an emo-chick poof to scene hair, to a mohawk (mohawked mermaids are sexy, dude) and then finally lopped everything off to an inch long so it'd grow even. I really miss my long mermaidy hair cause it was so pretty, but I'll never grow it out that long again. Being a short-haired mermaid has been so easy!! I love it.

Delphine
03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
It is good to know that other mers are also thinking about this hair-length question. It has been in the back on my mind for Project Delphine, as I once had hair that fell to my waist. Then, after reaching that length-goal & having long hair for much of my life, I closed my eyes & had my friend chop it off to my jawline in a bob. It was a literal weight off my shoulders (my hair had been SOOOOO heavy & tangle-prone) & I felt that special type of freedom that lopping one's hair off brings. (Those who have done this, you probably remember this lovely feeling.) Anyway, I cut my hair a little again, & it's currently to my shoulders. I've been wrestling, as Performance Day looms ever-closer, what to do about my hair. Some days I want my long hair back (to go "traditional"), others I want it shorter. Then, I think about how much I hated how all the girls I knew as a standard had long hair, how it has associations with being young, feminine & how free I felt with it short (above shoulders). So now, I want a new cut, that's shorter, and still fits Delphine the mermaid's spunky personality.

Mermaid Lorelei put it nicely, and I agree with the merpeople being choosing their own look. I'm not sure what they'd use in the wild (sharpened rock or shell knives?), however I'm sure they'd find a way to shear their hair to their liking. Likely because I'm reading about women's studies right now, long hair for women was (and largely still is) the traditional standard for women to show their obvious femininity. At the same time, it's a rebellion to cut one's hair (or if pushing the gender roles the other way, for males to sport long hair), which is why it's freeing, though also gets tricky & political. My friend told me that the males at her old job wouldn't take her seriously in the businessworld, when she had her long hair (she got a fantastic short cut, I've never seen her with long hair) pulled back in a swinging ponytail. Hm, I'd agree long hair for merfolk is the stereotype, however short hair on some (male or female, mer or human) may compliment their facial features & personality, for others, longer locks. MermaidRaegan--WHOA, NEVER cut it?! How long was your hair, at it's lengthiest?!?

LittleTreasure, as someone who's been diving into mermaid & merfolk legends, stories & sea shanties, they are as old as we are, at least. They are from every country & continent you can think of. Antartica's Sedna, to Africa's Mami Wata & Water-meid, to the Iele of Romania, to the Rusalka hailing from Russia, mermaids are everywhere. There are some articles about Wendy Hardie's experience looking for Mermaids in Karoo (http://travel.iafrica.com/searchsa/westerncape/195193.html (http://travel.iafrica.com/searchsa/westerncape/195193.html%27)). Interesting, huh? Phew, this post is longer than I meant it to be. ^__^'

Mertara
03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
I am having the same dilemma! On one hand I miss by thigh length hair, because it would have looked amazing under water, but at the moment its a pixie, though I am planning on growing it back out, I will just have to make it work until then. I also have facial and body piercings and a tattoo, so I am thinking of going the gritty/dark route for my tail, I'm not sure....I always envisioned "real" mermaids as being dark and scary anyways. If mermaids really do exist, they live deep deep in the ocean, and probably resemble more deep water fish than tropical ones ^_^.

Mermaid Dottie
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I chopped my hair off over thanksgiving to do the Locks of Love thing. ^_^ I've had long and short hair off and on throughout my life.
I love it both ways.
I think my current look is super cute. I dyed it Brown to Seagreen ombre.
I have lot's of fun styling it now.

Mermaid Dottie
03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
I am having the same dilemma! On one hand I miss by thigh length hair, because it would have looked amazing under water, but at the moment its a pixie, though I am planning on growing it back out, I will just have to make it work until then. I also have facial and body piercings and a tattoo, so I am thinking of going the gritty/dark route for my tail, I'm not sure....I always envisioned "real" mermaids as being dark and scary anyways. If mermaids really do exist, they live deep deep in the ocean, and probably resemble more deep water fish than tropical ones ^_^.
I love spikes in short hair. Maybe with fake sea urchins, spiky shells, or crazy starfish?

