PDA

View Full Version : Mermaiding in Your Own Neighborhood

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, it was the best place I could think to put it.

So, I have a pool in my neighborhood and it's really the only place I have to practice, but I've discovered a bit of a problem: when people ask me who I am I don't know what to say. If they were people I didn't expect to see as a human it'd be easy to just introduce my mermaid self but these are people I will very likely walk by on the street. One day I'd like to be a mermaid profesionally and it seems like I shouldn't muddle up my two names, but what do you do with people who you interact with as a mermaid and as a human?

AniaR
10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I tell them my Mermaid name is Raina. And they can call me that when they see me if they like.

MerAnthony
10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Like Raina I tell them my name is MerAnthony, an on the streets they know me as tony, so I guess it works both ways. You are going to have to decide on what you would call yourself an tell them.

Anahita
10-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I just use my mermaiding name.
1. Because I'm mermaiding, and while it's likely I will see them on the street, I don't mind them calling me by my mermaid name
2. Because I'm pretty sure it's easier for non-Persians to say and remember "Anahita" or even "The Persian Mermaid" than it is for them to say my real name.

I think especially if you're wanting to become professional, it's best to start using the mermaid name, because that's the name people will remember and look you up by if they want to hire you. It's like acting, LARP, or living history... You're "in character" so just use the character name, it makes more sense that way.

Blondie
10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I introduce myself with my actual name. Then maybe I'd give them my stage name. But I feel like if I just went up and said, "Oh hey I'm Mermaid Blondie!" People would be like "Oookaaaay..." You know? xD I feel like if you're like "Oh my name is Sally! I'm a performing mermaid and my alias is Mermaid Shell." People will be like ahhh I get it. She's into this as a hobby not because she has a species disorder xD

telzey.amberdon
10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Goddess usually works.

Aziara
10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Goddess usually works.
Yes! Bow before my mermaid awesomeness! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Gosalyn
10-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Goddess usually works.

Yes! Everyone should call me that!

Thank you guys for your help! I realize now it's totally ok for people to call me Gosalyn while I'm walking around, but I really don't want to be called by my human name in tail. Sometimes it's just so helpful to have other people's experience; this place rocks!

PearlieMae
10-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Hehehe"species disorder"!

Echidna
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I know exactly what species I belong to, thank you very much.

*hisses*
*curls tail*

now where did my mother throw my fangs?

Kumori Kitsune
10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I tell the my name older woman ask what my tail is made of. I have a long walk back fro the pool so alot of people see my fin and tripod.