PDA

View Full Version : Semi realistic Ariel bra in the making!

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Okay, this is the first time I'm actually making a bra so bare with me ;). My boyfriend and I are going to attend a convention next week in Belgium. I'm going as rock chick Ariel and am still looking for accessories and stuff at the moment.
Of course every mermaid needs her bra and my boyfriend (who is a prop designer/builder) decided it would be best for me to make my own unique shell bra. So we ended up doing a spontaneous Ariel shell bra project!

He used monster makers clay to create a shell shape, made a mold out of it and that resulted in two beautiful casts :). He owns his own little company called Products of design (Link: https://www.facebook.com/prodofdes?fref=ts) and is actually selling the shells as we speak for 30euro/40 usd :). Shipping depends on where you live etc. (We live in the Netherlands by the way).
My boyfriend is also taking requests and it's possible to order a finished and painted pair.

I wanted to share this process with you guys and girls and I'm sure I'll be having some questions along the way. Here are the first pictures.

We used a shell shaped plate for the outlines which my boyfriend adapted to my size. He then made his own version of the Ariel shaped bra because I wanted a semi realistic look.

We made a mold which came out great, we both realized that waiting for it to dry is always the hardest part ^^'.

And this is the result! It's really smooth on the inside and also a little bit flexible which is great for a shell bra! We were both really pleased with the result :D.

My boyfriend still had a little ''iron man red'' left and decided to do a test paint job, mine are going to be purple of course. Can't wait for them to be finished! I'm thinking of adding some seaweed and stuff but I want to see how the shells fit on my bra first.

Hope you enjoyed reading and don't hesitate when you have some questions considering the shells or placing an order! :)

Mermaid Fenicia
10-07-2013, 02:50 PM
If you'll be coming on Sunday to F.A.C.T.S we can meet ;) On Saturday I'll be going to the Gothic- and Fantasy-Fair in Rijswijk ;) Both days in my wheelchair, but I don't know what I'll be cosplaying as I still have to wear a special corset to let my belly heal.

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh you're going as well, nice! :) I'll be attending both days as my boyfriend is a stand holder there so it's possible to meet ^^. And good luck with the wheelchair, I hope you have fun at the fair in Rijswijk :D.

Blaze
10-07-2013, 03:11 PM
VERY cool! About what size bra would they fit? They look to be a good size which is what I am looking for :D

Mermaid Fenicia
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
With what stand will you be there?

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 03:40 PM
VERY cool! About what size bra would they fit? They look to be a good size which is what I am looking for :D

Thank you :), the are 13 cm wide, the height is 14cm and the depth is about 3 cm. It is possible to do costume designs and sizes but it'll cost a bit more :). This size fits my euro 75B.

@Fenicia I will be at the Products of design stand ;)

PearlieMae
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Are they cast in resin?

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Are they cast in resin?

Yes in semi-rigid Urethane resin :)

PearlieMae
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Are they being rotocast or are you hollowing them out? They aren't solid, are they? Sorry for all the questions, I work with resin a lot and it seems like they would be pretty heavy if they are solid.

Blondie
10-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Fancy and perfect!

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Not a problem at all! They are being rotocast and they are about 2 to 3 mm thick which makes them light as a feather ;)

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Fancy and perfect!

Thank you so much :D

Marie-Josie Cayer
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Nice shell bra props! Keep up the good work! :D

Mermaid_Dominique
10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Thank you, appreciate it! ^^

PearlieMae
10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
That's great! Thanks for the information. I love the Ironman red ones, but purple is my absolute favorite color and can't wait to see them! Nice work! :clap:

Mermaid Kassandra
10-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Oh my God they're Amazing!Great job! Are you going to sell this?

Mermaid_Dominique
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh my God they're Amazing!Great job! Are you going to sell this?

Thank you, appreciate it!! Yes they are for sale right now actually :) (just go to: https://www.facebook.com/prodofdes?fref=ts). An unpainted pair costs 30 euro/40 usd, you can also demand a paint job which will cost a little extra.

I hope to show more colors very soon! Blue and purple are up next! :)

Mermaid_Dominique
10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
New colors for the Ariel shell bra! My boyfriend is such a sweetheart, he went to work on the shells again right after school. He wanted to surprise me with three new colors for the shell bra :)! He picked blue, green and midnight blue (which was supposed to look purple-ish but didn't unfortunately). We are going to add purple in the weekend, really excited about that! Also had some time today to search for clothes for my ''rock chick Ariel'' cosplay and found some nice pieces.
For now, here are the pics!

PearlieMae
10-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Ooooooh! Love those deep colors!

Mermaid_Dominique
10-09-2013, 05:14 PM

He finally made two of each, some colors look a bit different than the others because of the light and some are still wet ;). Also wanted to add that they are waterproof so you can use them in and out of water!

Kumori Kitsune
10-09-2013, 10:35 PM
they look so amazing wish my bf could do that

Mermaid_Dominique
10-13-2013, 12:15 PM
they look so amazing wish my bf could do that
Thank you :)! I really feel blessed with him ^^.

I'm working on my bra right now and the shells are finally purple! Bought some different kinds of seaweed and hope to finish it tonight!

Ashton
11-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Are there holes in the side for strings? How heavy are they?
They look amazing by the way.

Mermaid_Dominique
12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Are there holes in the side for strings? How heavy are they?
They look amazing by the way.

There are no holes for strings but they can be added easily ;). They are very light, 200 grams at the most. And thank you =) I promised to post a picture of my final bra but haven't had the chance to do so. I will try to post it this evening or tomorrow!

Mermaid_Dominique
12-02-2013, 05:06 PM
16129 This is my finished bra! I decided to remove the pearls because they kept falling off. I don't know if I'm going to add them later on, what do you girls and guys think? On the right side you can see my outfit, I wore it to F.A.C.T.S 2013 in Belgium and saw some other Ariëls =). My outfit was more of a modern human Ariel, too bad some people thought I was Poison Ivy because of the plants...ah well, I had a blast and maybe I will have a chance to go full mermaid next year =D.