Mertara
03-21-2013, 08:38 AM
I love spikes in short hair. Maybe with fake sea urchins, spiky shells, or crazy starfish? oooh sea urchin hair is a great idea! Would look better on a merman though XD

seagirls626
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm letting my hair grow out so that I can donate it later on. :)

Delphine
04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Hello, mers! Quick update, had my friend chop of my grown-out cut from when I'd gotten mad at my growing hair earlier. It managed to crawl past my shoulders, & now it's barely brushing the back of my neck. Love it! So light & feels like freedom, swimming in my tail did, too. :)

Stefani
04-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Los tópico de las sirena son; pelo largo y cantar bien. yo creo que el pelo largo es importante, en el agua crea un efecto muy bonito con las ondas

Mermaid Pickles
04-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I have dark red/auburn hair that reaches just past my chin, and I like having long hair, but I always have to braid it when I sleep, because I toss and turn, so I've decided to keep it short. Still have to braid it sometimes, but this way, I can keep it back at work and not worry about if I leave it down. (I work at a daycare/preschool) So for my cosplaying that I used to be able to use my actual hair for, I have a wig. And wigs for other cosplays, but you get the point. I can frenchbraid my hair and the ponytail it back. I have a ponytail with strips f red fabric and shells tied to it. >,O That's my hair accessory.

seagirls626
05-07-2013, 08:44 PM
There are advantages to being a mer with short hair (although I've never known them having hair down to my waist). Mermaid Raina maid a webcomic explaining why mermaids (sometimes) have short hair, it was really funny!

LittleTreasure
05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Since I made the first post here I just kind of let my hair do its own thing. I have gotten it cut a couple of times, and it was very short for a while. Sometimes I like how it looked, sometimes I think it looked horrible. Like every woman it seems, I have a love-hate relationship with it. But since it was short I've let it grow out and colored it, and now it touches my shoulders. I just personally feel more girly with long hair. But maybe that's because I just don't have the right face and body for short hair! Kudos to everyone who rocks a short cut.

Goldie
05-14-2013, 09:46 PM
When I have short hair I really feel like a pixie..:) Like I should have leaves and twigs sticking out of it here and there. :P and talk silly nonsence.

Echidna
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
For those who don't feel mermaidy enough with short hair for whatever reason,
or for all who have long hair but think it gets in the way too much when swimming,
I'd like to point out my thread in Accessories "Silicone Merhair Cap"-
a swimming cap looking like "aquatic hair".

If any tailmaker, or someone with the know-how to work with latex and stuff, would be interested to make this item,
I'm sure it would be a smashing success not only with mers.

LittleTreasure
05-15-2013, 10:38 PM
So I guess that would be a wig made from a silicone cap? Cool. :)

Edit: I just checked out the thread, and I see what you mean now. Those look pretty interesting... I wish I knew how one would make one of those.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I've since let my hair grow out. I've never had waist long hair, so I don't know about that, but I love the feeling of my hair flowing about me.

When I had short hair, I was mistaken for a boy a lot. That's what happens when you aren't *obviously* womanly... aka small busted. So, I decided to just keep it long. Been working, exceot that I have naturally curly hair... which tangles... a whole freaking lot. Haha

Mermaid Raven
02-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Can I still be considered a mermaid if I have a mohawk? I mean I've always been kind of a tomboy and I've never really been a "girly girl", but will my short boy-ish hair keep me from being part of the mer-community? :(

Mermaid Alea
02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
You are certainly a mermaid if you have a mohawk! There isn't a "mermaid standard" in the mer-community. Everyone is accepted and encouraged to be unique and make your mersona look the way you want it to look. If anyone tells you a mermaid has to be skinny with long flowing hair don't listen to them because that isn't true. Mermaids, just like people, come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, styles, etc. :)

You might want to look into making some waterproof mermaid armor as that seems like something you might like for your mersona. Just a thought. :)

Welcome by the way!

