PDA

View Full Version : This is freakish: swim with dolphins, then eat them

AptaMer
10-14-2013, 03:05 AM
The infamous Japanese town of Taiji (where the annual dolhin slaughter happens, as recorded in the movie The Cove) is proposing to do this- set up a 'swim with the dolphins' tourist attraction, with dolphin meat on sale nearby This goes way beyond the bounds of bad taste IMO, details here

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/09/dolphins-swim-eat-taiji-japan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2455754/Japan-open-water-park-watch-EAT-dolphins.html

SeaGlass Siren
10-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Eew... Okok I know someone I bound to say "but we have farms we go to visit to pet animals and later on we eat then anyway"

AniaR
10-14-2013, 12:18 PM
They're doing everything they can to keep doing what they do in the cove but this year seemed to mark a real turning point in terms of international pressure for them to stop. I think it'll be one of the last if not the last cover hunt this year.

Talia
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Eew... Okok I know someone I bound to say "but we have farms we go to visit to pet animals and later on we eat then anyway"

I would reply to that statement that in a farm we breed animals for that purpose only, and that we are not decimating already endangered wild populations. I would also say that hens/rabbits/cows/sheep/pigs don't have to endure a year of pregnancy and their calves do not take 3 to 5 years to be independent. We also pay veterinarians to look after them, and if they have any problems we help them.

It is an insane thing, but I am also sure that some people would do it. You have people ready to do the darnest things... :anger explode:

ETA: The dolphin in the first link looks adorable!

SeaGlass Siren
10-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Clap clap well said talia :) id like to add that dolphin meat is super high in mercury therefore unsafe for human consumption

Dee Tal
11-10-2013, 01:33 AM
This brings up some much anger I can't even express it. It's a good thing I am not a deity.

drucilla
11-10-2013, 02:07 AM
This is disgusting! I feel so sorry for those dolphins, and every other animal humans eat.

Seatan
11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Lets look at the positive, though. They are now offering swim with the dolphin attractions, which means they are finding other ways to bring money into the area without slaughtering dolphins. This is a step in the right direction which will, hopefully, bring a lot of tourists. Those tourists will likely feel the same way about dolphin meat as we do, and the pressure will be on to stop killing them at all so that they can continue to bring tourists to the area. ( I do realize swimming with dolphin attractions are not the healthiest but they are better than dying!!!!)

Echidna
11-10-2013, 02:33 AM
This brings up some much anger I can't even express it. It's a good thing I am not a deity.
I daresay, if there are any deities that give a crap about this planet, they must have been asleep for a good few thousand years.

Actually, the bible and its sources have many passages saying how disgusted the deities (yes, plural, elohim)
were with humanity, their destructive ways, and reckless *ahem* procreation, thus they attempted to wipe them all out as a failed experiment.
Sadly, there was this one dude, chief genetic engineer, who saved a few by giving them a submarine during the flood :p
(you can read this in the babylonian and sumerian versions of the great flood)

drucilla
11-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Who says Japan isn't being punished, after all that's been going on there. Not making light of their situation or saying its deserved.

MermaidRanoria
11-10-2013, 02:55 AM
I do hope this barbaric act comes to an end soon. Unfortunately I don't think there will be a sharp down turn in killing or a stop to the activity due to cultural aspects. The people in the area view the act much differently then an outsider. It bring in tourism which probably helps keep the village afloat outside of divvying up the catch to various markets. I hate to be so pessimistic about such as sensitive subject, but I just think they are trying to tap into a market to solidify their exponential growing power. I do think the swimming with the dolphins will touch some peoples hearts and will give them the chance to think about the issue at hand more clearly. Maybe even become and activist against the slaughters! Like many things this activity is a sport for many and is profitable. I can't see a noble efforts in this news unfortunately.

Japan can seem like a strange place when it comes to practices like this due to cultural differences. Then again Japan rallied behind the Marimo (an algae ball) at Lake Akan and it became a national treasure and is no protected. So it could happen!