Mermaid Wesley
02-19-2016, 05:07 PM
MOHAWK MERMAIDS ARE RAD! No really you just need do do this thing where you look in the mirror and go "yep mermaid." And then viola you're a mermaid wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Raven
02-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Thank you sooo much and thanks for the idea I think I'm gonna do that. :D

Mermaid Jaffa
02-20-2016, 02:02 AM
If you're hair is really really short, you could decorate strands of it with rainbow loom bands.
Like this. https://www.rainbowloom.com/product/hair-loom-studio%E2%84%A2-single-by-the-makers-of-rainbow-loom%C2%AE-turn-bracelets-into-braids.html

Mermaid Maris
02-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Here is my hair :) The reason I cut it is because i had bleached it and then decided I wanted my natural blonde color back! At first I had done sort of a mohawk style look and then I cut off the mohawk. Now I use Mane and Tail (not the greatest shampoo) to help grow my hair faster. It's a horse shampoo, but it can be used on humans. Because I am a bit overweight (it may not look it in the picture) having short hair makes me look bigger.

My "mohawk" 35896

and here is my hair before all of the cutting. I cut it because I was bored, but now that I am more into mermaiding, I regret cutting my hair. It was so thick and long and would have been perfect

Kunoichi Ribeiro
03-05-2016, 07:19 PM
MOHAWK MERMAIDS ARE RAD! No really you just need do do this thing where you look in the mirror and go "yep mermaid." And then viola you're a mermaid wow

Mermaid Wesley sooo what you think about this brazilian mermaid hair who are speaking to you? ;)

Mermaid Wesley
03-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Yeeeesssssss

Mermaid Jaffa
03-05-2016, 10:54 PM
I love my short hair! Its the perfect look for summer. When winter rolls around again, my hair will be a slight longer bob cut. Just enough hair length to cover my ears and keep them warm!

Both styles are very low maintenance too.

Mermaid Chrissa
07-07-2016, 09:51 PM
This was started a long time ago, but it is a neat thread. I think Short hair is spunky and cute on a mermaid. I had hair down to my butt for the longest time and it is also very thick.... buuuut that made it a pain to brush out and take care of so it actually discouraged me from swimming much because it was such a hassle to take care of afterwards. It would get sooooo tangled. I cut my hair to a pixie, which I loved and now I'm letting it grow out a bit to see where exactly I like it. I'm much less hesitant to jump in the water now that my hair is short.

I'm also looking for mermaid hair accessories that would look good in it and that would stay in it though, so this is a cool thread.

Mermaid Alea
07-08-2016, 01:09 AM
I definitely love your hair Mermaid Chrissa! Maybe you could look into making a swimable mermaid crown?

KateyMermaid
07-08-2016, 01:32 AM
Hi. Pixie mermaid checking in.
When I first started mermaiding, I had hair past my chest. I cut it all off in 2011 on a whim. I've never looked back.

I am a swim instructor by day, and mermaid on weekends. Lemme tell you...mermaids with short hair make so much more sense XD
Short hair is so easy in the water. Also between the chlorine damage and dye damage, it's easy to treat and cut off the dry dead ends.
As far as kids are concerned, it's never been an issue. I've had a handful of kids ask why I have short hair. I usually look at them and ask if their hair gets tangled when they swim, or if it gets in their face. They always say yes. I look at them and simply say that mine doesn't do that. I also tell them that fish get caught in long hair :p (Raina, you had a comic talking about unwanted hair hitch hikers awhile back--I stole that answer)

The only downside to short hair as a mermaid is that is does limit the headdress options. Mine is too short or clip based hair accessories. Everything needs to be mounted on a headband.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/e7b16d47a23ca31d2d1d0bb6bd0c6ad7.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/ebe0e2cdb83561e6024bf542e412a550.jpg
(Last year when I was blonde. Loved the color. Too pricey to maintain)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/1e0db0cfd2ca8d389e9f6f7150c41fff.jpg
Super fluffy underwater!

KateyMermaid
07-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Chrissa talk to Mermaid Hyli if Siren Allure or Mermaid Sanctuary Designs. Both make gorgeous headdresses and would probably be happy to modify the design to go on a headband.

Lili
07-09-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm soon to be a mer with a pixie [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

moomer
01-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Fellow short-haired mermaid here!
I shaved my head over 9 years ago now and have never had my hair longer than my shoulders since!
I find it SO much better when swimming. It is easier to pin back, not as heavy, and I can get that tussled look super easy :P
Sometimes I wish I still have my long hair, as I get hair envy really quickly :D
But that being said, it's really easy to pin things in, style, stick under wigs etc. And the maintenance is super easy too!
(Pic attached for reference)

Ayame
03-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Was just thinking abut this today too, when I was coloring in my icon XD
I had long hair for a long time, but my hair was wavy and it really bugged me up in a high ponytailr or a braid. I have a short pixie cut now, but I may cut it differently later down the road, but I love my short hair. I dunno, I think my koi design will match well when I make my tail!

moomer
03-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Short pixie cut would totally match a koi theme!
You could dye bits of it to match your tail colours! :D
(or use hair chalk if dying is too much)

brynnwiens
03-31-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm a Jewish women not religiously but my hair is wavy thick and rough textured a lot of the time I have never had the option of having long hair. It goes a little past the shoulders then breaks off it's been hard growing up as a kid my mother getting tired of the hassle and forcing me to cut my hair I felt like a boy I hated it. Especially seeing my sister get the good hair gen from my dads side and having long shiny healthy beautiful blond hair. I like short hair on some girls but I never felt good with it on me I have had it very short most my life but now I'm growing it back and happy about it it's almost till my shoulders now and I feel good even though it's not super long. I feel like having it blond and wavy even though it's dyed makes me imagine the hair of a surfer girl nice and beach style or even just a girl with a double mermaid life long enough to flow but not long enough to have to much trouble with I love my hair.

aquamtc
04-02-2017, 11:33 AM
I have very very short hair myself, and I keep it short. ( I shaved it in support of st Judes just last February! )
I think its just fine for a mer to have short hair : D It takes all kinds after all. ~
As for hair accessories, You can put clips in your hair and have all sorts of things dangling as others have suggested. Head bands are another option. ^^
I personally have dyed my hair different colors~ You can use a oil biased ( like olive oil ) serum to protect the dye job in the water~

Hi since you mentioned having dyed your hair, I wanted to ask if you ever had a problem of it bleeding out into the pool and do you think it would look dorky be a mermaid in a swim cap? I died my hair a dark color last week and it is so saturated that it still rinses out dark red after four or five washes. I'm dying to get into the pool with my tail( no pun intended) but i'm scared it will bleed out even with the swim cap on and then I'll be kicked out of the pool forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brynnwiens
04-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Hi since you mentioned having dyed your hair, I wanted to ask if you ever had a problem of it bleeding out into the pool and do you think it would look dorky be a mermaid in a swim cap? I died my hair a dark color last week and it is so saturated that it still rinses out dark red after four or five washes. I'm dying to get into the pool with my tail( no pun intended) but i'm scared it will bleed out even with the swim cap on and then I'll be kicked out of the pool forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it kinda depends on the colour I just have my hair bleached blond and it didn't do anything, but I have dyed my hair purple and pink before and the pink stays in the purple bleeds, then again there's more then one type of hair dye or hair type so I can't say for sure what works for who I would just test it out in a bath first to find out.

Ashe
04-02-2017, 07:39 PM
I've had short hair (a bit longer than a pixie cut) for about a year and a half! When I first got it cut, I hated it. I felt terrible, especially when other people started telling me they wish they hadn't cut it. However, I learned the magic of going to a good hairdresser vs. a bad one. So this January I went for another chop, and I love it now! One of my main concerns was that it didn't look "mermaidy" enough, but off with those stereotypes! It is so much easier for a mermaid to deal with; no seaweed in your hair, no getting snagged on coral, no brushing out long hair on a rock for hours. ;)

I may grow it out in a year or two when I'm in college and no longer have to worry about my day job as a hostess. I kind of want to dye it again...

Slim
04-02-2017, 11:06 PM
That hair style looks perfect. I totally forgot seaweed would be an issue with long hair. I guess being a guy I forgot about that.

Ashe
04-02-2017, 11:38 PM
That hair style looks perfect. I totally forgot seaweed would be an issue with long hair. I guess being a guy I forgot about that.

Thanks haha, I try to spike out the back for water pictures or else it all just lies flat and can look funky.

Here is what it looks like when I'm not flipping my fins.

Mermaid Lanier
04-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Thanks haha, I try to spike out the back for water pictures or else it all just lies flat and can look funky.

Here is what it looks like when I'm not flipping my fins.

O_o Your hair is magical. I'm going to have to show this pic to my sister. She loves short hair, and yours is a gorgeous cut.

Ashe
04-02-2017, 11:57 PM
O_o Your hair is magical. I'm going to have to show this pic to my sister. She loves short hair, and yours is a gorgeous cut.

Oh thank you so much! One of my inspirations for cutting my hair was actually seeing this adorable picture of a fawn who had short hair and a darling flower crown. Pretty magical, I'd say :)
I was so happy this time around. Guys, if you're going for the big chop do your research. Know exactly what you want and find a good hair stylist :)

KaylinSilvermerr
04-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Hello Mers!

Long time since I posted here last time, thus I didn't get around to this until now. I am sorry for necro-posting.

BUT HOLY CARP! SHORT HAIRED MERS! THANK YOU FOR THIS!

As you can tell from my profile pic, I am indeed a short haired individual, and I honestly think I look better with short hair than I do with long. As a cosplayer, short hair also makes putting on wigs a little easier too. No funny lumps to try and hide.
But alas, that was one of my main concerns in trying to create a "mer-sona" was the fact that I have short hair...and while sometimes wigs are great for that extra oomph, they carry their own set of issues. Like they are HOT AS HELLS. Not seeing a lot of short haired merfolks, I was starting to get a little discouraged... but then THIS THREAD pops up.

So short haired mers....thank you. Those of you who have posted pics of yourselves in your glorious short-hair-ness; thank you. For those of you that go out in your glorious short-hair mer-sonas; thank you. It is so very encouraging to see this. :D

~Kaylin

Dogfish
04-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Just saw this thread, short hair never bothered me! I considered wigs but to be honest I like my messy short hair as it is. Short hair is funky :)

As for creating a mersona, I guess it makes sense to find ways to change your hair depending on the look, but for me, it's just me as a mermaid, rather than another character.

Alixis
04-13-2017, 08:40 PM
i like short shoulder length hair with a nice seashell crown:D

Mermaid_Mari
07-02-2017, 12:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/e38ea200a6986e3492313c4262da10b9.png

I'm a mer with shaved hair, and I love it! I know a lot of people say long hair is more mermaidy but who cares, I think it fits my mersona, plus it's easier to maintain in chlorine :P

Mermaid Bree
07-02-2017, 12:31 AM
MerPunk?

Melamermaid_Kendra
07-02-2017, 01:07 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/a49a437b846536087de1420bfc787988.jpg

My natural hair is 4c but it has length. The moment it gets wet, it begins to shrink up though. So technically I am a mermaid with short hair, but I'm growing it out! I do like to alternate my hair into Senegalese twists, box braids, and goddess locs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/5e6fd9d10376b0cac32898085c186fb8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/c224727c8394242e71bf3855e4649a6a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/98a50e90e61d507e86958de3b7f075e4.jpg

Arking
07-02-2017, 10:05 PM

I can vouch for this. Short hair does not tangle easily in trees, seaweed, rocks or anything else for that matter. I had cut my locks after one too many run-ins with nature.
Me with former long hair prior to tree molestation.

On that note I've avoided pools of late because I started dying my hair red (too many people asked why I had dark eyebrows but gold hair, this has been a simple fix) ...I'll have to consider some of the advice everyone is giving before I try out the pool once more.

BobLee
07-20-2017, 04:45 AM
Yes, long hair is a stereotype

Mermaid Bree
07-20-2017, 05:34 PM
*sigh*

I could be enticed into not-nice things for hair like that... oh well.

I can vouch for this. Short hair does not tangle easily in trees, seaweed, rocks or anything else for that matter. I had cut my locks after one too many run-ins with nature.
Me with former long hair prior to tree molestation.

On that note I've avoided pools of late because I started dying my hair red (too many people asked why I had dark eyebrows but gold hair, this has been a simple fix) ...I'll have to consider some of the advice everyone is giving before I try out the pool once more.

RiverDragonKaringan
07-20-2017, 08:03 PM
I can attest that short hair no longer strangles or grabs me.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/1ff6316f3d0b84b85539047195f0c6b1.jpg

PDX River Dragon!

Xu Xù
07-26-2017, 05:00 AM
hello,
I am Mer Deryneia from Vietnam, who is waiting for my Finfolk Mythic!!!

Mermaid Oona
07-26-2017, 10:54 AM
I have short hair that stops at my jaw line and I love it. Mermaids can have any length of hair!

Sent from my SM-J320V using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Dolly the Mermaid
07-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Hello! Since there are a couple of hair-related threads in this section, I figure this belongs here...

I have only ever seen 2 pictures of a mermaid with short hair - deviantart drawings - and I wonder why. I think long hair is beautiful and sexy, but short hair on the right person can also reveal her bone structure and uncover her eyes and lips. I think it could be just as pretty on a mermaid - but maybe that's my self-consciousness talking to me. I just recently got my hair cut into a pixie cut and I love it in every area of my life...except in the mermaid department.

My question is, what do you think? Can short hair look good on a mermaid, or does the lack of long hair make her less appealing? Would anyone be able to suggest a way to accessorize so my short hair is shown off instead of ignored?

Thanks for reading!
When I saw this post I couldn't help but think of this comic https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170726/fd48a5dde4ed862aca042250a01e5a38.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

carlitacox
08-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Hey there!What do you think about having Senegalese Twist on curly dark hair?Here are some great ideas http://africanamericanhairstyling.com/senegalese-twist-hairstyles/, but I doubt what to choose and do I need this at all?Please, share your opinions!Thank you!

mermaidrobynn
08-21-2017, 07:43 AM
hello,
I am Mer Deryneia from Vietnam, who is waiting for my Finfolk Mythic!!!
Holy shit, you are absolutely gorgeous o.o

shylittleshadow
08-21-2017, 08:08 AM
So I'm actually really camera shy so I have very few pictures of myself but I feel like sharing this is important. When I was a kid my sister and my best friend had beautiful long hair and I had a pixie cut. I originally cut it for a play. I was always self conscious when we would hang out at the pool because I looked like a chubby little boy. I still hate how it looks when it's wet. This post was encouraging to me because it's nice to see that mermaids with short hair can be just as pretty even if we might not fit the stereotype. - Nyx
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/a1c61af84658fed370d064b863ac7e76.jpg

mermaidrobynn
08-21-2017, 08:14 AM
So I'm actually really camera shy so I have very few pictures of myself but I feel like sharing this is important. When I was a kid my sister and my best friend had beautiful long hair and I had a pixie cut. I originally cut it for a play. I was always self conscious when we would hang out at the pool because I looked like a chubby little boy. I still hate how it looks when it's wet. This post was encouraging to me because it's nice to see that mermaids with short hair can be just as pretty even if we might not fit the stereotype. - Nyx
You are increadibly cute and have absolutely no reason to be camera shy madam. You are beautiful!

shylittleshadow
08-21-2017, 09:38 AM
You are increadibly cute and have absolutely no reason to be camera shy madam. You are beautiful!
You're so sweet! Thank you so much :) - Nyx

Imogen Finnly
08-21-2017, 08:10 PM
I have very short hair! It was very long before I gave birth but it started falling out after I had my son so I cut it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170822/598bb99dc6b488eacce0a60d9c24d439.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Scottish Clara
08-21-2017, 08:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170822/e9bb54e4e9d90a787865df1c7752a276.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Xu Xù
08-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Holy shit, you are absolutely gorgeous o.o
thank you!!! this is old photo, 5 years ago, my first mermaid photoshoot. I am waiting for my tail to do the next photoshoot! :D :D

Xu Xù
08-22-2017, 11:55 AM
you looks to sweet!! <3 <3

shylittleshadow
08-22-2017, 12:12 PM
you looks to sweet!! <3 <3
Haha thanks <3

Gem Stone
10-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Geez, long time no post.

I have certainly switched sides since I joined this thread. Since my family started surfing and sailing, my long hair got stayed tangled and ridiculous. after our first sailing vacation (10 days on a boat in BVI) i whacked off my hair up to my ears. i don't think I'll ever go back long again. sometimes i miss it, but not enough to actually deal with it again.

MissLunaBelle
10-09-2017, 08:44 AM
I've got short hair and while I miss my long hair, I don't miss it all being broken and unmanageable.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/c57462556aaf0bc7cfe961d7b2b43c6e.jpg

malinghi
10-11-2017, 02:52 AM
I know I'm not the first to say it but I totally disagree with the idea that short hair doesn't look mermaidish enough. I think pixie cuts totally look like mermaid hair.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Mermaid Jaffa
10-11-2017, 05:18 AM
I rock a super short pixie hair cut every spring to autumn. Winter time, my hair just look shaggy!

The Water Phoenix
10-11-2017, 05:52 AM
I have a pixie cut! :) I only got it recently and before my hair was REALLY long. I'll miss having long hair but since it's so thick, it's heavy. I don't post pictures of my face often online but here we go. I know I look like I'm 14-15 but I'm actually 17.

moomer
10-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Ahh! You are all so beautiful!!
I got my hair chopped off a couple of weeks ago from short, to very short. I love it. It's SO easy to maintain.
Currently it's straight as I had it dyed today as well :Dhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/d844c990cf52088e644abeca81b5bad8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gay-mermaid
10-11-2017, 08:45 AM
BEFORE

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/a0283adde5dcab012906b86a8e750ad9.jpg

AFTER

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/95d0fb1d7e7aa1a70d8359e7a61a6f80.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/50799c6a44354fe9c66d2b4fc683baec.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/840aec889f8313dbc32dc39c868ccf69.jpg

I've had my hair short for well over a year now, and I've had 4 different color styles!!! I look more like a mermaid with my short hair!!!

Mermaid Kane
10-11-2017, 10:42 AM
BEFORE

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/a0283adde5dcab012906b86a8e750ad9.jpg

AFTER

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/95d0fb1d7e7aa1a70d8359e7a61a6f80.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/50799c6a44354fe9c66d2b4fc683baec.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/840aec889f8313dbc32dc39c868ccf69.jpg

I've had my hair short for well over a year now, and I've had 4 different color styles!!! I look more like a mermaid with my short hair!!!

Ugh, I wish I could cut my hair that short.

I have naturally curly hair, so when I cut it to around my cheekbone, I was exapcting it to be a bit thicker looking, and with more curls.
NOPE! It's quite ugly actually. :/ I need to try to find a new androgynous look for my round face.

NorthSeaAlaria
11-19-2017, 08:06 PM
I've got quite short hair, a full on pixie cut. I tend to wear a wig now for mermaid stuff mostly to get a feel for a sort of character to play, but also because I was having so much trouble with my damn fringe flopping in my eyes all the time. Either way though, I'd probably use my own hair occasionally when needed and it looks great with my starfish hair clip in. It's just a slight faff to deal with.

AlexandraGodessaHoliday
08-23-2018, 06:53 PM
I had a short Bob shaved on one side I've grown it out a bit and now it's just past my shoulders still shaved on one side, but like other people have been saying it really depends on the mermaid and her style. I do more of a siren dark ocean style so a punk cut really helps.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Kwilena
08-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Short hair mermaids unite! Makes sense, who wants extra drag and getting caught up in coral?

MermaidAuquita1998
09-03-2018, 03:38 PM
I have short hair I colored my short hair it’s almost like where u would cut a boys hair. But I left the top long

Mermaid Kisses
Starfish Wishes

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone